1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Well, I took Monty to the Vet today and he is fine, healthwise. We discussed his recent behavioural changes. He thinks it very well could be the beginnings of Sundowners Syndrome as Monty's symptoms are not really that bad. He doesn't puff and pant, he doesn't pace and he does sleep during the night. The neediness for several hours in the late afternoon/evening is a sign though. He said we could put him on Prozac which I decided against for right now. I am going to give him Melatonin while I research other options. Senilife is one product I am looking at. I will keep you posted.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, I took Monty to the Vet today and he is fine, healthwise. We discussed his recent behavioural changes. He thinks it very well could be the beginnings of Sundowners Syndrome as Monty's symptoms are not really that bad. He doesn't puff and pant, he doesn't pace and he does sleep during the night. The neediness for several hours in the late afternoon/evening is a sign though. He said we could put him on Prozac which I decided against for right now. I am going to give him Melatonin while I research other options. Senilife is one product I am looking at. I will keep you posted.

So, did some research. You can use essential oils that calms and for anxiety. Stay away from Prozac. Absolutely NO need for that. In a diffuser use:

Rosemary, chamomile, lavender frankincense, bergamot and ginger. NOTE, for humans you would add lemon n ylang ylang BUT citrus n YY is NOT good for dogs. So if you read somewhere or someone tells you to add citrus or ylang ylang, DONT! Put these EO in a diffuser where he usually hangs around in that specific room n sleeps. You can also spray his bed area with your mix. A couple drops of lavender on the collar will help too. :)

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
So, did some research. You can use essential oils that calms and for anxiety. Stay away from Prozac. Absolutely NO need for that. In a diffuser use:

Rosemary, chamomile, lavender frankincense, bergamot and ginger. NOTE, for humans you would add lemon n ylang ylang BUT citrus n YY is NOT good for dogs. So if you read somewhere or someone tells you to add citrus or ylang ylang, DONT! Put these EO in a diffuser where he usually hangs around in that specific room n sleeps. You can also spray his bed area with your mix. A couple drops of lavender on the collar will help too. :)

Have heard that some essential oils and cats don't mix. Our cat sleeps in the bedroom at night too so I want to make sure he will be OK.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Have heard that some essential oils and cats don't mix. Our cat sleeps in the bedroom at night too so I want to make sure he will be OK.

Geez forgot your cat!!! So Sorry. :whew: thank god youā€™re on the ball.

Hereā€™s a great site for pets. Some will say lavender isnā€™t good for a cat and some will say the opposite. My sonā€™s gf uses in her diffuser lavender n their cat Todd has no issues.

Essential Oils Potentially Toxic to Cats
Wintergreen oil.
Peppermint oil.
Citrus oil (including lemon oil)
Tea tree oil (melaleuca oil)
Pine oil.
Eucalyptus oil.
Cinnamon oil.
Pennyroyal oil.

https://www.gurunanda.com/blogs/essential-oils/best-worst-essential-oils-for-pets

https://www.youroiltools.com/blogs/news/essential-oils-for-cats

Oh and....Remove the bergamot

The problem with EO on cats itā€™s mostly if digested or rubbing it on them. Often diffuser wonā€™t have the same reaction on them. Touchy subject n decision.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Iā€™m so thankful that itā€™s nothing causing him pain. Please post how he does on the melatonin, this could be great information going forward. Did you find the routine suggestions? If not I can send to you.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m so thankful that itā€™s nothing causing him pain. Please post how he does on the melatonin, this could be great information going forward. Did you find the routine suggestions? If not I can send to you.

Yes, thank you. Strangly, there was not a peep out of Monty last night. I didn't give him anything. I think the trip and excitement of going to the vet wore him out! We have a small dog park in our subdivision (residents only) and as Monty will not walk, we are going to drive him and let him have a wander around. Hopefully, he will move his lazy bones!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, thank you. Strangly, there was not a peep out of Monty last night. I didn't give him anything. I think the trip and excitement of going to the vet wore him out! We have a small dog park in our subdivision (residents only) and as Monty will not walk, we are going to drive him and let him have a wander around. Hopefully, he will move his lazy bones!

Oh I hope so.....I bet a change in routine and maybe daylight savings time this weekend (for your too?) will really help, I pray....

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
You guys are funny! Just now seeing all this....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Burning energy out of a dog sure will snooze better n you too lol

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We just got back from the park where Monty was in lust with our neighbours' female Greyhound! He had a great time and is now snoring. Our poor Dachshund ran his little legs off trying to keep up with the Greyhound, he gave it a valiant effort. I think they will both sleep well tonight but we are going out so Monty would be sleeping normally anyway.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just got back from the park where Monty was in lust with our neighbours' female Greyhound! He had a great time and is now snoring. Our poor Dachshund ran his little legs off trying to keep up with the Greyhound, he gave it a valiant effort. I think they will both sleep well tonight but we are going out so Monty would be sleeping normally anyway.

Hope this works for you all! Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Keep burning that energy. Borrow other dogs if it works loll

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Howā€™s it going?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Howā€™s it going?

Early days I think. He was needy again last night so we gave him melatonin and he settled down on his bed in the utility room. We gave him his second dose of Senilife this morning but we have to go out tonight so he will again be alseep in the utility room. I am really pleased now that we got a camera for in there a couple of years ago so we can see what's going on when we are gone. The next few nights we will be home so that will be the test to see if these pills are helping. By all accounts, if they do, they work quite quickly. We did notice he appeared to be in a bit of a fog when we took him out to pee this morning. He was a bit better later. He is such a sweet boy.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Early days I think. He was needy again last night so we gave him melatonin and he settled down on his bed in the utility room. We gave him his second dose of Senilife this morning but we have to go out tonight so he will again be alseep in the utility room. I am really pleased now that we got a camera for in there a couple of years ago so we can see what's going on when we are gone. The next few nights we will be home so that will be the test to see if these pills are helping. By all accounts, if they do, they work quite quickly. We did notice he appeared to be in a bit of a fog when we took him out to pee this morning. He was a bit better later. He is such a sweet boy.

Praying for continued positive updates! Sending big, bully hugs to Monty and his humans!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.