Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flesh Eating Bacteria - 3 week old Puppy ANY INFORMATION or EXPERIENCE?

Default Flesh Eating Bacteria - 3 week old Puppy ANY INFORMATION or EXPERIENCE?

I have a 3 week old puppy. He was normal one day and down the next, suspecting pneumonia. I treated him for such...however, I have had him diagnosed with Clostridium - Staph Toxic Shock Syndrome - Flesh Eating Bacteria. I have been giving antibiotics, washing with Malasab, and doing every thing possible. This puppy is doing well and still thriving, however, his chest area is a MESS. Per the vet, there is really nothing to do but supportive therapy - which I am doing. My question is - has ANYONE experienced this? Please tell me your story and what you did. I appreciate ANY help on this. Thank you!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flesh Eating Bacteria - 3 week old Puppy ANY INFORMATION or EXPERIENCE?

I have not experienced this but I am sure you will get some supportive feedback. Poor puppy .. best of luck to you with this condition..

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have no experience with this, just bacterial skin infection but not staph related. I bathed with special shampoo and gave antibiotics... After 3 weeks she was better but not improving. I ended up changing dog food and she was 10x better the next day.

This was not a young pup but a mom, I suspect it is immune system related.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Is puppy starting on mush? Perhaps allergic to the food?

Default Re: Flesh Eating Bacteria - 3 week old Puppy ANY INFORMATION or EXPERIENCE?

No, this is nothing really food related. Puppy was on mama. This bacteria is found everywhere and usually enters thru a wound or is airborne and thus, thru the nostrils. Clostridium is a bacteria that has numerous numerous different types. Black leg in cows is a form of Clostridium. The type of bacteria that entered this puppy is was TTS type that releases a toxin or gas that actually eats the flesh. This puppy started "bleeding" or hemorrhaging underneath his skin and then it just "bursts" open - the gas per se. I sure hope someone has had some experience with this.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my gosh I have no idea and not sure who on here may have any info on this. I cant even imagine what all you must be going thru! Hopefully somebody will have something knowledgeable to add.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh my, that sounds horrible! I sure hope it all works out, I feel so bad for you both

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I thought somebody on here had experienced this and now for the life of me I can't remember who it was. If I'm right, I hope they see this thread and can give you some wonderful advice. So sorry to hear what you and your bully are going through!!

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

WOW!! how sad and frustrating!!! I have had no experience with that.

hope your puppy gets better
    Last edited by kazzy220; 04-11-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: removed external link

Lucy-licious

Poor puppy to have something so awful so young. I have no experience with this at all!
    All you can do is trust in your vet and do everything you have been told to do
    I hope he gets well soon.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I will cross post this on fb too.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried a holistic vet? I am dealing with a skin infection, also... not quite as severe as your case, but the holistic vet was much better at skin infections and treating it. ***Just a thought***
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads