Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hi I am a newer member and also new to Bulldogs having just found my little guy a year ago. My bully plays with a neighbor's bulldog including biting and holding on to each other's faces and jaws. It appears that they're being gentle, there's no growling or signs of distress. However last night I noticed a golf ball size swelling under my dog's jaw where the lymph node would be. I live in a rural area where there is no emergency vet available but I called my veterinarian and left a message and they called me promptly this morning before 8. Of course I took my dog to the vet immediately by then this golf ball-sized swelling had become about the size of a small avocado.
The vet said it was an inflamed lymph node, he was running a 103 temp, had irritation in his tail pocket. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and also another shot of abx for me to give him in the morning. Then I have a return appointment on Thursday. I was told to watch for a soft spot developing in the swelling as that would be a sign of abscess it would have to be drained. My question is, do you think this was from the rough play with the neighbor dog? The neighbors bulldog has an inch underbite and I'm wondering if perhaps the lymph node was irritated by the tooth of the other bully or if it was just coincidental. They love playing together so much that I hate restricting that however also don't want another injury like this to my Otis. I need input as well as ideas for the tail pocket. I thought I was keeping it cleaned but had noticed a smell like an expressed anal gland. I'm apparently not doing something right so help me all you can because I'm madly in love with his dog I want to do what's best for him but Bulldogs are a complete foreign creature to me! Thank you in advance

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
No, it is 100% not from play unless there was an open wound or scratch, but you would probably notice it. Nodes usually get inflamed from infection circulating in ones body, as nodes are places where infections get killed by immune cells. So, more often, infection comes from inside to a lymph nodes. Usually nodes pop up in the area where primal infection is, e.g. node under the jaw usually comes from infection in the tooth, sore in the mouth, sore throat etc.
But in your case this node is definitely from undertail infection, it happens that primary infection is in one place and node get inflamed in other area of the body.
So, treat his tail pocket thoroughly and he can play again with his buddy!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My Tank has super deep pocket, so my routine for tail pocket is
1) after shower extremely thoroughly dry the pocket with paper towels, 2-3 times, and if he was outside in the rain, too! I was sloppy one time after rain and his pocket spoiled immediately!
2) I wipe it with witch hazel and leave for 30 mins to work
3) after that I put Neosporin ointment in the pocket
2) and 3) I donā€™t do every day, I do it every third day. But I check it pretty much every day, as it can spoil real quick.
Be also very diligent with washing off shampoo from this area, leaving shampoo there can easily cause problems.

And donā€™t blame yourself, it changes so fast - my Tank had no tail pocket issues before 1,5 yo, and then boom! One day itā€™s all red.

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thank you so much! I forgot to mention a very important fact. A few days ago I found a tick on his neck close to the now swollen area. I check him after every walk as he loves to get in the leaves. Bad me for thinking it was too early for his flea/tick collar. Your advice about witch hazel and neosporin is being instituted as we speak. thank you thank you!

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thank you so much! I forgot to mention a very important fact. A few days ago I found a tick on his neck close to the now swollen area. I check him after every walk as he loves to get in the leaves. Bad me for thinking it was too early for his flea/tick collar. Your advice about witch hazel and neosporin is being instituted as we speak. thank you thank you!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, this is really important. I mean this tick bite. Did you discuss it with your vet?
What antibiotic does he get? It is better if he gets Doxycycline or Amoxicilline, as these two antibiotics are given in case of tick bite to prevent tick- borne infections like Lyme and borreliosis. Discuss it with vet ASAP. Treatment should be 3 days long.
For protection I would recommend Bravecto chews, as you stay in rural area itā€™s high risk, donā€™t take chances.
Bravecto is convenient because you need to give it only 4 times a year and it works for 3 months.
We spend a lot of time outdoors in the forests of Georgia and I use Bravecto, from time to time I find in Tanks fur a tick, but not sucked into his skin, just in his fur, and when I examine them with magnifying glass, I can see they are alive, but hardly move their feet, that means that they tried to bite Tank, sucked some blood and was poisoned.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Never stop tick profilactic, give it all year round, nowadays winters became warmer and even in 32F temperatures when it is really sunny, some of these vicious little creatures can wake up and crawl. I just give it 1st of January, April, July, October.

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Never stop tick profilactic, give it all year round, nowadays winters became warmer and even in 32F temperatures when it is really sunny, some of these vicious little creatures can wake up and crawl. I just give it 1st of January, April, July, October.
I will call the vet and leave a message for first thing in the morning. I have Doxy on hand. I have been happy with the seresto flea/tick collar. I was under the understanding that once the tick bit, the tick borne disease was injected into the dog even if the tick died from biting the treated pet. Perhaps the preventative prevents the disease from entering the system. Needless to say thanks for the recommendation, I will start an oral preventative immediately

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It needs time, professional literature cites different opinions on this matter, but it is usually not very likely that tick who wasnā€™t able to attach and stay on dog or human for at least hour will be able to infect them. On the other hand, it is true that Seresto collar prevents from biting, so if it works well for your fur baby, may be you should stick to it.
But duscuss with doctor may be it is better to switch antibiotic to Doxycycline because anyway his tail pocket is not good and this story with tick and swollen lymph node I donā€™t like at all. Swollen node looks like symptom of Ehrlychiosis.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Sorry but a flea/tick collar is made with pesticides. Itā€™s all chemical. Proven fact. I live not far from the Rockies n I hike there often with the dogs. I put a few drops of lavender essential oil on top (outside) of their collars n spray them with EO mix. So far never had ticks, never got bitten by mosquitoes or any insects.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/new-fda-warning-about-flea-and-tick-medications/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Sorry but a flea/tick collar is made with pesticides. Itā€™s all chemical. Proven fact. I live not far from the Rockies n I hike there often with the dogs. I put a few drops of lavender essential oil on top (outside) of their collars n spray them with EO mix. So far never had ticks, never got bitten by mosquitoes or any insects.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/new-fda-warning-about-flea-and-tick-medications/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html
I am soo open for trying EO. I have held a suspicion that dog cancers have risen proportionately with the influx of long lasting oral tick medication.
Just my own feelings so pkease do not bombard me with adverse facts and figures. I just want my dog well.
That said, we went back to the vet this a.m. Still swollen and still running a fever. I was able to see my vet (she was out of office last visit). She aspirated a small bit of tissue from the lump and believes it is salivary gland issue rather than lymph node as there was no lymph in the aspiration but was salivary tissue. We are going with a course of abx and pred and seeing what the weekend brings. If there is no improvement by weekend end then goibg to look at surgery. There was scant aspirant so it is not an abcess at this point. I am just getting back to this thread and am going to say how much I greatly appreciate each and every one of you and your concern.
BTW, this tail pocket thing is new to me and I am apparently not wiping often enough or deep enough as he has a significant odor and irritation there too. As I stated before, this guy was a foundling, I have ample experience with Dobermans but the Bulldog is a new and very delightful experience.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] is this the same issue Cheli had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] is this the same issue Cheli had?

No, he had a swollen saliva gland... no real issue other than his throat being swollen

OP
M

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
No, he had a swollen saliva gland... no real issue other than his throat being swollen

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Otis' problem has been diagnosed as saliva gland also. Sounds like you have had this problem with one of your babies? Was there fever? How did you resolve it? What did it feel like? sorry but I spent all day sitting and watching Otis......just staring...poor doggy. I am just so worried.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.