berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Bella constantly likes eating grass. She does it all the time. Last weekend we caught her chewing on a long grass in the yard and the next morning at 1am she puked up a rather large amount of it when we were sleeping. For the following 15 minutes or so she kept hacking almost like dry-heaving trying to get something more out but nothing came. She finally fell back asleep for a bit and then my husband tried to scoot her over a little and she woke up and began shaking, not like a seizure, but like shivering or from pain of something. Her breathing became super fast and shallow.

We started the car once to take her to emergency and then decided not to. Went back to lay down with her and by 4am we got dressed again and took her in. They didn't really come up with any answers but gave her a pain shot, an anti-nausea shot and sent us with antibiotics. Vet didn't hear anything going on in her lungs but said if there is some sort of infection we would get a jump on it. (She had been a little extra phlegmy as of late too.)

Got her to our regular vet that afternoon and she was concerned about pneumonia, but it turned out to be bronchitis. Her blood came back ok - slightly elevated liver enzymes and wht blood cells - and she doesn't seem to be in any pain now, but she's still kinda out of it, almost distant. We are hoping it's just residual pain med wearing off and the prednisone she's on now.

Anyone have experience with this? No one ever really figured out why she was shaking/shivering. My poor husband is worried sick - she is his baby and she is 10 1/2. They are so tight! Any anecdotes/ideas/help greatly appreciated!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sometimes dogs eat grass so that they will throw up... almost like they know something is wrong. Do you think she has an obstruction? Did they do an x-ray on her?

Bronchitis happens to bullies often, I would say let her rest... put a humidifier close to her, and you can put her in the bathroom w/a hot steaming shower going so that warm mist can break up the congestion. Be mindful of her getting too hot though... and make sure she is drinking water or eating ice chips.

I'm not sure about the shivering/shaking unless it's from the meds... did you ask your vet about it?

I hope that your baby feels better soon!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION]. If you have a diffuser add this mixture of oils above where your dog sleeps.

If your diffuser holds a cup of water:

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint
8 drops of Lavender
4 drops of Tea Tree

leave the diffuser on 24/7 if you can. It will clear the lungs out.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
X-rays showed no pneumonia or tumors. She was shaking before she took any meds, that's the weird part. Neither the regular vet nor the ER vet could explain the shaking. She was much more her normal self last night. It is in the low 20s here, so I am not walking her right now. Letting her rest. Thanks for the input!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
X-rays showed no pneumonia or tumors. She was shaking before she took any meds, that's the weird part. Neither the regular vet nor the ER vet could explain the shaking. She was much more her normal self last night. It is in the low 20s here, so I am not walking her right now. Letting her rest. Thanks for the input!

They ruled out maybe a little tremor or epilepsy? X-ray won’t show that either.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We send our best wishes to Bella!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION] Hoping that Bella is starting to feel better . If she had a temperature(you didn't say) that could have made the shivering. Sometimes when they just don't feel well,and are normally sensitive dogs, they can shiver. My dogs eat grass all the time, like they are grazing horses! First pack of dogs I've had, that graze like this. If they eat too much, or eat the thick blades, they will vomit it. I was constantly telling them to stop eating s*it, but gave up! Sending good wishes for Bella. Let us know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bella constantly likes eating grass. She does it all the time. Last weekend we caught her chewing on a long grass in the yard and the next morning at 1am she puked up a rather large amount of it when we were sleeping. For the following 15 minutes or so she kept hacking almost like dry-heaving trying to get something more out but nothing came. She finally fell back asleep for a bit and then my husband tried to scoot her over a little and she woke up and began shaking, not like a seizure, but like shivering or from pain of something. Her breathing became super fast and shallow.

We started the car once to take her to emergency and then decided not to. Went back to lay down with her and by 4am we got dressed again and took her in. They didn't really come up with any answers but gave her a pain shot, an anti-nausea shot and sent us with antibiotics. Vet didn't hear anything going on in her lungs but said if there is some sort of infection we would get a jump on it. (She had been a little extra phlegmy as of late too.)

Got her to our regular vet that afternoon and she was concerned about pneumonia, but it turned out to be bronchitis. Her blood came back ok - slightly elevated liver enzymes and wht blood cells - and she doesn't seem to be in any pain now, but she's still kinda out of it, almost distant. We are hoping it's just residual pain med wearing off and the prednisone she's on now.

Anyone have experience with this? No one ever really figured out why she was shaking/shivering. My poor husband is worried sick - she is his baby and she is 10 1/2. They are so tight! Any anecdotes/ideas/help greatly appreciated!!!

How is she doing? shivering can be from pain or discomfort or as Lynn stated, if she had a fever.
follow Helene's advice with the essential oils … they really help

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
She's doing much better; was babying her leg for a few days but now seems more and more like her old self. Has a couple doses of steroid left - thank God, because it's making her crazy! LOL - and she'd done with antibiotic. She did in fact have a fever so that could be why she was shaking. It's just odd because she did it on every inward breath. Made us think it was from pain. Thank you all for your kind words!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's doing much better; was babying her leg for a few days but now seems more and more like her old self. Has a couple doses of steroid left - thank God, because it's making her crazy! LOL - and she'd done with antibiotic. She did in fact have a fever so that could be why she was shaking. It's just odd because she did it on every inward breath. Made us think it was from pain. Thank you all for your kind words!

Great news... so happy she is progressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It is possible that she was shivering because of rapid body Temperature increase. Another very possible reason is, if you remember yourself vomiting, after big throw up you always shake and feel cold, because vomiting center in the brain is situated very close to other important centres which regulate many functions- blood pressure, temperature, breathing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.