Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemangiosarcoma

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Hemangiosarcoma

I posted about our Winnie last week, and having his spleen removed due to eating a toy and finding cancer. We went to his vet visit yesterday to have his sutures removed. The visit went well! He is doing good, and everything is healing properly. However, we found out during our appointment that we only have up to 1 year left with our boy

A little back story- his spleen and tumor did not rupture (good thing!) which gives him more time than most with a hemangiosarcoma.

Have any of you experienced this with your bullies? If so, about how long was it before they were gone? Was it the year, just a couple of months? I am new to this. None of our fur babies have ever had surgery of any sort much less cancer. I am one scared momma right now. He is doing so well, but the fact I didn't know anything was wrong with him in the first place (besides eating the toy) is what scares me the most. What if I don't know something is wrong again? I don't want our guy to suffer what so ever. I just don't know what to do other than look for the signs our doctor told us to look for. I thought that once his spleen and tumor were removed we would be in the clear. Finding out that we will most likely never be in clear is heart breaking. We also have a 2.5 year old little boy, and he and our Winnie are best friends! I would love to hear any stories, advice, experiences that you are up for sharing!

I apologize for the long post, just not sure what to think at the moment

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hemangiosarcoma

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryfanning View Post
    I posted about our Winnie last week, and having his spleen removed due to eating a toy and finding cancer. We went to his vet visit yesterday to have his sutures removed. The visit went well! He is doing good, and everything is healing properly. However, we found out during our appointment that we only have up to 1 year left with our boy

A little back story- his spleen and tumor did not rupture (good thing!) which gives him more time than most with a hemangiosarcoma.

Have any of you experienced this with your bullies? If so, about how long was it before they were gone? Was it the year, just a couple of months? I am new to this. None of our fur babies have ever had surgery of any sort much less cancer. I am one scared momma right now. He is doing so well, but the fact I didn't know anything was wrong with him in the first place (besides eating the toy) is what scares me the most. What if I don't know something is wrong again? I don't want our guy to suffer what so ever. I just don't know what to do other than look for the signs our doctor told us to look for. I thought that once his spleen and tumor were removed we would be in the clear. Finding out that we will most likely never be in clear is heart breaking. We also have a 2.5 year old little boy, and he and our Winnie are best friends! I would love to hear any stories, advice, experiences that you are up for sharing!

I apologize for the long post, just not sure what to think at the moment
    I am very sorry for Winston (and of course you) for having to go through this....I cannot offer any advice or information BUT I CAN OFFER MY PRAYERS! Which you can count on!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

4. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am so sad to read this. I have been through this, with my sweet Frenchie.Carlie was only 4 years old, when she died. The best you can do is enjoy every bit of time you have with Winnie. If you can find a good child's book about death and heaven, I would get one, and occasionally read it to your boy, so that when the time comes, he will sort of be prepared(though we are never really). Since there is no miracle that anyone can perform, just enjoy all the time you have with Winnie. You will know when his time comes,he may pass on his own one day, or he may need pain meds, and for a little while, but you will know when he is ready-he will let you know. You are not alone, we are always here for you,to cry, to laugh, or just be support when needed. Many of us have suffered losses, and we know the feeling. The best advice is enjoy every day with him, and take one day at a time. @hilaryfanning
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes sisters3, harveyspecter, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    I am very sorry for Winston (and of course you) for having to go through this....I cannot offer any advice or information BUT I CAN OFFER MY PRAYERS! Which you can count on!
    Thank you so much

8. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

My heart is breaking for you right now. I don't have any experience I can share, but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy every day you have and spoil your baby.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

10. Likes Manydogs, sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I am so sad to read this. I have been through this, with my sweet Frenchie.Carlie was only 4 years old, when she died. The best you can do is enjoy every bit of time you have with Winnie. If you can find a good child's book about death and heaven, I would get one, and occasionally read it to your boy, so that when the time comes, he will sort of be prepared(though we are never really). Since there is no miracle that anyone can perform, just enjoy all the time you have with Winnie. You will know when his time comes,he may pass on his own one day, or he may need pain meds, and for a little while, but you will know when he is ready-he will let you know. You are not alone, we are always here for you,to cry, to laugh, or just be support when needed. Many of us have suffered losses, and we know the feeling. The best advice is enjoy every day with him, and take one day at a time. @hilaryfanning
    Thank you so much! I am so sorry this has happened to your family. We've never lost an animal in our home since being married. He was our first puppy. I will look into those books, thanks for the idea!

