2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Otis' problem has been diagnosed as saliva gland also. Sounds like you have had this problem with one of your babies? Was there fever? How did you resolve it? What did it feel like? sorry but I spent all day sitting and watching Otis......just staring...poor doggy. I am just so worried.

No fever.. he was not playful, but otherwise normal. 10-14 days of antibiotics and three weeks of steroids.

Here is a picture of the lump

514d638492f40cb3c30c249cc8692087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
was the lump firm? did you ever figure out what caused it?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
was the lump firm? did you ever figure out what caused it?

Yes, felt like a little stone... no idea. Vet said it just happens, he called it like a blockage

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
this feels like a golf ball/ small avocado. Hoping 2 abx and prednisone will help it. Did you use probiotics with the antibiotics? Sorry to be picking your brain like this bit I'm in small town Arkansas and have never wanted more to be back in Kansas City near multiple vets and ERs.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
this feels like a golf ball/ small avocado. Hoping 2 abx and prednisone will help it. Did you use probiotics with the antibiotics? Sorry to be picking your brain like this bit I'm in small town Arkansas and have never wanted more to be back in Kansas City near multiple vets and ERs.

No worries... ask all you need to.

I use raw goats milk as a daily probiotic with or without antibiotics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, salivary gland inflammation! It happens, hopefully it will get smaller from antibiotics. Glad that it is not lymph node!
If there is bad smell in the pocket, you should wash it with hydrogen peroxide, pour ample amount, just squirt and let it run. It will burn, but peroxide is always used in surgery to clean putrid wounds. It releases tons of oxygene and cleans rotten wounds killing bacteria. It penetrates everywhere. After 20 mins pat dry it and put Neosporin ointment. Another option is Hibiclens, this can be used instead of peroxide, hibiclens doesnā€™t burn. But to be honest with you, peroxide is better.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18046]Mpillers[/MENTION], I use to raise Dobermans. What great dogs! Regarding EO here is a link that explains how to use, what to use n for what problem n not. Also I had same issue not going deep enough cleaning Nyalaā€™s tail pocket. Been 3yrs now. 3 yrs ago was supposed to amputate her tail n I refused n started her on essential oils. She has had this mixture for a few years with fantastic results. I would clean her tail every 2-3 days n finally can say about 5 months ago I now clean every 3weeks. Great recipe for ear maintenance too.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (cedar or thuja)
5-8 drops of tea tree

Buy a bottle about 4oz size, add a good 2oz of the CO then add your drops...

Fractionated Coconut Oil (clear one) to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full? Shake bottle well before using.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Oh, salivary gland inflammation! It happens, hopefully it will get smaller from antibiotics. Glad that it is not lymph node!
If there is bad smell in the pocket, you should wash it with hydrogen peroxide, pour ample amount, just squirt and let it run. It will burn, but peroxide is always used in surgery to clean putrid wounds. It releases tons of oxygene and cleans rotten wounds killing bacteria. It penetrates everywhere. After 20 mins pat dry it and put Neosporin ointment. Another option is Hibiclens, this can be used instead of peroxide, hibiclens doesnā€™t burn. But to be honest with you, peroxide is better.
thank you so much. As sick as he is, you have all given me hope just knowing this happens and is recoverable. I am also glad it isn't a lymph node. My Vet felt the key areas to see if there was lymph involvement and found no other inflammation or lumps. Thank Dog!

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
New question. Otis seems depressed. His swelling has gone down some, more concentrated than wide spread, his appetite is good, resting a lot and leaving toys alone and seems depressed. Am I expecting too much too soon from the antibiotics? Does that indicate pain? I have vetprophen but have been hesitant due to stomach upset.
A little backstory here. I found this guy in the middle of nowhere a year ago January. I mean MIDDLE OF NOWHERE national forrest here in Arkansas. In a year he has had a srvere respiratory infection, growth removed from his eye, pamploma warts removed from his foot...I just worry that this wonderful little dog is just not well.
I have had mainly Dobermans and two mix breed sweethearts and due to DCM and age lost 3 dogs in less than 3 years. I'm so madly in love with this guy and am so afraid when he is not well that I become a helicopter mom. We estimate he is about 2 yrs old. So please forgive the questions!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It can possibly indicate pain, but it is so difficult to judge with these little guys, they donā€™t talk! You are not a helicopter mom, you are just normal bulldog mom:). I guess we are all like this here. Bulldogs are very special, in 3 years I became totally obsessed with bulldogs, my husband is jealous and says that I love our dog more than anyone else. And it is difficult not to be worried about bulldogs because they have very weak health and always have some issues. Skin, eyes, tail, joints, butt...
Antibiotic is definitely working on his gland from your description, but full resolution of swelling will take weeks. But it seems like it is not going to form an abscess which is definitely good.
But how is tail pocket thing going? Weā€™re you able to stop the process there? Is the bad odour gone? You must be very attentive with this pocket issue and aggressively clean it and put ointment as just oral antibiotic wonā€™t be enough to treat infection.
Again, I donā€™t want to make you worried more, but keep in mind that he was bitten by the tick and is not out of the woods yet. Keep a close eye on him, treat tail pocket and salivary gland and see what happens.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We all worry all the time... ask all and any question you have.

I agree with Natalia... he isnā€™t feeling well and just wants to rest. Have you added a probiotic to his daily routine?

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
It can possibly indicate pain, but it is so difficult to judge with these little guys, they donā€™t talk! You are not a helicopter mom, you are just normal bulldog mom:). I guess we are all like this here. Bulldogs are very special, in 3 years I became totally obsessed with bulldogs, my husband is jealous and says that I love our dog more than anyone else. And it is difficult not to be worried about bulldogs because they have very weak health and always have some issues. Skin, eyes, tail, joints, butt...
Antibiotic is definitely working on his gland from your description, but full resolution of swelling will take weeks. But it seems like it is not going to form an abscess which is definitely good.
But how is tail pocket thing going? Weā€™re you able to stop the process there? Is the bad odour gone? You must be very attentive with this pocket issue and aggressively clean it and put ointment as just oral antibiotic wonā€™t be enough to treat infection.
Again, I donā€™t want to make you worried more, but keep in mind that he was bitten by the tick and is not out of the woods yet. Keep a close eye on him, treat tail pocket and salivary gland and see what happens.

Update on Otis. I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. After over a week of progress and then setbacks the salivary gland is finally gone down and Otis is back to his playful self. I'm continuing antibiotics and probiotics thank you to all of you suggested it, until the end of this week. He would seem to get better and then turn around and act like he didn't feel well again.It took a few panic calls to the vet to get to a point where I felt we had turned a corner. I am very fortunate to have a very indulgent vet!
In short, thank all of you whp got me through this crisis with your attentiveness and kind words, this is a wonderful resource for information and comfort.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.