OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Hi there, our Dudley is 10 weeks into his recovery from his cruciate surgery so I know exactly what you're going through! Dudley will not take any pills if he gets the slightest whiff or taste of them they are spat straight out! he's a total pain! :D

So here's what we used, cheese or pate works really well but it depends what allergies your Bully may have.

Is she on Kibble or wet food? because we found that if I put a handful of his kibble into our food blender and turned it into powder you can then add a tiny bit of water and you can easily mold it like clay around her tablets, this worked really well with Dudley to the point where he was waiting for his meds thinking he was getting a treat!:D

Awesome :)
She's on hills derm defense. I tried banana. Goodness, it's very slippery and it even slips out of her mouth, but the pills went in. So far so good.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yes, crushing the pills after a trail test seems not to really work.
I agree that getting the pill in one shot is the best idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what this means, but thanks to all. I have something to work with now.

Re crushing pills
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25325120

I had to get very sneaky when Chumly was diagnosed with CHF. He was the worst dog in the world to give pills to and one of the many pills he had to take was huge. In the end, after trying every food imaginable to hide it in, I hid it in sliced cheese, wrapped in bread, buttered both sides and dipped thoroughly in wet cat food! I am not exaggerating. It was the only way to get that pill down him. Needs must!

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Ugh... now she even refuses the banana. Times like this i wish the pharma companies made every pill palatable, like a sweet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ugh... now she even refuses the banana. Times like this i wish the pharma companies made every pill palatable, like a sweet.

Try vanilla ice cream... it’s cold so they just swallow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
It seems i found a solution, and she's consistent in eating her food with the medication.

I pour in her pellets of Derm Defence, then i pour about two large spoons of plain greek yoghurt, i put her pills in the yoghurt, i cover her pills with slightly more yoghurt and the i pour more pellets into her bowl on top of the yoghurt.

It works.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.