Biggie tried to eat a Black Widow... OMG!!!

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
I love this dog. I mean, I really do love this little guy. But boy oh boy, he's trying to give me a heart attack at the tender age of 25. As with all puppies, Biggie is quite fond of exploring the world with his mouth. He's grown rather fond of the times spent being scolded for trying to eat wasps, rocks, dirt and trying to lick the electrical socket. Seriously. sigh...

Anyway, Biggie and I were walking into the house through the garage after checking the mail like we do everyday. I hear him smacking his lips like he has yet again gotten a hold of something that I did not hand him myself. So, what do I do? I shove my hand in his mouth and take it from him. When I look to see what it was, I found that I had a live, wiggling adult Black Widow writhing in my fingertips covered in slobber.

Obviously, I jumped, dropped it and stomped it. Threw the mail that was in my other hand on the ground (that reminds me I need to go get that), scooped him up off the ground and ran him inside. We spent the next thirty minutes with me up to my elbows in his mouth with a flashlight and a spoon (to move tongue around). He has since had another one of these checks every thirty minutes since and is not very happy about it. I think somehow he luckily did not get bitten, but I'm still keeping an eye on him like a freaking eagle. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, but I was and still am so scared that I was furiously angry. I'm just thankful I didn't lash out on him and just acted concerned instead because honestly, he did what dogs do.

Well, now to go search the entire garage for any more Black Widows and spray more chemicals than Keith Richards has come into contact with. Like I said, he's acting his normal self and appears to be fine, but I'll rush him to the Emergency vet if I notice even a slight change.

Now that the terror is over. Here are some cutie face pictures...
IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

100_0964.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
YIKES!!!! My worse fear Spiders!! I am so glad that neither one of you got bit it would not have been good for either of you!! And don't for one minute think it is a "puppy" thing, Vegas ate a huge big horsefly just a month or so ago and he is two!!

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
YIKES!!!! My worse fear Spiders!! I am so glad that neither one of you got bit it would not have been good for either of you!! And don't for one minute think it is a "puppy" thing, Vegas ate a huge big horsefly just a month or so ago and he is two!!

Yeah, I don't imagine this being grown out of either... lol. But, again, I can't get mad at him for being a dog. Especially when he's so darn freaking cute at it! The spiders don't really scare me so much anymore. I mean, they used to, but when you've seen a huge camel spider chase a grown man, well, the spiders in the US aren't so bad any more... lol.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I hate spiders! I don't know which one I hate the most...spiders or mice! If I see a spider, at least I can stay calm...if I see a mouse, I am screaming sissy bloody murder!!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wouldve freaked! Glad it is all well so far. Did you look up symptoms of getting bit?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I hate spiders! I don't know which one I hate the most...spiders or mice! If I see a spider, at least I can stay calm...if I see a mouse, I am screaming sissy bloody murder!!!!!

Want that on video please!!!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
OMG! Biggie! So glad he's looking ok. Geez!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Thanks goodness I've never been witness to something like that. Sadly I have to say I've found BabyGirl with a fledgeling in her mouth but I was too late to save it. Now I do a yard inspection every spring to make sure there are no baby birds on the ground.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
How scary!

We have black widows around our backyard too and I fear the dog getting into them. The venom could be fatal to a small dog so BE CAREFUL BIGGIE!

(and let me know if you find an effective way to get rid of them!)

L

Lucy-licious

:whew: so glad Biggie is OK! :whew:

His slobber must have stunned it :whew:

Now go retrieve your post, have a strong cup of coffee with heaps of sugar and BREATH!! :hug:

I though have never been soo glad that I live in boring old England :)
No poisonous spiders here No! No! No!
Big hairy house spiders that move fast and jump at me and chase me round the house :eek:
Or lurk in the bathtub or under the sheets hiding and waiting to pounce at me :eek:
But no nasty poison :whew:

Oh and if at all possible I love Biggie more now than before that picture of him snuggled with another dog (introductions please) is precious :luv:

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Yikes! Glad Biggie is ok!!! Whew!!! We moved in this house a little over 2 years ago, and we were cleaning out the flower beds. My 3 year old nephew is standing beside a big concrete slab that I have my big flower pots on and all of a sudden he says look auntie, a beautiful spider!!! I jumped up and ran over just as this BRAVE lil boy was fixing to pick up a black widow!!! I FREAKED!!! I immediately smooshed it , after I looked at it and called the exterminator. It was (to be a spider) BEAUTIFUL. Shiny black with a perfect shiny red hour glass.....we have never seen anymore and I am thankful :)

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
I wouldve freaked! Glad it is all well so far. Did you look up symptoms of getting bit?
I did, and surprisingly enough, they are different for different spiders. I suppose it depends on the venom. Either way, his behavior never changed. The lucky little snot must have chanelled the spirit of Hooch and lathered up a protective layer of drewl... lol

Want that on video please!!!
Um, yeah, +1... lol

How scary!

We have black widows around our backyard too and I fear the dog getting into them. The venom could be fatal to a small dog so BE CAREFUL BIGGIE!

(and let me know if you find an effective way to get rid of them!)
That was my concern, for such a small puppy with such a high metabolism... whew, I was scared for him!
There is actually black widow specific poison that you can get. I'll let you know once I pick one. I had to use it before when volunteering at a dog rescue in Texas once.

:whew: so glad Biggie is OK! :whew:

His slobber must have stunned it :whew:

Now go retrieve your post, have a strong cup of coffee with heaps of sugar and BREATH!! :hug:

I though have never been soo glad that I live in boring old England :)
No poisonous spiders here No! No! No!
Big hairy house spiders that move fast and jump at me and chase me round the house :eek:
Or lurk in the bathtub or under the sheets hiding and waiting to pounce at me :eek:
But no nasty poison :whew:

Oh and if at all possible I love Biggie more now than before that picture of him snuggled with another dog (introductions please) is precious :luv:
That is my best friends Lab named Iris! She's a sweetie pie and eventually gave in to Biggie's persistant demand of snuggle time.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh I agree his slobber must have just been too much for that ferocious spider. I can picture it the way they look as I am trying to drown them when I see them. Thankfully he did NOT get bit my gosh! There is nothing worse than making a parent worry. Yes spray spray and spray again!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow that is so scary ... and I was freaking out when Daddy came into the house a few days ago with a wasp still alive and kicking in his mouth!! I have to agree that bulldog drool must have super powers - enough to immobilize any creepy crawly on contact!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.