12. Likes Manydogs, sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    My heart is breaking for you right now. I don't have any experience I can share, but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy every day you have and spoil your baby.
    Thank you! He will definitely be spoiled (even more than usual lol)

14. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bd), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I lost my 4 year old Corgi - Lilly - to cancer. She had a checkup in September, 5 years back, and in January she had lumps that were cancer. She lasted about 2 months before I had to put her to sleep. Then I rescued my dear Mickey and I had him 1 year and 3 months before I lost him to cancer as well, about 2-3 years ago, he was at least 12 years old, not sure because they found him as a stray before I adopted him. Definitely get some books that will help your son deal with this. It is hard and it will get easier as time goes by, but there are some days it will all come back like it was yesterday. My prayers are with you and your family during this time and after.

16. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry you received this news but good to hear that Winnie is doing well now. I have no experience but as @Manydogs says, reading a book about death is one way of bringing up this difficult topic with your toddler. I am sure there are many suitable books with different approaches depending on how you wish to bring up such a topic. I know of a lovely Swedish children's book, which happens to be translated into English as Goodbye, Mr. Muffin (by Ulf Nilsson; illustrations by Anna-Clara Tidholm). It's an absolutely lovely story about an old guinea pig who looks back at his life. I haven't found the book online, but on Amazon, I found the following description.
    "I've had it good, better than most: a very clever and kind wife, a little blue house with its own letter box, six furry little children..."

In his youth, Mr. Muffin was a strong guinea pig who could carry a whole cucumber on his back. Now old, grey and tired, he looks back on his life. Then one Wednesday morning, he feels a sharp pain in his stomach ...

This picture book is for ages three and up. It tells the touching story about the death of a much-loved pet. Growing old, death rites, the question of the afterlife, all handled with warmth and gentle humor.

The story also shows that the final stages of life need not be a 'difficult' subject. A beautiful book that children love―it is one of Sweden's bestselling and most-borrowed children's books―Goodbye Mr Muffin won the 2002 Swedish August Prize. Voted book of the year by a children's poll in both the Swedish Book Jury Prize (2002) and the French Chronos Prize for Youth Literature (2008—2009).

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

18. Likes sisters3, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie1991 View Post
    I lost my 4 year old Corgi - Lilly - to cancer. She had a checkup in September, 5 years back, and in January she had lumps that were cancer. She lasted about 2 months before I had to put her to sleep. Then I rescued my dear Mickey and I had him 1 year and 3 months before I lost him to cancer as well, about 2-3 years ago, he was at least 12 years old, not sure because they found him as a stray before I adopted him. Definitely get some books that will help your son deal with this. It is hard and it will get easier as time goes by, but there are some days it will all come back like it was yesterday. My prayers are with you and your family during this time and after.
    I am so sorry to hear your babies! Thank you for sharing your story, and your prayers!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I'm so sorry you received this news but good to hear that Winnie is doing well now. I have no experience but as @Manydogs says, reading a book about death is one way of bringing up this difficult topic with your toddler. I am sure there are many suitable books with different approaches depending on how you wish to bring up such a topic. I know of a lovely Swedish children's book, which happens to be translated into English as Goodbye, Mr. Muffin (by Ulf Nilsson; illustrations by Anna-Clara Tidholm). It's an absolutely lovely story about an old guinea pig who looks back at his life. I haven't found the book online, but on Amazon, I found the following description.
    "I've had it good, better than most: a very clever and kind wife, a little blue house with its own letter box, six furry little children..."

In his youth, Mr. Muffin was a strong guinea pig who could carry a whole cucumber on his back. Now old, grey and tired, he looks back on his life. Then one Wednesday morning, he feels a sharp pain in his stomach ...

This picture book is for ages three and up. It tells the touching story about the death of a much-loved pet. Growing old, death rites, the question of the afterlife, all handled with warmth and gentle humor.

The story also shows that the final stages of life need not be a 'difficult' subject. A beautiful book that children love―it is one of Sweden's bestselling and most-borrowed children's books―Goodbye Mr Muffin won the 2002 Swedish August Prize. Voted book of the year by a children's poll in both the Swedish Book Jury Prize (2002) and the French Chronos Prize for Youth Literature (2008—2009).
    Thank you! I will definitely be checking out books for our son. He absolutely loves books so, I feel that it's a great way to get through to him.

21. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with this. But wanted to let you know that I will keep you, your family and Winston in
    My thoughts and prayers. And To tell you to cherish the time you have left, make memories of Winston then cherish those memories when he is gone.

23. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads