Help Needed! Kick in the Face

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Dog was accidentally kicked in the face last night playing in the snow. Vet appointment Friday. Meantime...

• He has a black muzzle/snout. There's a red stripe there now - will that heal?

• Pretty sure he's bruised somewhere inside because he can't control his drool & chews a little differently - takes longer to chew a treat & often drops them. Can't find the bruise. Wondering how long that might take to heal? His drooling was awesome - almost zero - prior to this.

Thx...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dog was accidentally kicked in the face last night playing in the snow. Vet appointment Friday. Meantime...
  • He has a black muzzle/snout. There's a red stripe there now - will that heal?

• Pretty sure he's bruised somewhere inside because he can't control his drool & chews a little differently - takes longer to chew a treat & often drops them. Can't find the bruise. Wondering how long that might take to heal? His drooling was awesome - almost zero - prior to this.

Thx...

Go figure Van never gets snow either. Probably swelled up inside from the kick. And yes explains the drooling. Did you checked his teeth? Any loose?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Go figure Van never gets snow either. Probably swelled up inside from the kick. And yes explains the drooling. Did you checked his teeth? Any loose?

Yep, checked, not easy. Donā€™t think so.

How long before the swelling goes down?

What about the... (scar?). In that spot, will it heal, or stay pink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep, checked, not easy. Donā€™t think so.

How long before the swelling goes down?

What about the... (scar?). In that spot, will it heal, or stay pink?

What do you mean by red stripe? Like is it a cut or scrape? If so, for time being, put some coconut oil and rub it on. Not much you can put there cause heā€™s going to lick it off. CO is natural, great for inflammation, scars and will help heal. Rub in properly as he willlick it but at least but rubbing it in and massaging it, the skin will still absorb most of it.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
What do you mean by red stripe? Like is it a cut or scrape? If so, for time being, put some coconut oil and rub it on. Not much you can put there cause heā€™s going to lick it off. CO is natural, great for inflammation, scars and will help heal. Rub in properly as he willlick it but at least but rubbing it in and massaging it, the skin will still absorb most of it.

Neither. The area around his mouth is black. Now thereā€™s a little pink - from a distance it looks like the tip of his tongue is out. Just wondering if this heals?

Attaching after & before pics!

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Neither. The area around his mouth is black. Now thereā€™s a little pink - from a distance it looks like the tip of his tongue is out. Just wondering if this heals?

View attachment 115521

View attachment 115522

To me, looks like the kick simply swelled up the lip. Hey, if i get kicked in the mouth, I sure would have a fat lip too.

Some warm water and add a bit of Epsom salt will work. Like 2 cups of warm water n one teaspoon of Epsom salt. Do little compression on it. Like little dabs. Itā€™s going to help with the swelling. Donā€™t give him any treats for now if he has problems chewing. If youā€™re feeding kibbles, you might want to soften it up with warm water. Your vet will check the gums n all and will decide what to give him if he needs anything. I think since this just happened it will take a few days before he gets back on track. If heā€™s in pain aspirin can be given to dogs BUT I would start with the epsom salt first.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 115521

View attachment 115522

Was there any blood when it happened? His lip does look swollen but his lower jaw does too.. to me on the right in the photo

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9655]SamiSalo[/MENTION] How is Salo doing today? Did he set the Vet? Checking in on him.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
He's probably in pain...swelling and drooling will soon stop. Drooling can be associated with irritation/pain. My guess is...If he's eating OK, he'll be fine in a week or so.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Was there any blood when it happened? His lip does look swollen but his lower jaw does too.. to me on the right in the photo

Yep, but there's always blood when he plays w/the basketball - tongue, collateral damage, etc. So I usually curb it to 5 minutes or so. Hard to explain. Posted a couple of videos on Instagram - salo.the.bully. Happened at night, didn't see the kick - someone else at the park was playing w/him when it happened...

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
@SamiSalo How is Salo doing today? Did he set the Vet? Checking in on him.

Saw the vet yesterday morning. She found several ulcers in his mouth, some very deep/far back inside. Due to his history/UTIs/Kidneys, we did a blood test. All good. She thinks he took in some road salt because she can't see it all being from the kick or play. And, there was a smell so there's an infection. She prescribed a pain killer & antibiotics.

Drooling improved after the first pain killer dose. This morning, he stole & chewed a ball/park like it was no big deal - stopped him, not allowed for a week.

Thx for asking.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Saw the vet yesterday morning. She found several ulcers in his mouth, some very deep/far back inside. Due to his history/UTIs/Kidneys, we did a blood test. All good. She thinks he took in some road salt because she can't see it all being from the kick or play. And, there was a smell so there's an infection. She prescribed a pain killer & antibiotics.

Drooling improved after the first pain killer dose. This morning, he stole & chewed a ball/park like it was no big deal - stopped him, not allowed for a week.

Thx for asking.

Ouch... poor fellaā€” hope he heals up quickly

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Drooling improved after the first pain killer dose. This morning, he stole & chewed a ball/park like it was no big deal - stopped him, not allowed for a week. Thx for asking.

Good to know heā€™ll be back on track in no time. Donā€™t forget to give him probiotics since heā€™s taking antibiotics. I like fermented sauerkraut or a plain Greek yogurt that ingredients says ā€œlive cultureā€ on it. If he had or has a history of UTIs/Kidneys, I would keep giving fermented sauerkraut on regular basis. I give my 2 every second day as they both eat raw. If they were only on kibbles definitely it would be every day.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear that Salo [MENTION=9655]SamiSalo[/MENTION] is on the mend! If he was on antibiotics for his UTI's, they can cause some ulcers in the mouth,after a time, due to killing off good bacteria. Helene is correct, give him probiotics. Can also get probiotics, to put in his food. As happens sometimes, his kick in the mouth turned out to be a good thing!!

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Happy to hear that Salo [MENTION=9655]SamiSalo[/MENTION] is on the mend! If he was on antibiotics for his UTI's, they can cause some ulcers in the mouth,after a time, due to killing off good bacteria. Helene is correct, give him probiotics. Can also get probiotics, to put in his food. As happens sometimes, his kick in the mouth turned out to be a good thing!!

Thx. Heā€™s been taking probiotics for years - Rx Biotic by Rx Vitamins for pets. I typically stop when heā€™s on meds then double the usual amount for a week or so.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online