hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I posted about our Winnie last week, and having his spleen removed due to eating a toy and finding cancer. We went to his vet visit yesterday to have his sutures removed. The visit went well! He is doing good, and everything is healing properly. However, we found out during our appointment that we only have up to 1 year left with our boy :(

A little back story- his spleen and tumor did not rupture (good thing!) which gives him more time than most with a hemangiosarcoma.

Have any of you experienced this with your bullies? If so, about how long was it before they were gone? Was it the year, just a couple of months? I am new to this. None of our fur babies have ever had surgery of any sort much less cancer. I am one scared momma right now. He is doing so well, but the fact I didn't know anything was wrong with him in the first place (besides eating the toy) is what scares me the most. What if I don't know something is wrong again? I don't want our guy to suffer what so ever. I just don't know what to do other than look for the signs our doctor told us to look for. I thought that once his spleen and tumor were removed we would be in the clear. Finding out that we will most likely never be in clear is heart breaking. We also have a 2.5 year old little boy, and he and our Winnie are best friends! I would love to hear any stories, advice, experiences that you are up for sharing!

I apologize for the long post, just not sure what to think at the moment :)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I posted about our Winnie last week, and having his spleen removed due to eating a toy and finding cancer. We went to his vet visit yesterday to have his sutures removed. The visit went well! He is doing good, and everything is healing properly. However, we found out during our appointment that we only have up to 1 year left with our boy :(

A little back story- his spleen and tumor did not rupture (good thing!) which gives him more time than most with a hemangiosarcoma.

Have any of you experienced this with your bullies? If so, about how long was it before they were gone? Was it the year, just a couple of months? I am new to this. None of our fur babies have ever had surgery of any sort much less cancer. I am one scared momma right now. He is doing so well, but the fact I didn't know anything was wrong with him in the first place (besides eating the toy) is what scares me the most. What if I don't know something is wrong again? I don't want our guy to suffer what so ever. I just don't know what to do other than look for the signs our doctor told us to look for. I thought that once his spleen and tumor were removed we would be in the clear. Finding out that we will most likely never be in clear is heart breaking. We also have a 2.5 year old little boy, and he and our Winnie are best friends! I would love to hear any stories, advice, experiences that you are up for sharing!

I apologize for the long post, just not sure what to think at the moment :)

I am very sorry for Winston (and of course you) for having to go through this....I cannot offer any advice or information BUT I CAN OFFER MY PRAYERS! Which you can count on!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sad to read this. I have been through this, with my sweet Frenchie.Carlie was only 4 years old, when she died. The best you can do is enjoy every bit of time you have with Winnie. If you can find a good child's book about death and heaven, I would get one, and occasionally read it to your boy, so that when the time comes, he will sort of be prepared(though we are never really). Since there is no miracle that anyone can perform, just enjoy all the time you have with Winnie. You will know when his time comes,he may pass on his own one day, or he may need pain meds, and for a little while, but you will know when he is ready-he will let you know. You are not alone, we are always here for you,to cry, to laugh, or just be support when needed. Many of us have suffered losses, and we know the feeling. The best advice is enjoy every day with him, and take one day at a time.:heart: @hilaryfanning

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am very sorry for Winston (and of course you) for having to go through this....I cannot offer any advice or information BUT I CAN OFFER MY PRAYERS! Which you can count on!

Thank you so much :pray:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
My heart is breaking for you right now. I don't have any experience I can share, but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy every day you have and spoil your baby. :heartsign:

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am so sad to read this. I have been through this, with my sweet Frenchie.Carlie was only 4 years old, when she died. The best you can do is enjoy every bit of time you have with Winnie. If you can find a good child's book about death and heaven, I would get one, and occasionally read it to your boy, so that when the time comes, he will sort of be prepared(though we are never really). Since there is no miracle that anyone can perform, just enjoy all the time you have with Winnie. You will know when his time comes,he may pass on his own one day, or he may need pain meds, and for a little while, but you will know when he is ready-he will let you know. You are not alone, we are always here for you,to cry, to laugh, or just be support when needed. Many of us have suffered losses, and we know the feeling. The best advice is enjoy every day with him, and take one day at a time.:heart: @hilaryfanning

Thank you so much! I am so sorry this has happened to your family. We've never lost an animal in our home since being married. He was our first puppy. I will look into those books, thanks for the idea!

