How hot is too hot for walks?

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
We are just hitting the nice weather and today is about 75 . I took Samson for a walk and he seemed to be panting pretty quick so we turned around. I know 75 might not be too bad but how long of a wall would you do?

Also..summers get 90-108 sometimes ..is that definently no waking?

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

L

Lucy-licious

Those that live in hot climates will be better equipped to advise but I would say keep outside time to a minimum
Get plenty cooling aids [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] mentioned a kool collar that has slots for icepacks :)
And keep walking for when the sun goes down xx

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ahh great advice. I'm gun a look into the cooling collars I have never heard of before.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida we also get over 100* many days, I do not walk Vegas at all during the day, occasionally about one block at night, our indoor activities pick up though, more fetch, and I have my son bring his dog over a couple times a week for indoor play. It has been almost 90 this weekend, and Joe and I took him about half a block last night around 8.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It also depends on how warm the ground is - dogs absorb heat through their pads so even if it isn't warm out, if the ground retains heat, it can be too hot.

For example, I tried to take my bullies for a walk at night after multiple 100+ degree days in Arizona and even though it's under 90 degrees out with no sun, the ground is so warm that it creates an increase in body temperature and a potentially dangerous situation.

I don't think 75 degrees is too warm. I walk my bullies all the time in that weather and, especially Linus, pants hard even on a short walk. That said, use your judgment and if you see any signs that your bully is too hot, there's no need to push it. It's always best to fault on the side of caution and bring a cool cloth and water with you, especially if you're going on an extended walk.

You've probably seen it, but in case you missed it, check out this article on bulldogs and heat. I lost Bentley to heatstroke and I had no idea how fast it could happen until it did.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
It also depends on how warm the ground is - dogs absorb heat through their pads so even if it isn't warm out, if the ground retains heat, it can be too hot.

For example, I tried to take my bullies for a walk at night after multiple 100+ degree days in Arizona and even though it's under 90 degrees out with no sun, the ground is so warm that it creates an increase in body temperature and a potentially dangerous situation.

I don't think 75 degrees is too warm. I walk my bullies all the time in that weather and, especially Linus, pants hard even on a short walk. That said, use your judgment and if you see any signs that your bully is too hot, there's no need to push it. It's always best to fault on the side of caution and bring a cool cloth and water with you, especially if you're going on an extended walk.

You've probably seen it, but in case you missed it, check out this article on bulldogs and heat. I lost Bentley to heatstroke and I had no idea how fast it could happen until it did.

great advice here and be sure to read the article.. I did and it was very informative to me.. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree 75 isnt too hot in general but I wouldnt really wanna go any higher personally. If he was sounding tired then little walks are best. They will tell you what they can handle, you learned this already tho. ;) Also depends on humidity, in California it doesnt often get very humid so that isnt a worry so much.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION][MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION]
Here is the link to the Kool collars....Carolina Pet Pantry sells them.

Carolina Pet Pantry Product List

Not only does she offer free shipping..but this is cheaper than when I bought them at my local Mud Bay store.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say that generally 75 isn't too hot ... but I think every bulldog is different and so you'll just have to see how Samson responds to the heat as you walk him. I know Maggie wouldn't be able to go too far even at 75, and also in NE Ohio we get a lot of humidity - so walks become a big no-no!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.