Help Needed! Hair not growing back after surgery

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So Mack had TPLO surgery back in January and he is doing great but the patch of hair they shaved on his back is not growing back. He does have Alopecia from time to time where his hair does thin out but this patch has no new hair growth. I am looking for any type of suggestions and I can take a picture if needed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So Mack had TPLO surgery back in January and he is doing great but the patch of hair they shaved on his back is not growing back. He does have Alopecia from time to time where his hair does thin out but this patch has no new hair growth. I am looking for any type of suggestions and I can take a picture if needed.

Yes photos would be great. Have you tried putting coconut oil or olive oil? CO is high in fatty acids which penetrates deeply into the skin or EVOO is loaded with vitamin E. Or mix both together.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Jax's last cervical surgery site took forever to grow back this time but I am fairly certain he had some hair growth after 4 months and you say there is no hair growth?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My groomer told me to scratch the area backwards, against the way the hair grows. To help stimulate the folicle.

Lambeau growth took three to four months to come back in after surgery to have a tumor removed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Do you use vitamins or supplements? Fish oil with high omega3 content coconut oil and joint supplements ( hair is keratin, so needs same supplements as joints) can help grow hair.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter is almost completely bald on both of his flanks... this has been the worst year for his seasonal alopecia!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
With some dogs(older dogs especially), it can take up to a year for hair to completely return. After 1 year, if not filled in, then be concerned.

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Yes photos would be great. Have you tried putting coconut oil or olive oil? CO is high in fatty acids which penetrates deeply into the skin or EVOO is loaded with vitamin E. Or mix both together.

Yeah I give him Salmon bites vitamins but no luck.
IMG-8544.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Walter is almost completely bald on both of his flanks... this has been the worst year for his seasonal alopecia!!!

yeah it has been a rough one this year, last year I had no problems

- - - Updated - - -

IMG-8544.JPG
Jax's last cervical surgery site took forever to grow back this time but I am fairly certain he had some hair growth after 4 months and you say there is no hair growth?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9557]Jlambe[/MENTION]. Salmon bites won’t cut it. Get coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Mix and do like Christine just mentioned.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
With some dogs(older dogs especially), it can take up to a year for hair to completely return. After 1 year, if not filled in, then be concerned.

Yes. ^^^

Monty's hair took over a year to grow back after his last surgery. I think I have posts on here lamenting that fact! I thought it would never grow again as he was as bald as a cue ball. It did come back in eventually but it was very patchy, not all at once. He still has a small spot where it never grew back. I tried NuStock, melatonin, coconut oil etc and nothing helped. I gave up and let nature take its course.

He has a smallish patch of SFA and has for a year now but I think he is going to lose a lot more pretty soon. His hair is getting very thin on his back. This year seems to have been worse for everything!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
It’s five months since Dudleys CCL surgery and he still has a big patch of shorter/lighter hair on his leg. I honestly thought it would only take a couple of months considering I practically empty a full Bulldog coat out of the vacuum cleaner every time I empty it! :D

3CEB79E3-E764-42D8-B5F8-EFCC585AFD8E.jpeg

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It took Vegas 5 months to grow back his hair after his tail surgery. It was several months after that before it matched perfectly.

But not seeing any new growth is kind of weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It took Vegas 5 months to grow back his hair after his tail surgery. It was several months after that before it matched perfectly.

But not seeing any new growth is kind of weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty had no growth at all, not even peach fuzz!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.