Thread: Heeeelp

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heeeelp

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I can understand the nares if they are tight, but palate should be evaluated first not just done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didn’t mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while he’s under. They can’t evaluate the palate until he’s under. She isn’t even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. He’s apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see there’s a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. I’ve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so I’m lost. While I did research...I also didn’t expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isn’t even a Bulldog ‘thing’. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares aren’t horrible but aren’t great so I’ll probably do that. The palate we’ll see. I’m not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until it’s clear it’s needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...I’m not sure. I’m also reading about both issues so I’m not completely oblivious when I go in.

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlana View Post
    She actually called to check on him today and we talked about it. She said she didnít mean to just do it, she meant if it needs to be done then it can be while heís under. They canít evaluate the palate until heís under. She isnít even the one doing the surgery, she said her partner is more experienced with bulldogs and this type of surgery. Heís apparently done a bunch. But I am getting a second opinion. I just made an appointment today with a vet that recommended on this site. I was excited to see thereís a vet close to me on the vet recommendation page!

I really appreciate everyone giving their thoughts and opinions on this. Iíve been a Bulldog owner for 2 months now, so Iím lost. While I did research...I also didnít expect to be making these decisions at 4 months old. Go figure he gets something that isnít even a Bulldog Ďthingí. But now I also have to figure out if I should address nares and palate. His nares arenít horrible but arenít great so Iíll probably do that. The palate weíll see. Iím not convinced it should be done this early...might need to be done again. Cost also is a factor. Of course we will get the salivary gland surgery, but we may wait on the breathing surgeries until itís clear itís needed. Honestly until I can talk to the actual surgeon and then get a second opinion...Iím not sure. Iím also reading about both issues so Iím not completely oblivious when I go in.
    That is a great update... good planning.
    As reference, Iíve had four bulldogs in the past 15 years, two needed nares and palate, one needed only nares and one didnít need either.

Our current boy, Lambeau got his nares done at 16 weeks and because of that he didnít have palate issues. When nares are tight it causes the stress on palate

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Cbrugs, Marlana liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

-nares-jpg@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes 2BullyMama, Marlana liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    -nares-jpg@Marlana Here is a photo of the difference in their nares. As you can see, they are more open in the second photo-easier to breathe. I had two dogs done, and told the vet to check palates while under. They did not need palates done.
    Thank you! How old were they when you did it?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlana View Post
    Thank you! How old were they when you did it?
    They were about 1 yr.old.... Don't remember exactly. Their nares were not emergency-but needed doing had the palates checked while they were under,but that was fine.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

9. Likes 2BullyMama, Marlana, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads