Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that things seem to be going better for you and Monty. Hope he does well with his Thundershirt.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great news! Stay away from anxiety drugs n stick to Melatonin, the Thundershirt n the CO n Lavender head massage :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update!! So happy he is healthy... adjustment period for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Happy to hear lab results were good! Best wishes to Monty and you!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
UPDATE.
Monty is doing quite well. I give him 3 mg Melatonin with his evening meal and it is helping a lot. He still starts to get wound up about 4 pm but that could also be some impatience for his dinner! We have the Thundershirt which he loves! He comes over immediately when he sees it. I bought the XL size and it is a bit big for him so then got the L and it is a very tight fit so will return it. The results are varied. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. If he starts with the barking and the Thundershirt isn't working, we put him in the utility room for about an hour and he settles down straight away. We haven't had the panting anymore and he doesn't appear so anxious like before.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], I used the lavender oil/C Oil a couple of times, and boy, did he sleep well! I am keeping that in reserve for when really needed. Thank you.

All in all, we feel much happier for him now. It was very distressing to see him so anxious. He has slowed down somewhat in the last few months (not that he was ever energetic!) and he isn't 9 yet. The vet says he is healthy though and we will keep doing our best to help his 'dementia'.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Was wondering how he was doing. I am glad that he is doing some better. Getting old is no picnic, I do know how Monty feels, and I also know he has good parents to comfort him. I hope he continues doing better, Sending lots of hugs for that lil' fella!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
UPDATE.
Monty is doing quite well. I give him 3 mg Melatonin with his evening meal and it is helping a lot. He still starts to get wound up about 4 pm but that could also be some impatience for his dinner! We have the Thundershirt which he loves! He comes over immediately when he sees it. I bought the XL size and it is a bit big for him so then got the L and it is a very tight fit so will return it. The results are varied. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. If he starts with the barking and the Thundershirt isn't working, we put him in the utility room for about an hour and he settles down straight away. We haven't had the panting anymore and he doesn't appear so anxious like before.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], I used the lavender oil/C Oil a couple of times, and boy, did he sleep well! I am keeping that in reserve for when really needed. Thank you.

All in all, we feel much happier for him now. It was very distressing to see him so anxious. He has slowed down somewhat in the last few months (not that he was ever energetic!) and he isn't 9 yet. The vet says he is healthy though and we will keep doing our best to help his 'dementia'.

Oh I am so happy to read this update!! What awesome parents Monty has!! Maybe even as we move further into daylight savings time you will see more peaceful times. I will look forward to the next, AWESOME update!! Hugs to Monty!!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Thundershirt.jpg

Monty in his snazzy Thundershirt!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
May be you also try CBD oil? People say it is good anti anxiety medicine.
You know I also thought about - what if he needs more food? Recently Tank became very agitated before dinner time, wanted to play, barked like crazy, when I was giving him his bowl he was shaking like he was cold and looked really miserable, so my husband says what if he needs more food, and we increased his food allowance and he seems much better. Monty is a slim bulldog, may be you should think about it? You just said he is agitated right before dinner...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know I also thought about - what if he needs more food? Recently Tank became very agitated before dinner time, wanted to play, barked like crazy, when I was giving him his bowl he was shaking like he was cold and looked really miserable, so my husband says what if he needs more food, and we increased his food allowance and he seems much better. Monty is a slim bulldog, may be you should think about it? You just said he is agitated right before dinner...

I did that with Duke as heā€™s a lot like Tank. Fit and speedy Gonzalez dogs. But Duke is a bottomless pit when it comes to food. Heā€™s like a human vacuum. For Duke it didnā€™t change him but pooped more lol... so Iā€™ll keep him on the slimmer side n he can keep his energetic style.

[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] isnā€™t too chunky and if you do decide to up the food, watch the calories as heā€™s an older dog. Up with high fiber veggies n fruits. Just a thought :)

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

Er, no. Monty is a chunky 65 - 67 lbs. If I am not careful, his weight skyrockets! Sorry, but I had to smile when you said he is slim, in his dreams! :D It must be the angle of the picture, plus that picture was of the smaller of the two TShirts, the large and so snug, we could barely do it up. I am sending that one back and keeping the XL. Thank you for your thoughts though. I do appreciate it.

He is a clock watcher and he likes his routine. He knows when food time is coming up and this time change has messed up his schedule in the afternoons, mornings are just fine Yesterday, he got agitated early afternoon, but my sister had come over and he got excited and didn't settle for a while after she left. I had tried CBD Oil about two months ago and saw no change but maybe I got one of the useless ones (at $70 a bottle!). We are giving him 3 mg melatonin and we can up that a little with his weight, if and when needed. So far, we are pleased with how it is going. We have a blip every now and then but we can handle it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.