Flesh Eating Bacteria - 3 week old Puppy ANY INFORMATION or EXPERIENCE?

gooselover

Apr 10, 2011
I have a 3 week old puppy. He was normal one day and down the next, suspecting pneumonia. I treated him for such...however, I have had him diagnosed with Clostridium - Staph Toxic Shock Syndrome - Flesh Eating Bacteria. I have been giving antibiotics, washing with Malasab, and doing every thing possible. This puppy is doing well and still thriving, however, his chest area is a MESS. Per the vet, there is really nothing to do but supportive therapy - which I am doing. My question is - has ANYONE experienced this? Please tell me your story and what you did. I appreciate ANY help on this. Thank you!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I have not experienced this but I am sure you will get some supportive feedback. Poor puppy .. best of luck to you with this condition.. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no experience with this, just bacterial skin infection but not staph related. I bathed with special shampoo and gave antibiotics... After 3 weeks she was better but not improving. I ended up changing dog food and she was 10x better the next day.

This was not a young pup but a mom, I suspect it is immune system related.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is puppy starting on mush? Perhaps allergic to the food?

OP
G

gooselover

Apr 10, 2011
No, this is nothing really food related. Puppy was on mama. This bacteria is found everywhere and usually enters thru a wound or is airborne and thus, thru the nostrils. Clostridium is a bacteria that has numerous numerous different types. Black leg in cows is a form of Clostridium. The type of bacteria that entered this puppy is was TTS type that releases a toxin or gas that actually eats the flesh. This puppy started "bleeding" or hemorrhaging underneath his skin and then it just "bursts" open - the gas per se. I sure hope someone has had some experience with this.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh I have no idea and not sure who on here may have any info on this. I cant even imagine what all you must be going thru! Hopefully somebody will have something knowledgeable to add. :*(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my, that sounds horrible! :eek: I sure hope it all works out, I feel so bad for you both :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I thought somebody on here had experienced this and now for the life of me I can't remember who it was. If I'm right, I hope they see this thread and can give you some wonderful advice. So sorry to hear what you and your bully are going through!!

L

Lucy-licious

Poor puppy to have something so awful so young. I have no experience with this at all!
All you can do is trust in your vet and do everything you have been told to do
I hope he gets well soon.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Have you tried a holistic vet? I am dealing with a skin infection, also... not quite as severe as your case, but the holistic vet was much better at skin infections and treating it. ***Just a thought***

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Have you tried a holistic vet? I am dealing with a skin infection, also... not quite as severe as your case, but the holistic vet was much better at skin infections and treating it. ***Just a thought***

[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] I knew somebody was having a similar problem .. thought it could be you. I hoped that you would have more insight into this!! :up:

OP
G

gooselover

Apr 10, 2011
Thought I would update everyone. This pup was diagnosed with Staph with vasculitis. Let me tell you, I wish to heck I would be able to know how he got it, but I will never know. He's doing great, looks like crap, but he's a survivor. This is an UGLY thing to have happen. If anyone ever comes across it, let me know as I am the QUEEN now of Vasculitis!

L

Lucy-licious

So is the treatment working [MENTION=2190]gooselover[/MENTION] will your little boy be ok?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.