brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Hello,

We have a 9 and half year old English Bulldog named Bugsy. He's been a part of our family since he was 8 weeks old and he's the most gentle and sweet dog we've ever had. Unfortunately, for the last two years we have been dealing with a major tail pocket infection. His tail pocket is at least 4 inches deep, our vet can't really tell how deep it is. As he has aged, the infection seems to get worse and more difficult to tackle. We have had him on antibiotics numerous times, we take him to the vet twice a month to get it cleaned, we've exhausted everything we could think of to get it better. The smell is horrible and it oozes with stuff that gets all over our furniture and rugs. I know it bothers him all the time as he scoots a lot and sometimes can barely walk a few feet without having to sit down. Other than the infection, he seems to be healthy. He's a really big bulldog, 15-20 lbs over weight. Our vet told us if he wasn't almost 10 years old, he would surgical remove the tail. We have an 18 month old daughter now, and she loves him. However, the infection is becoming an issue at home with the smell. We are thinking about putting him to sleep. I'm just having a hard time deciding. I know he is miserable and we just don't know what else to do. I just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with a severe tail pocket infection like this. Thanks for any help you could give us!

Attachments

• IMG_6213.JPG
    IMG_6213.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 882

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to Bugsy! Sorry that I cannot offer any advice on this but we send big hugs to beautiful Bugsy!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk is almost 10 and she has a tail pocket as well, not as deep though. She is all the time expressing her glands on my shoes and anything that doesn't move, which will make her tail and pocket really sore. I clean her twice a day with baby wipes and put polysporin on a cotton ball and wipe around the area. This weekend though her tail was severely swollen and hurting. I found some lavender oil and put it on a cotton ball and wiped as well as she would let me - getting into the crevices and all. This morning it was alot better. Do you have a squirt bottle that you can squirt water or peroxide in the pocket? Helsonwheels is really good with using oils - hopefully she will read this and get with you.

OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Our vet has given us syringes to use to get down in the tail pocket and clean. He's told us to use hydrogen peroxide and he's given us a surgical cleaner to try as well. We haven't had any luck with either of those. We've also used witch hazel and Neosporin. I can try the baby wipes and see if that makes a difference. It stays swollen and I know it's hurting him. Our vet gives him a steroid shot every month hoping that will help with the inflammation but the last few months it hasn't worked either. It's just a mess and we just don't know what to do next. Thank you for your reply!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,

We have a 9 and half year old English Bulldog named Bugsy. He's been a part of our family since he was 8 weeks old and he's the most gentle and sweet dog we've ever had. Unfortunately, for the last two years we have been dealing with a major tail pocket infection. His tail pocket is at least 4 inches deep, our vet can't really tell how deep it is. As he has aged, the infection seems to get worse and more difficult to tackle. We have had him on antibiotics numerous times, we take him to the vet twice a month to get it cleaned, we've exhausted everything we could think of to get it better. The smell is horrible and it oozes with stuff that gets all over our furniture and rugs. I know it bothers him all the time as he scoots a lot and sometimes can barely walk a few feet without having to sit down. Other than the infection, he seems to be healthy. He's a really big bulldog, 15-20 lbs over weight. Our vet told us if he wasn't almost 10 years old, he would surgical remove the tail. We have an 18 month old daughter now, and she loves him. However, the infection is becoming an issue at home with the smell. We are thinking about putting him to sleep. I'm just having a hard time deciding. I know he is miserable and we just don't know what else to do. I just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with a severe tail pocket infection like this. Thanks for any help you could give us!
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Any insight?

I had this issue with my boy Lambeau .. we removed his tail when he was a pup, maybe 12-16 months old, can’t remember age.

It seems you need if your current isn’t, a experienced bulldog vet to remove the tail... all you listed is evidence can think of to help.

He is a damn handsome boy and would hate to see this not be fixable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Our vet has given us syringes to use to get down in the tail pocket and clean. He's told us to use hydrogen peroxide and he's given us a surgical cleaner to try as well. We haven't had any luck with either of those. We've also used witch hazel and Neosporin. I can try the baby wipes and see if that makes a difference. It stays swollen and I know it's hurting him. Our vet gives him a steroid shot every month hoping that will help with the inflammation but the last few months it hasn't worked either. It's just a mess and we just don't know what to do next. Thank you for your reply!

