Help Needed! Giving her medication

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Our 4 year old got an operation to fix her cruciate ligament, and she's constantly on medication. I have to give her lots of pills in the morning and then lesser in the evening.

Problem is she doesn't like it, so what i do now is crush it into powder, throw it over her food and add a pit of plain yoghurt and she eats it, but lots of the powder stay behind.

Trying to feed her by hand with her food and her pills is an incredibly difficult task and especially with the amount of pills she has to swallow it really is not a solution. She spits out a lot of the pills.

Our vet recommended giving her canned versions of her food but that would be so expensive. We are already struggling to pay the operation costs, and the meds are just piling up.

Also, she had skin issues in the past, so i cannot feed her anything. Our vet only recommends she eats her dermatology food and nothing else really.

Is there an inventive way for me to feed her her pills ? I would be so grateful.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
If your baby can have peanut butter we have put the pill in peanut butter and put on or fingers mixed with the pill and kind of scrap it in the the roof of their mouth. We have one that is a pain to give pills to. He eventually even figured how to not eat them then too! Lol
I am sure others will have some advice. Good luck!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
If your baby can have peanut butter we have put the pill in peanut butter and put on or fingers mixed with the pill and kind of scrap it in the the roof of their mouth. We have one that is a pain to give pills to. He eventually even figured how to not eat them then too! Lol
I am sure others will have some advice. Good luck!

:goodpost: We use a small amount of peanut butter (PLEASE make sure it is NOT sugar free!!!) or some people hide it in a little ice cream.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our 4 year old got an operation to fix her cruciate ligament, and she's constantly on medication. I have to give her lots of pills in the morning and then lesser in the evening.

Problem is she doesn't like it, so what i do now is crush it into powder, throw it over her food and add a pit of plain yoghurt and she eats it, but lots of the powder stay behind.

Trying to feed her by hand with her food and her pills is an incredibly difficult task and especially with the amount of pills she has to swallow it really is not a solution. She spits out a lot of the pills.

Our vet recommended giving her canned versions of her food but that would be so expensive. We are already struggling to pay the operation costs, and the meds are just piling up.

Also, she had skin issues in the past, so i cannot feed her anything. Our vet only recommends she eats her dermatology food and nothing else really.

Is there an inventive way for me to feed her her pills ? I would be so grateful.

i use either watermelon or a little vanilla ice cream... never fails

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We use EZ cheese.

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Thank you all. Much appreciated!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Everyone has great suggestions! My dogs love the cheese, or peanutbutter! (don't let them see you put the pill in) Some of mine have seen, and would not take it!!
I have a question--Why so many pills? Fortunately, I have not yet dealt with this particular thing(fingers crossed) Anyone???

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sounds like great suggestions here (even I would take pills if they were coated with peanut butter or ice cream!). You say you crush the pills. I wouldn't do that as any bitter or strong taste will then become more noticeable to the dog. I think it's better to try to get the pill into the dog in one piece so that it dissolves inside the dog instead!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Also, with crushing pills, you have to make sure they are NOT time release.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am not suggesting this for the dogs, but when I had horses(sometimes they had to take-big horse pills...) I had to crush them up,mix with some powdered jello, a little water,put it in a large syringe, and squirt it in their mouth. They loved it. But I had to mix it just before the squirt, or else the jello would jell and was too thick to squirt!! Ha!ha! sometimes you have to be devious :evil: to help animals!

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
Sounds like great suggestions here (even I would take pills if they were coated with peanut butter or ice cream!). You say you crush the pills. I wouldn't do that as any bitter or strong taste will then become more noticeable to the dog. I think it's better to try to get the pill into the dog in one piece so that it dissolves inside the dog instead!

Yes, crushing the pills after a trail test seems not to really work.
I agree that getting the pill in one shot is the best idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with crushing pills, you have to make sure they are NOT time release.

Not sure what this means, but thanks to all. I have something to work with now.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, crushing the pills after a trail test seems not to really work.
I agree that getting the pill in one shot is the best idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what this means, but thanks to all. I have something to work with now.

Time release is a technology used to ensure that medicines are administered into the body system in a certain way = the pill can be set to release the ingredients in a certain way and at a certain pace. To make sure that works, the pill needs to go into the body in one piece, so to speak!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi there, our Dudley is 10 weeks into his recovery from his cruciate surgery so I know exactly what you're going through! Dudley will not take any pills if he gets the slightest whiff or taste of them they are spat straight out! he's a total pain! :D

So here's what we used, cheese or pate works really well but it depends what allergies your Bully may have.

Is she on Kibble or wet food? because we found that if I put a handful of his kibble into our food blender and turned it into powder you can then add a tiny bit of water and you can easily mold it like clay around her tablets, this worked really well with Dudley to the point where he was waiting for his meds thinking he was getting a treat!:D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
After Jax had surgery he was getting several pills throughout the day and as time went in, it was getting harder to give them. I used almond butter, string cheese, blueberries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.