Thread: Heeeelp

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heeeelp

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I can understand the nares if they are tight, but palate should be evaluated first not just done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didn’t mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while he’s under. They can’t evaluate the palate until he’s under. She isn’t even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. He’s apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see there’s a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. I’ve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so I’m lost. While I did research...I also didn’t expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isn’t even a Bulldog ‘thing’. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares aren’t horrible but aren’t great so I’ll probably do that. The palate we’ll see. I’m not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until it’s clear it’s needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...I’m not sure. I’m also reading about both issues so I’m not completely oblivious when I go in.

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlana View Post
    She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didnít mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while heís under. They canít evaluate the palate until heís under. She isnít even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. Heís apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see thereís a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. Iíve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so Iím lost. While I did research...I also didnít expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isnít even a Bulldog Ďthingí. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares arenít horrible but arenít great so Iíll probably do that. The palate weíll see. Iím not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until itís clear itís needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...Iím not sure. Iím also reading about both issues so Iím not completely oblivious when I go in.
    That is a great update... good planning.
    As reference, Iíve had four bulldogs in the past 15 years, two needed nares and palate, one needed only nares and one didnít need either.

Our current boy, Lambeau got his nares done at 16 weeks and because of that he didnít have palate issues. When nares are tight it causes the stress on palate

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Cbrugs, Marlana liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

-nares-jpg@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes 2BullyMama, Marlana liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    -nares-jpg@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.
    Thank you! How old were they when you did it?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! How old were they when you did it?
    They were about 1 yr.old.... Don't remember exactly. Their nares were not emergency-but needed doing had the palates checked while they were under,but that was fine.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

9. Likes 2BullyMama, Marlana, helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Update!

So Brutus had his appointment yesterday which I’m pretty upset about and am in the process to switch vets. I actually really liked my vet but then Brutus needs something and she can’t even do it...I’m stuck dealing with people I don’t know or trust.

We get there and a young lady vet comes in, I know the surgeon is male so I’m confused. She tells me he’s not available. Then insists on sedating him to get a sample from the cyst thing. After talking through everything they’re using I finally agree. I also ask her to look at his palate so I know if that’s something we need to do.

For 20 minutes I’m basically having a panic attack and second guess myself for letting them sedate him. Thankfully he was fine. The vet said it was definitely a ranula (what my vet already confirmed through email/photos). She then tries to get me to send the sample off for testing (200$). I asked if there’s anything to be concerned about and what else it could be...she said she’s positive it’s saliva and a ranula and there’s nothing else it could be. So I’m like no...I don’t want to pay 200$ when we know what it is. I ask about the palate and she says ‘it’s a little long but not terrible, the surgeon can decide’. Then goes to get me a quote. I get the quote with the low estimate and high estimate 1500$ apart and all she says is ‘I did the best I can, you’ll have to talk to the surgeon’.

What the hell! I just spent 200$ for you to tell me I need to see someone else...when we already knew what it was and they already knew I needed to see the surgeon. I basically got no answers, no reliable quote...and my dog was sedated for no reason. So obviously I’m going somewhere else. I already had to wait a week to get in and I couldn’t even see who was recommended and was basically told that the vet there couldn’t help me. Was a bit ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant...not even sure it all made sense. On the plus side it was drained so now he can at least chew his bully sticks

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I don’t care about the money either...I’d pay 200$ all day long if I got some answers. But to spend the money without getting an appointment for surgery set, not knowing if he needs his palate done, no accurate estimate, and being pushed to spend money on something that isn’t necessary. That really irritates me.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I donít care about the money either...Iíd pay 200$ all day long if I got some answers. But to spend the money without getting an appointment for surgery set, not knowing if he needs his palate done, no accurate estimate, and being pushed to spend money on something that isnít necessary. That really irritates me.
    Extremely hard to find a vet we trust. Itís like finding a good Doctor for us humans. Itís all about money. I know I would be speaking to the surgeon n owner. Definitely look for another vet. Go to local dog parks n ask dog owners. Best place to get honest answers. Ask questions n look for EB owners if you can. Just a thought...

When I hear or read updates like yours really gets to me. I do understand you truly have good vets out there but nowadays itís all about money. Like who cares what happens to your dog. Itís just a number. Why we need to do our own homework n get out there n get info on which vet we want. Local dog parks is one place. Thatís how I find mine. I have a vet that I use only for surgery and a holistic vet. When Nyala got fixed she also had her cherry eye tucked. He did a great job on Dukeís vasectomy as not all vets does that. He thinks out of the box. My holistic vet think a lot like me. A lot of meds for pets isnít necessary if you know how to use essential oils the right way. Yes of course certain meds you have no choice to give n thatís fine. Iím a big believer if you can feed your dog raw from puppy stage, fresh veggies n fruits, etc, you wonít be seeing n need a vet as often. All this to say, start shopping for the right vet.

15. Likes Marlana liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Extremely hard to find a vet we trust. It’s like finding a good Doctor for us humans. It’s all about money. I know I would be speaking to the surgeon n owner. Definitely look for another vet. Go to local dog parks n ask dog owners. Best place to get honest answers. Ask questions n look for EB owners if you can. Just a thought...

When I hear or read updates like yours really gets to me. I do understand you truly have good vets out there but nowadays it’s all about money. Like who cares what happens to your dog. It’s just a number. Why we need to do our own homework n get out there n get info on which vet we want. Local dog parks is one place. That’s how I find mine. I have a vet that I use only for surgery and a holistic vet. When Nyala got fixed she also had her cherry eye tucked. He did a great job on Duke’s vasectomy as not all vets does that. He thinks out of the box. My holistic vet think a lot like me. A lot of meds for pets isn’t necessary if you know how to use essential oils the right way. Yes of course certain meds you have no choice to give n that’s fine. I’m a big believer if you can feed your dog raw from puppy stage, fresh veggies n fruits, etc, you won’t be seeing n need a vet as often. All this to say, start shopping for the right vet.
    I did find a vet that was recommended here on this forum so thinking ahead I made an appointment. But I don’t want to go to an appointment for nothing again. I’m going to see if the vet will speak to me on the phone. I basically want to do an interview before I even spend money with you! I know what his issue is, I’ve had tests done...now I just need an honest vet. I left a message and email. I also left a message at the vet I had taken my cat to for a abscess when my normal vet couldn’t get him in. They got him right in, they didn’t bullshit with any extra things, it was affordable.

I just find it irritating that I have to shop around at all! My puppy is 4 months old...we haven’t had time to go to different vets. And now he needs something now. And I get the run around from my vet office. Then have to try to find someone that will take him short notice. Ugh...just irritating. I was so pissed on Friday. It was such a pointless appointment. I’m not doing that again. So I hope other vets will let me screen them on the phone before any appointments.

Brutus is so special to me and I don’t want to pick the wrong vet. Just wish it was easier to weed them out before wasting weeks and hundreds of dollars

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

@Marlana I sure understand your frustration. Not easy for sure. Weeding them out still can be an issue via phone talk. But I don’t see why you couldn’t talk to him on the phone as you’re a client. Don’t sedate Brutus anymore as all that didn’t make any sense. Follow your gut. You’re the owner, no is no.

19. Likes 2BullyMama, Marlana, MFrey2012 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I donít care about the money either...Iíd pay 200$ all day long if I got some answers. But to spend the money without getting an appointment for surgery set, not knowing if he needs his palate done, no accurate estimate, and being pushed to spend money on something that isnít necessary. That really irritates me.
    Totally agree with you.... where are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Totally agree with you.... where are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m in Washington state, about an hour from Seattle.

22. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads