OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
I've tried switching him to a fish based food, but he will not touch it. I give him a cup and a half in the morning and another at night. Sometimes he won't touch his food for a day or two though.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm going to start this tonight in hopes that I see some improvement in a week or so! Thank you for sharing this with me. I would love see him better and back to himself again.

Yes like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, keep us posted. Also sheā€™s definitely right about getting him on a grain free diet. Every bit helps. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've tried switching him to a fish based food, but he will not touch it. I give him a cup and a half in the morning and another at night. Sometimes he won't touch his food for a day or two though.

Lessen to 1 cup per meal... add frozen green beans if you need a filler

He probably isnā€™t eating cause he doesnā€™t feel well from the tail issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Please definitely try the oils before anything else. Helene is great with this information.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no advice on this... my Willow has a tail pocket, but I use baby wipes to keep it clean. I hope that you can get this issue resolved soon!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would definitely change proteins as well as the essentials oils. Try grain free Duck as he doesn't like fish. I feed Zignature as it is supposed to be better for allergies but there are other good foods out there. Monty had terrible tail pocket problems and then had a deep infection that took months and months to clear up. He had already had a partial amputation and 'cosmetic' pocket surgery and that helped tremendously but then this deep infection took hold and it took forever to get it figured out. Once we did, we have had no problems since.

OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
We have been trying the oils for almost two weeks and have seen little results. This tail infection is the worst. I've also tried changing his food, but he won't touch anything except the food I've always fed him. And honestly, he doesn't have much of an appetite. I'm guessing because he's so miserable from the infection. We've decided to talk to our vet about tail amputation (even though he's already told us Bugsy is too old for the surgery) and if that's not possible, we will put him down. He's had a great life and we can't watch him suffer any longer. This is something we've been battling for over a year now, and it just keeps on coming back worse and worse.

Thank you all for the support and checking in with Bugsy.

IMG_0130.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
We have been trying the oils for almost two weeks and have seen little results. This tail infection is the worst. I've also tried changing his food, but he won't touch anything except the food I've always fed him. And honestly, he doesn't have much of an appetite. I'm guessing because he's so miserable from the infection. We've decided to talk to our vet about tail amputation (even though he's already told us Bugsy is too old for the surgery) and if that's not possible, we will put him down. He's had a great life and we can't watch him suffer any longer. This is something we've been battling for over a year now, and it just keeps on coming back worse and worse.

View attachment 115804

Instead of putting him down, can you surrender him to a rescue? My local rescue has a final refuge program for seniors and dogs with end-stage life issues where they want the dogs to be kept comfortable and their care stable and the dogs live out their years in the homes of their dedicated volunteers. At 9 1/2 years old, Bugsy can still have a few more years left.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 115804

It might take a month to see any impact by the oils... no appetite is probably due to be uncomfortable or in pain.

Please keep us posted on the surgery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
What about docking his tail? I have thought about that at times with Punk and her tail.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

View attachment 115804

When youā€™re in the tail, do you feel youā€™re deep enough like youā€™re touching back end wall? I recall after 2weeks I wasnā€™t going deep enough till my vet showed me in her office cause there was still blood. I was lucky afterwards it took a week or so but like Christine mention can take a good month. But please donā€™t put Bugsy down. Surrender Bugsy instead. For you to say ā€œHe's had a great lifeā€ means youā€™ve made up your mind. Sorry if it sounds harsh but not for a tail pocket issue. An infection can be cure. He wants to go back to his food so be it but add ginger, turmeric to his meals. Will reduce inflammation. Add fermented sauerkraut n no dairy for time being. Just top his meals with raw veggies n berries. This will help his immune system. But please surrender him n donā€™t end his life for a tail pocket.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N

View attachment 115804

Best Wishes and Prayers if you do the surgery. :angelheart::angelheart: We each have our own situations to deal with and we are here to offer support on whatever decision you make. :assurred:

Members online

No members online now.