Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I just noticed a swollen area in Brutusā€™s mouth. Itā€™s under his tongue and looks like a fluid filled sac. Itā€™s really hard to look at or get a picture, Iā€™ll try to get one. Is this an emergency? Can I just make him an appointment in a day or two? Just watch it? Heā€™s 4 months old and hasnā€™t had any problems yet, Iā€™m kind of freaking out. Itā€™s pretty big but isnā€™t affecting his breathing or eating.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just noticed a swollen area in Brutusā€™s mouth. Itā€™s under his tongue and looks like a fluid filled sac. Itā€™s really hard to look at or get a picture, Iā€™ll try to get one. Is this an emergency? Can I just make him an appointment in a day or two? Just watch it? Heā€™s 4 months old and hasnā€™t had any problems yet, Iā€™m kind of freaking out. Itā€™s pretty big but isnā€™t affecting his breathing or eating.

Since heā€™s a pup, could he had play with a harder toy or bone and hit under the tongue n swelled up? Does it hurt him if you touch it, is he still eating, playing or acting like a puppy?

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Since heā€™s a pup, could he had play with a harder toy or bone and hit under the tongue n swelled up? Does it hurt him if you touch it, is he still eating, playing or acting like a puppy?

It doesnā€™t seem to bug him at all. I only noticed it because he yawned in my face. He could have irritated it, heā€™s pretty crazy and chews his bully sticks constantly. It just looks weird. Like a bulb. It doesnā€™t look like typical swelling.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus

And yes heā€™s still acting like his crazy self. Maybe a little less chewing today but no obvious signs itā€™s bothering him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
And yes heā€™s still acting like his crazy self. Maybe a little less chewing today but no obvious signs itā€™s bothering him.

Keep an eye on it. I personally wouldnā€™t bring him just yet for a vet visit. Wait n see tomorrow. Let him chew on some ice chips. And avoid his bones for tonight. Keep us posted please!! We are here.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hereā€™s some photos. They are awful pictures but itā€™s hard to get his mouth open and take a picture E3B3E057-8FB2-4455-9715-B70CC2B7FAB6.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oooooo. that is a tad big... check it tonight before going to bed make sure itā€™s stable in size....if it hasnā€™t changed in the morning, yes I would go have it checked out. He could of pinched a nerve n it swelled but yes definitely have it checked out if itā€™s the same size in the morning.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Oooooo. that is a tad big... check it tonight before going to bed make sure itā€™s stable in size....if it hasnā€™t changed in the morning, yes I would go have it checked out. He could of pinched a nerve n it swelled but yes definitely have it checked out if itā€™s the same size in the morning.

Thank you! I emailed the vet and she said to bring him in before his next appointment. They didnā€™t have anything until next Friday though so I just sent her pictures and asked if I should bring him as an emergency tomorrow if itā€™s unchanged. My poor boy :(

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would insist on your Vet looking at that. Tell them you need to be seen right away and you cannot afford an Emergency Vet. See where that gets you...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oooh yeah...thatā€™s pretty big. Definitely a vet visit if it doesnā€™t go down. Maybe some sort of cyst or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I would insist on your Vet looking at that. Tell them you need to be seen right away and you cannot afford an Emergency Vet. See where that gets you...

They have emergency hours and itā€™s the same price. I just talked to her on the phone though and she looked at the pictures and is confident itā€™s a salivary mucocele under the tongue. Heā€™ll have to have surgery to remove the gland on that side but she doesnā€™t think itā€™s an emergency. She gave me signs to look for like bleeding or if it gets any bigger, bring him in. If not she thinks itā€™s okay to wait for the 22nd for him to be seen and schedule the surgery. Which Iā€™m freaking out about. I didnā€™t want him put under so young.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Oooh yeah...thatā€™s pretty big. Definitely a vet visit if it doesnā€™t go down. Maybe some sort of cyst or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She thinks itā€™s a salivary mucocele which is when the salivary glad gets injured or clogged. Itā€™s producing too much saliva with no where to go. Leading to the cyst type thing. I looked it up after she mentioned it and that does fit it exactly. But Iā€™ll feel better after heā€™s seen by a vet.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Good luck with the treatment and healing. Wishing you guys a smooth process.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Good luck with the treatment and healing. Wishing you guys a smooth process.

Thank you! Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be expensive but heā€™s worth it. Just hope everything goes well.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online