Someone tagged me so I can read your post as most knows I’ve went through the exact issue with Nyala. Still am but fantastic progress. Nyala also is a good 4” depth tail n don’t lift must. Extremely hard to get in there. It’s been over 2 yrs I now clean her tail pocket every 2 weeks from every 2 days. This essential oil mix works!!! Great for ears infection (yeast). Nyala’s only option was a tail amputation and I refused and work on her myself. But down the road, no tail amputation and my vet wanted the recipe for other dogs. Do this and you’ll see it works. But you do need to be on it daily for time being. Took Nyala a goo 2 years to get it done every 3weeks. Antibiotics will simply kill your dog’s immune system. Stop that as it won’t help. Here’s the recipe.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae ( or thuja/ ceder family)
5-8 drops Tea Tree

In about 3/4 cup size bottle, get some Fractionated Coconut Oil (clear one) to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full then add your drops. Shake bottle well before using.

Now definitely wear surgical gloves, in your case get at least 6 fragrances free baby wipes n don’t put the away Incase you need more. I use only the 4 corners of a wipe as the center will be too thick to enter the tail pocket n will hurt your dog. Put some mixture in another little container so you can dip the ONE corner wipe at a time like a good 2-3” of the corner n enter as deep as you can and yes a good 3-4” deep. I too wasn’t going deep enough till my vet told me to. You keep dipping n cleaning till the wipe comes out clean. You might see a bit of blood, hair, slime which is ok just keep cleaning it. Do this daily or every 2 days n NOT less. Keep at it. It’s going to become a regular routine n maintenance. If not you’re back to square one. There is no pills or antibiotics will fix this problem n why would you ruined his immune system when you can do this. Your dog is getting up there in age, he needs his immune system full force. Also do add a good tablespoon of fermented sauerkraut dailyin his food. Give probiotics in food form as it’s always better than pills. Get some smell frozen tripe at your pet shop n give it as a snack. He’ll be back on track in about a good week. But you absolutely need to do this on regular basis. It’s time consuming but worth having a happy fur ball n a happy wallet.

OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Thank you for your response. Our vet would be happy to remove the tail, however, he doesn't think he would make it through the surgery/recovery. Bugsy has always been overweight, and at his age the vet thinks it would be extremely hard on him. I would do it in a heartbeat if he were younger. If there are any experienced bulldog vets on this forum, I would love to hear their opinion.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your response. Our vet would be happy to remove the tail, however, he doesn't think he would make it through the surgery/recovery. Bugsy has always been overweight, and at his age the vet thinks it would be extremely hard on him. I would do it in a heartbeat if he were younger. If there are any experienced bulldog vets on this forum, I would love to hear their opinion.

There is no need for amputation if you want to do the essential oil mix yourself.

OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Thank you so much for your response. Do you do that mix every time or does that recipe last a little while?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If I understand your circumstances correctly...

Since topical and oral treatment are NOT working...Your 2 current options are:
1. Move forward with tail removal in hopes of getting him a few more years of comfortable living.
2. Euthanasia.

I'd be inclined to do the surgery and hope that he makes it through. If he does not then he's no worse of than option 2. This is a tough decision...that I'm glad I do not have to make.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for your response. Do you do that mix every time or does that recipe last a little while?

Recipe last for a good month or so if done every 2 days. You dip the baby wipe but don’t have it dripping either. Needs to be soaked only. A bit expensive at first (well this is Canada) but way cheaper than surgery, vet visits, meds etc. For my vet to ask me what on earth I’m I doing to Nyala that works like that...means my vet knows it’s working. Also buy a quality oil. If you see example lavender at $5 n one at $25 well you have your answer. Go online get start with DoTerra brand.

Sorry but it’s not an reason to put a healthy dog down cause of an infection and smell. And Essential oils smells nice. These are all anti inflammatory oils. Why it will help him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How much do you feed him? I see you are feeding land/rice... have you thought of switching to a grain free turkey or fish based food? It might help him lose some weight?

OP
B

brittanyhall29

Feb 25, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
I'm going to start this tonight in hopes that I see some improvement in a week or so! Thank you for sharing this with me. I would love see him better and back to himself again.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to start this tonight in hopes that I see some improvement in a week or so! Thank you for sharing this with me. I would love see him better and back to himself again.

Please keep us posted!! Would love to se him feeling better

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online