Possible neck or spinal issue. Any thoughts?

chris89topher

Aug 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hey Bullie family. My Winnie has something going on that started today and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. Possibly a spinal or neck issue.

Early this morning I fed her and took her outside. She got down the deck stairs, sneezed a few times, started yelping and wouldn't move. I had to sit with her in the yard a few minutes and then finally carried her back in the house. She sat in her bed but wouldn't lay down. Every few minutes she'd cough and then cry or yelp. This started suddenly, as she was fine last night.

I took her to the vet today to get checked. They did an exam, bent her every direction and did notice her belly was a little firm but Winnie didn't cry or whine. I took her outside the vet where she pottied twice, then we went back into the exam room. She seemed to perk up a little. They said they could run x-rays but suggested that since she seemed ok and they couldn't find anything to just wait and see.

Later today I realized she will not bend her neck down to eat from her bowl. I have to hand feed her so she doesn't bend and still carry her up and down the stairs.

If she is bad tomorrow I plan to take her to the animal emergency room but I'm trying to wait for her normal vet on Monday if possible. Has anyone experienced something like this or have any idea of what this could be? About 6 months ago she had doggie bronchitis and an ear infection before that but nothing like this. Any thoughts? :*(

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey Bullie family. My Winnie has something going on that started today and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. Possibly a spinal or neck issue.

Early this morning I fed her and took her outside. She got down the deck stairs, sneezed a few times, started yelping and wouldn't move. I had to sit with her in the yard a few minutes and then finally carried her back in the house. She sat in her bed but wouldn't lay down. Every few minutes she'd cough and then cry or yelp. This started suddenly, as she was fine last night.

I took her to the vet today to get checked. They did an exam, bent her every direction and did notice her belly was a little firm but Winnie didn't cry or whine. I took her outside the vet where she pottied twice, then we went back into the exam room. She seemed to perk up a little. They said they could run x-rays but suggested that since she seemed ok and they couldn't find anything to just wait and see.

Later today I realized she will not bend her neck down to eat from her bowl. I have to hand feed her so she doesn't bend and still carry her up and down the stairs.

If she is bad tomorrow I plan to take her to the animal emergency room but I'm trying to wait for her normal vet on Monday if possible. Has anyone experienced something like this or have any idea of what this could be? About 6 months ago she had doggie bronchitis and an ear infection before that but nothing like this. Any thoughts? :*(

Thanks!

I’ll tag some that did
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks!

welcome to EBN... it sounds like a vertebra issue, are most likely didn’t show signs while at vet due to adrenaline covering up the pain. Make an apply for X-rays ... I have had three with this type of issue, unfortunately common with bulldogs due to how humans have changed their structure of the years. My guys have not required surgery but [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] baby has with her Frenchie. We are able to use laser therapy for my current two for relief of inflammation, but my previous girl, she need laser with daily dose of Gabapetin and Deramaxx on occasion.

for now, limit stairs, jumping and running.

please keep us posted

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This happened once w/my boxer Roxie... we have a doggie door, and she would run thru it unfortunately. One day she just stopped moving her head, kept her gaze down and started whimpering. We rushed her to the vets, and after x-rays they determined she had a bone spur in her neck. After a course of pain meds and anti-inflammatories she was okay, but of course she started suffering from arthritis as she got older. I didn't have to go the laser route as some other members, but that was definitely on the table. Luckily I was able to control her pain thru medications and injections...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The most important thing right now will be strict crate rest until you can get to vet. That means only allowed out to eat and potty/poop. No jumping, no running and no stairs.

Depending on what exactly is wrong, crate rest and meds could be enough. However, if surgery is recommended I would do it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
chris89topher

chris89topher

Aug 23, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thank you all very much. I'll keep you posted after the next vet appointment tomorrow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.