Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft palate surgery

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member mom2bullies's Avatar
    Real Name
    Myrna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Soft palate surgery

Our Chesty had soft palate surgery and his nose drilled out some a few years back. Our vet would not let him come home tell he was sure he was healed, about 4 or 5 days.... I remember going to "visit" him at the vet. and thinking he loved them more then me as he was king of the roost. They let him run loose in the back with the vets and the techs. So we never saw any problems when he came home he was already on soft food and water. I hope your baby is feeling better soon... Welcome to the site and can't wait for pictures.
    mom2bullies

"For it is not into my ear you whisper, but into my heart.
    It is not my lips you kiss, But my soul"

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

[IMG]/Users/patruka/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2011/04/09/20110409-122659/IMG_0079.jpg[/IMG]

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

Helllo!!! Thanks to allllll
    I posted an album with his pics... dont know how to post them here :bust: so you can see the album at my profile

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
    Likes (Received)

Hi. We gave Sarge baby food after his soft palate surgery bc it was easy to eat and easy on his stomach. He loves fruit so I bought applesauce and veggies mixed with beef and lamb. Whenever he is sick now the baby food is my go to bc it is pretty bland. Hope your baby feels better soon and hopefully he is already breathing better!
    I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

"Mom" to:
    Brussels Griffon/Maltese Mix - Griffon "Giffy" (Aug 2007)
    English Bulldog - Sergeant Mako "Sarge" (Aug 2008)
    Cats - "Big Kitty" and "Little Kitty"

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chesty's mom!!! The vet that operated him, only stays with them 24 hours unless something goes wrong..... I got him yesterday and he seems to be in pain and hungry I feel so frustrated that I cannot help him... the vet said only pediasure and pepcid for now... lets see what happens.
    thanks for the information... how long did it take Chesty to recuperate?

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

sargean griffo, what a gret idea!!! I will try that!!!! THANKS!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

A little bump on this thread now that's been moved to the Health forum in case anyone missed it earlier.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have never had this done, but someone posted on our facebook wall to answer this. Here is what they wrote:

Spike had his palate done and you have to make sure the food is very mushy, give small amounts. Being sleepy is normal for the first 24 hours. By the next day he was pretty much back to normal, but you have to keep them from getting too excited. Their throats are swollen so any excitement will make it hard to breathe.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member mom2bullies's Avatar
    Real Name
    Myrna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patricia View Post
    Hi Chesty's mom!!! The vet that operated him, only stays with them 24 hours unless something goes wrong..... I got him yesterday and he seems to be in pain and hungry I feel so frustrated that I cannot help him... the vet said only pediasure and pepcid for now... lets see what happens.
    thanks for the information... how long did it take Chesty to recuperate?
    It was a couple of weeks before he was eatting his reg dry dog food....at that time we only had him and no other fur kids....nor any skin kids so it was real easy to keep him quit. Hope your baby is feeling better by now.
    mom2bullies

"For it is not into my ear you whisper, but into my heart.
    It is not my lips you kiss, But my soul"

Lucy-licious

@patricia how is Kairos today? any better??

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

Hello Everyone!!! Thank you all for being so helpful !!!
    Kairos is doing a lot better... he threw up mpre than 10 times yesterday! The vet said that the precentive meda, plus pain killer plus cortizone were the culprits. He is completly off his meds :-( so I feel bad that he is probably in pain.
    But he is a lot more normal, no longer drowsy and is eating baby food - thanks so sargeon griffons suggestion ;-) he is also drinking pedia sure.
    The vet wants him to eat soft food for a whole month and if doesnt throw up today he will start his pain killer by tomorrow and pepcid every 24 hours. We are giving him much tender loving care and treating him like a KING!! He is our baby cant wait for him to be completely healed! But the breathing/snoring is so much better and hes new nostrils look HUGE and funny ;-) thanka to all!!
    I am so greatful I found this site and such nice people with so many cuties (bullys) ;-)

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kairos
    Likes (Received)

Hello Everyone!!
    Kairos is doing so well!!! He is off his antibiotics and is only taking his pain killer and is only eating canned food - I'm sure he is enjoying that! He is now back to his normal, playful, nap taking - self!! He got both his palate and his nostrils done and his breathing is ssssoooooooo much better! He used to have a very loud breathing all the time and if he was excited louder and the snoring was even louder. He can also now breath through his nose which he had never done before. The surgery was very expensive, we live and Puerto Rico and due to the high risks involved with the anesthesia we went to the best dog surgeon in PR who has done may bullies... it was $1,700!!!! but it was definitely worth it!!! I would recommend it! Thanks to all for the support!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads