helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
She thinks itā€™s a salivary mucocele which is when the salivary glad gets injured or clogged. Itā€™s producing too much saliva with no where to go. Leading to the cyst type thing. I looked it up after she mentioned it and that does fit it exactly. But Iā€™ll feel better after heā€™s seen by a vet.

Good! Like mentioned it is bigger than what I was picturing before the photo. Just keep an eye on it but definitely a vet is needed. I know itā€™s hard but try to stay calm..Brutus needs a calm momma....Do keep us posted...

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Iā€™m trying to stay calm! At least I know itā€™s not life threatening or anything. I am worried about surgery on such a young puppy but Iā€™m going to do research and ask lots of questions. Hopefully itā€™s something that can at least wait a month or two. Iā€™d feel better about surgery at 6 months instead of 4. She also mentioned doing brachycephalic correction at the same time, so he doesnā€™t need to be under twice. Ugh so much to think about and research. Iā€™ll update after the appointment!
Heā€™s snuggled up close to me :)
83A29011-E80E-4F8C-BACA-AACBCFAA8F9F.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m trying to stay calm! At least I know itā€™s not life threatening or anything. I am worried about surgery on such a young puppy but Iā€™m going to do research and ask lots of questions. Hopefully itā€™s something that can at least wait a month or two. Iā€™d feel better about surgery at 6 months instead of 4. She also mentioned doing brachycephalic correction at the same time, so he doesnā€™t need to be under twice. Ugh so much to think about and research. Iā€™ll update after the appointment!
View attachment 115814

We just went through something similar with our Frenchie... swollen/infected saliva gland, his was below in neck, kind of, we addressed it with anti-inflammation and steroids, took about 10 days to clear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
We just went through something similar with our Frenchie... swollen/infected saliva gland, his was below in neck, kind of, we addressed it with anti-inflammation and steroids, took about 10 days to clear up.

Oh interesting! I wonder if we can find a way to get rid of it without surgery. The vet seemed to think surgery was the only option to completely get rid of the issue. But Iā€™m looking into a second vet with good recommendations to get a second opinion if needed.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh interesting! I wonder if we can find a way to get rid of it without surgery. The vet seemed to think surgery was the only option to completely get rid of the issue. But Iā€™m looking into a second vet with good recommendations to get a second opinion if needed.

Second opinion is always worth it. Cheli's issue was under the chin, we could not see any thing in his mouth

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 115814

She also mentioned doing brachycephalic correction at the same time?? Why? Is there REALLY an issue?

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
She also mentioned doing brachycephalic correction at the same time?? Why? Is there REALLY an issue?

There isnā€™t really issues with his breathing. He snores but heā€™s a bulldog so thatā€™s normal, itā€™s not even loud. Iā€™ve actually never seen him pant. Even on a brisk walk he seems perfectly fine. But she said he could develop problems as he gets older and opening the nares and cutting the palate would help, keep him from developing problems.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
There isnā€™t really issues with his breathing. He snores but heā€™s a bulldog so thatā€™s normal, itā€™s not even loud. Iā€™ve actually never seen him pant. Even on a brisk walk he seems perfectly fine. But she said he could develop problems as he gets older and opening the nares and cutting the palate would help, keep him from developing problems.

Sorry but your vet is thinking of her wallet n not yours. Ifā€™s, could, probably, maybes, cause heā€™s a bulldog.......errrrr no. Not in my book. Iā€™m not saying ā€œmaybeā€ he might need it one day and on the other hand, maybe not. I know a lot of people with EB not one has went through any surgeries. Nights Duke n Nyala snores like hell. Donā€™t mean they need to have surgery.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I can understand the nares if they are tight, but palate should be evaluated first not just done...

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I can understand the nares if they are tight, but palate should be evaluated first not just done...

She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didnā€™t mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while heā€™s under. They canā€™t evaluate the palate until heā€™s under. She isnā€™t even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. Heā€™s apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see thereā€™s a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. Iā€™ve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so Iā€™m lost. While I did research...I also didnā€™t expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isnā€™t even a Bulldog ā€˜thingā€™. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares arenā€™t horrible but arenā€™t great so Iā€™ll probably do that. The palate weā€™ll see. Iā€™m not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until itā€™s clear itā€™s needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m also reading about both issues so Iā€™m not completely oblivious when I go in.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didnā€™t mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while heā€™s under. They canā€™t evaluate the palate until heā€™s under. She isnā€™t even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. Heā€™s apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see thereā€™s a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. Iā€™ve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so Iā€™m lost. While I did research...I also didnā€™t expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isnā€™t even a Bulldog ā€˜thingā€™. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares arenā€™t horrible but arenā€™t great so Iā€™ll probably do that. The palate weā€™ll see. Iā€™m not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until itā€™s clear itā€™s needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m also reading about both issues so Iā€™m not completely oblivious when I go in.

That is a great update... good planning.
As reference, Iā€™ve had four bulldogs in the past 15 years, two needed nares and palate, one needed only nares and one didnā€™t need either.

Our current boy, Lambeau got his nares done at 16 weeks and because of that he didnā€™t have palate issues. When nares are tight it causes the stress on palate

Keep us posted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
nares.jpg@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
View attachment 115847@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.

Thank you! How old were they when you did it?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you! How old were they when you did it?

They were about 1 yr.old.... Don't remember exactly. Their nares were not emergency-but needed doing had the palates checked while they were under,but that was fine.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Update!

So Brutus had his appointment yesterday which Iā€™m pretty upset about and am in the process to switch vets. I actually really liked my vet but then Brutus needs something and she canā€™t even do it...Iā€™m stuck dealing with people I donā€™t know or trust.

We get there and a young lady vet comes in, I know the surgeon is male so Iā€™m confused. She tells me heā€™s not available. Then insists on sedating him to get a sample from the cyst thing. After talking through everything theyā€™re using I finally agree. I also ask her to look at his palate so I know if thatā€™s something we need to do.

For 20 minutes Iā€™m basically having a panic attack and second guess myself for letting them sedate him. Thankfully he was fine. The vet said it was definitely a ranula (what my vet already confirmed through email/photos). She then tries to get me to send the sample off for testing (200$). I asked if thereā€™s anything to be concerned about and what else it could be...she said sheā€™s positive itā€™s saliva and a ranula and thereā€™s nothing else it could be. So Iā€™m like no...I donā€™t want to pay 200$ when we know what it is. I ask about the palate and she says ā€˜itā€™s a little long but not terrible, the surgeon can decideā€™. Then goes to get me a quote. I get the quote with the low estimate and high estimate 1500$ apart and all she says is ā€˜I did the best I can, youā€™ll have to talk to the surgeonā€™.

What the hell! I just spent 200$ for you to tell me I need to see someone else...when we already knew what it was and they already knew I needed to see the surgeon. I basically got no answers, no reliable quote...and my dog was sedated for no reason. So obviously Iā€™m going somewhere else. I already had to wait a week to get in and I couldnā€™t even see who was recommended and was basically told that the vet there couldnā€™t help me. Was a bit ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant...not even sure it all made sense. On the plus side it was drained so now he can at least chew his bully sticks :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.