General Question Staph Skin Infection

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello to all, Bella my EB is starting to show early signs of a staph skin infection that she has had in the past always around this time of year. I am checking with you about the correct dosage of clavulin tables for her, online they say it is 6.25mg per lb, Bella is 80lbs so that is 500mg twice daily. I was able to purchase 875mg tablets in the Dominican Republic from a pharmacy so I was planning on giving her half a table twice a day for 5 tom7 days, comments please.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m not sure of the drug you list, but I tagged someone who might know.

staph is signs of a weaken immune system... if not giving a probiotic you may want to start adding one.
Goats milk or refrigerated sauerkraut are two options

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, dose looks right, the only thing I doubt is that 1 week will be enough, I would think rather about 2,5-3 weeks. After youā€™re done with antibiotics, it is usually recommended to give some probiotics to restore intestinal flora and help immune system. Sauerkraut, yogurt, green tripe etc. Goat milk Iā€™m not sure about it probiotic quality, as raw milk is prohibited in the US, so goat milk is pasteurised as all other milks. It is very hypoallergenic though.
Good quality fish oil with high EPA and DHA content also can help with skin issues.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Iā€™m not sure of the drug you list, but I tagged someone who might know.

staph is signs of a weaken immune system... if not giving a probiotic you may want to start adding one.
Goats milk or refrigerated sauerkraut are two options

Bella has been eating 1/4 paddy of tripe (probiotic) everyday for about a year.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yeah, dose looks right, the only thing I doubt is that 1 week will be enough, I would think rather about 2,5-3 weeks. After youā€™re done with antibiotics, it is usually recommended to give some probiotics to restore intestinal flora and help immune system. Sauerkraut, yogurt, green tripe etc. Goat milk Iā€™m not sure about it probiotic quality, as raw milk is prohibited in the US, so goat milk is pasteurised as all other milks. It is very hypoallergenic though.
Good quality fish oil with high EPA and DHA content also can help with skin issues.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Then my other suggestion as Natalia stated... not on antibiotics long enough. I remember one of my bulldogs needed to be on it for three weeks before we noticed any changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Then my other suggestion as Natalia stated... not on antibiotics long enough. I remember one of my bulldogs needed to be on it for three weeks before we noticed any changes

OK, I'll try the antibiotics for 2 weeks. I was concerned because she just finished taking antibiotics for 28 days on February 1st for a UTI.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK, I'll try the antibiotics for 2 weeks. I was concerned because she just finished taking antibiotics for 28 days on February 1st for a UTI.

Different antibiotics for each may be needed

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online