Soft palate surgery

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Hi. We gave Sarge baby food after his soft palate surgery bc it was easy to eat and easy on his stomach. He loves fruit so I bought applesauce and veggies mixed with beef and lamb. Whenever he is sick now the baby food is my go to bc it is pretty bland. Hope your baby feels better soon and hopefully he is already breathing better! :)

OP
P

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Hi Chesty's mom!!! The vet that operated him, only stays with them 24 hours unless something goes wrong..... I got him yesterday and he seems to be in pain and hungry :( I feel so frustrated that I cannot help him... the vet said only pediasure and pepcid for now... lets see what happens.
thanks for the information... how long did it take Chesty to recuperate?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A little bump on this thread now that's been moved to the Health forum in case anyone missed it earlier.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never had this done, but someone posted on our facebook wall to answer this. Here is what they wrote:

Spike had his palate done and you have to make sure the food is very mushy, give small amounts. Being sleepy is normal for the first 24 hours. By the next day he was pretty much back to normal, but you have to keep them from getting too excited. Their throats are swollen so any excitement will make it hard to breathe.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Hi Chesty's mom!!! The vet that operated him, only stays with them 24 hours unless something goes wrong..... I got him yesterday and he seems to be in pain and hungry :( I feel so frustrated that I cannot help him... the vet said only pediasure and pepcid for now... lets see what happens.
thanks for the information... how long did it take Chesty to recuperate?

It was a couple of weeks before he was eatting his reg dry dog food....at that time we only had him and no other fur kids....nor any skin kids so it was real easy to keep him quit. Hope your baby is feeling better by now.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=2181]patricia[/MENTION] how is Kairos today? any better??

OP
P

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Hello Everyone!!! Thank you all for being so helpful !!!
Kairos is doing a lot better... he threw up mpre than 10 times yesterday! The vet said that the precentive meda, plus pain killer plus cortizone were the culprits. He is completly off his meds :-( so I feel bad that he is probably in pain.
But he is a lot more normal, no longer drowsy and is eating baby food - thanks so sargeon griffons suggestion ;-) he is also drinking pedia sure.
The vet wants him to eat soft food for a whole month and if doesnt throw up today he will start his pain killer by tomorrow and pepcid every 24 hours. We are giving him much tender loving care and treating him like a KING!! He is our baby cant wait for him to be completely healed! But the breathing/snoring is so much better and hes new nostrils look HUGE and funny ;-) thanka to all!!
I am so greatful I found this site and such nice people with so many cuties (bullys) ;-)

OP
P

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Hello Everyone!!
Kairos is doing so well!!! He is off his antibiotics and is only taking his pain killer and is only eating canned food - I'm sure he is enjoying that! He is now back to his normal, playful, nap taking :up: - self!! He got both his palate and his nostrils done and his breathing is ssssoooooooo much better! He used to have a very loud breathing all the time and if he was excited louder and the snoring was even louder. He can also now breath through his nose which he had never done before. The surgery was very expensive, we live and Puerto Rico and due to the high risks involved with the anesthesia we went to the best dog surgeon in PR who has done may bullies... it was $1,700!!!! but it was definitely worth it!!! I would recommend it! Thanks to all for the support! :hug2: :heart:

L

Lucy-licious

You already know this but I am soo glad Kairos is doing well...you'll have to post us a picture of him with his new custom made nostrils.

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
Hi everyone, my bulldog passed away August 2nd, 2011 from doing one of these surgeries.
I will make a thread after I speak to the Admin for advice.
I am in shock right now, and after I get comfortable I'll open up the whole bad experience.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online