Big Mac is very gassy/farty/stinky.... what can I do??

mamamia

Apr 5, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki (EB) and Big Mac (OEB)
Big Mac is an Olde English and we have had him for 1 year. Most likely he is now 5 or 6 years old (he came from a rescue).

I have changed his food a few times in the past year due to his explosions of gas and stink...
He appears bloated and his farts are very loud and stink aweful...:*(

Very often he even has to walk away from it. :lol:

I know that gas is a bully think, however what could I change to his diet in order to limit this?

I would love to give him yogurt, fruit and veggies for snacks, but am not sure if that might make it worse.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I have to say I would try some pro-biotics for him. I have used them in an array of my pets from reptiles to birds and my dogs. They are a wonderful product especially at times of stress.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
food plays a major part in gassiness! Chaos was extremely gassy when he was on beneful, switched him to Fromm 4 star and he had almost no gas! He wasn't gaining right on the 4star so we had to transition him back on puppy Fromm and he still has no where near as much gas! What are u feeding him?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed Fromm and have no gas, even with adding veggies and fruits as treats.

As [MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION] mentioned it just so happens that Fromm has Enzymes/probiotics in their Guaranteed Analysis. All foods claim to have it, but if it is not in the guaranteed analysis then it may only have just a trace of it.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
I agree with all of the above posts. Food plays a major role in how gassy your bully is. Have you had his anal glands expressed recently? My bully has gone a couple of times to have them done but they were all clear. My vet and groomer said having this done can help a lot with the smells. Hope this helps and Big Mac no longer has to walk away from his own farts.:D

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day,
Food does play a very important part of the diet. Bullies do have gas, but no need to wear a gas mask in your house or car. There are very good, high quality PREMIUM brands of dog food available. Look at the list on this site of how the foods are graded. This is not scientific, but hundreds of people that share the results does imply accuracy. Also watch out for the "other" treats. If you are feeding a quality dog food but then feeding a non-quality biscuit, you can still end up with obnoxious gas syndrome (OGS). Frozen green beans are a good treat, but there are very good, grain free biscuits as well. Also be on the lookout for what your Bullie is eating outside? What kind of stuff are they eating from the ground?
When you switch brand of dog food, do it over the course of a week. Start switching over slowly to not jolt the GI system. 90/10, 80/20, 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, 30/70, 20/80, 10/90. This can be done in a 5-7 day period. Once you have switched over, allow enough time to see the results. It could take several weeks to see if the gas calms down. Also be sure and watch the stools for any changes.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@mammamia What are you feeding him?? I have both of mine on Fromm, and yet Daddy had the most awful stinky gas. He couldn't just clear a room .. he could clear the house!!! :eek:

Purely by accident (because I wanted to try the Fromm 4* Beef FRittata) we tried a grain free food and his smelly gas virtually cleared up completely!! It was wonderful!! Just to test the theory, the last bag I got was the Fromm 4* Salmon and back came the smelly farts. My next bag of grain free beef frittata should arrive from Petflow this morning ... phew!!! :up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.