1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Wrapped.jpg

Not much change for Monty with his 'Sundowners'. I am giving him the Senilfe (5 days now) but haven't noticed any difference so far but it is still early. The other calming chews did nothing at all. I take him to the dog park and that hasn't had much effect. I have now started wrapping him when he starts getting upset and there is an immediate effect but it varies as to how long that lasts. At the moment all is quiet and he is relaxed, YAY!!! I have ordered a Thundershirt for him and we are waiting for it to arrive. We have a Vet appointment with his bully vet on Wednesday and will have a senior dog check done. I want to make sure there is nothing medical going on. It makes us very sad to see him like this and I am sure he is not happy either. Fingers crossed the vet has some suggestions.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Try adding them essential oils or just lavender n peppermint to your diffuser if you’re worried. You can also mix it with CO n rub it on his head. Will penetrate slowly to the brain to calm him. I sure would do it to Nyala or Duke.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]. Just lavender n frankincense on the scalp .....just dawned on me da cat... :yes:

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]. Just lavender n frankincense on the scalp .....just dawned on me da cat... :yes:

Thanks!!! Just a drop or two mixed with coconut oil? He is sleeping at the moment, no wrap. All is well for now. :up:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks!!! Just a drop or two mixed with coconut oil? He is sleeping at the moment, no wrap. All is well for now. :up:

Like 1/4 teaspoon of CO n yes 2 -3 of each. Let him snooze lol. :yes:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Try adding them essential oils or just lavender n peppermint to your diffuser if you’re worried. You can also mix it with CO n rub it on his head. Will penetrate slowly to the brain to calm him. I sure would do it to Nyala or Duke.

I put lavender in my new diffuser, and Wally was snoring before I got in bed... LMAO!!!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 115794

Not much change for Monty with his 'Sundowners'. I am giving him the Senilfe (5 days now) but haven't noticed any difference so far but it is still early. The other calming chews did nothing at all. I take him to the dog park and that hasn't had much effect. I have now started wrapping him when he starts getting upset and there is an immediate effect but it varies as to how long that lasts. At the moment all is quiet and he is relaxed, YAY!!! I have ordered a Thundershirt for him and we are waiting for it to arrive. We have a Vet appointment with his bully vet on Wednesday and will have a senior dog check done. I want to make sure there is nothing medical going on. It makes us very sad to see him like this and I am sure he is not happy either. Fingers crossed the vet has some suggestions.

A LOT of people swear by the Thundershirt, so I hope that it works for you!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
fingers and paws crossed you find a solutions and he is good and healthy

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
CBD oil might help calm him. But it is a good idea to rule out any medical issues so keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Please let us know what's going on with your big ole slug...he's so dang cute! I hate to hear that he's struggling.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am praying that you find that "sweet spot" for something that helps. I'm really sorry that you're all going through this BUT He has the most loving Mom and Dad, I just KNOW that you will land on that something that gives him (and your) peace. Hope the "wrap works" please keep us posted. BIG BULLY hugs from Joey and I :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He's so cute in that photo. I've heard about thunder shirts and weighted blankets; does the wrap have the same function? Is it bandage or some other material? Hope beautiful Monty soon feels better.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
He's so cute in that photo. I've heard about thunder shirts and weighted blankets; does the wrap have the same function? Is it bandage or some other material? Hope beautiful Monty soon feels better.

Yes, same function, It is a temporary measure until I get the Thundershirt. I used a wide stretch bandage that I had, it is snug but not tight. I looked online and people have used scarves too. He doesn't mind it at all and it stops the behaviour immediately. He will just lay down for a while and relax.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, same function, It is a temporary measure until I get the Thundershirt. I used a wide stretch bandage that I had, it is snug but not tight. I looked online and people have used scarves too. He doesn't mind it at all and it stops the behaviour immediately. He will just lay down for a while and relax.

Amazing and great!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We got Monty's blood and urine test results this morning and the vet said they could not be better! We are so glad to hear that. He gave me quite a bit of literature about behavioural changes, for pets and us, as in how we handle it. I have a lot of homework to do! He said we could give him Benedryl or Melatonin to calm him, also there are anti-anxiety drugs if we think it necessary down the road. I asked about putting him in the utility room when he won't stop barking and he asked if he stops when we do that. He does. He said then that is his safe place and he feels secure there. Just to reiterate, Monty is not closed off in there. It has a kiddies gate and we have a clear line of sight of him and him, us.
I now have a floor chair (don't know how else to describe it!) and I can sit closer to the floor much more comfortably for me and he can snuggle. We should get the Thundershirt tomorrow and I am hoping that will be better than the wrap.
Last night he didn't start until about 6 pm so maybe the time change is helping too!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Awesome update on his lab work! I will be excited to hear how he progresses with the thundershirt AND daylight savings time :)

Way to go sticking with your research, vet visits, and total LOVE for your boy!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.