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My heart is breaking for you right now. I don't have any experience I can share, but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy every day you have and spoil your baby. :heartsign:

Thank you! He will definitely be spoiled (even more than usual lol)

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I lost my 4 year old Corgi - Lilly - to cancer. She had a checkup in September, 5 years back, and in January she had lumps that were cancer. She lasted about 2 months before I had to put her to sleep. Then I rescued my dear Mickey and I had him 1 year and 3 months before I lost him to cancer as well, about 2-3 years ago, he was at least 12 years old, not sure because they found him as a stray before I adopted him. Definitely get some books that will help your son deal with this. It is hard and it will get easier as time goes by, but there are some days it will all come back like it was yesterday. My prayers are with you and your family during this time and after. :angelheart::angelheart:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm so sorry you received this news but good to hear that Winnie is doing well now. I have no experience but as @Manydogs says, reading a book about death is one way of bringing up this difficult topic with your toddler. I am sure there are many suitable books with different approaches depending on how you wish to bring up such a topic. I know of a lovely Swedish children's book, which happens to be translated into English as Goodbye, Mr. Muffin (by Ulf Nilsson; illustrations by Anna-Clara Tidholm). It's an absolutely lovely story about an old guinea pig who looks back at his life. I haven't found the book online, but on Amazon, I found the following description.
"I've had it good, better than most: a very clever and kind wife, a little blue house with its own letter box, six furry little children..."

In his youth, Mr. Muffin was a strong guinea pig who could carry a whole cucumber on his back. Now old, grey and tired, he looks back on his life. Then one Wednesday morning, he feels a sharp pain in his stomach ...

This picture book is for ages three and up. It tells the touching story about the death of a much-loved pet. Growing old, death rites, the question of the afterlife, all handled with warmth and gentle humor.

The story also shows that the final stages of life need not be a 'difficult' subject. A beautiful book that children love―it is one of Sweden's bestselling and most-borrowed children's books―Goodbye Mr Muffin won the 2002 Swedish August Prize. Voted book of the year by a children's poll in both the Swedish Book Jury Prize (2002) and the French Chronos Prize for Youth Literature (2008—2009).

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I lost my 4 year old Corgi - Lilly - to cancer. She had a checkup in September, 5 years back, and in January she had lumps that were cancer. She lasted about 2 months before I had to put her to sleep. Then I rescued my dear Mickey and I had him 1 year and 3 months before I lost him to cancer as well, about 2-3 years ago, he was at least 12 years old, not sure because they found him as a stray before I adopted him. Definitely get some books that will help your son deal with this. It is hard and it will get easier as time goes by, but there are some days it will all come back like it was yesterday. My prayers are with you and your family during this time and after. :angelheart::angelheart:

I am so sorry to hear your babies! Thank you for sharing your story, and your prayers!

OP
H

hilaryfanning

Feb 2, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I'm so sorry you received this news but good to hear that Winnie is doing well now. I have no experience but as @Manydogs says, reading a book about death is one way of bringing up this difficult topic with your toddler. I am sure there are many suitable books with different approaches depending on how you wish to bring up such a topic. I know of a lovely Swedish children's book, which happens to be translated into English as Goodbye, Mr. Muffin (by Ulf Nilsson; illustrations by Anna-Clara Tidholm). It's an absolutely lovely story about an old guinea pig who looks back at his life. I haven't found the book online, but on Amazon, I found the following description.
"I've had it good, better than most: a very clever and kind wife, a little blue house with its own letter box, six furry little children..."

In his youth, Mr. Muffin was a strong guinea pig who could carry a whole cucumber on his back. Now old, grey and tired, he looks back on his life. Then one Wednesday morning, he feels a sharp pain in his stomach ...

This picture book is for ages three and up. It tells the touching story about the death of a much-loved pet. Growing old, death rites, the question of the afterlife, all handled with warmth and gentle humor.

The story also shows that the final stages of life need not be a 'difficult' subject. A beautiful book that children love―it is one of Sweden's bestselling and most-borrowed children's books―Goodbye Mr Muffin won the 2002 Swedish August Prize. Voted book of the year by a children's poll in both the Swedish Book Jury Prize (2002) and the French Chronos Prize for Youth Literature (2008—2009).

Thank you! I will definitely be checking out books for our son. He absolutely loves books so, I feel that it's a great way to get through to him.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I have no experience with this. But wanted to let you know that I will keep you, your family and Winston in
My thoughts and prayers. And To tell you to cherish the time you have left, make memories of Winston then cherish those memories when he is gone.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear about your boy. I am sad to say I know what you are going through. Just try to enjoy him as much as you can.

I didn't know Chumly had a problem until I noticed he looked swollen. After I took him to his vet, she recommended we take him to the emergency hospital straight away. She was scared he could bleed out and he needed to be seen sooner rather than later. They checked him and he had his spleen removed because of suspected Hemangiosarcoma. The oncologist vet there was super. Luckily, the biopsy showed he did not have cancer. He did great after the surgery (he was 12 years old) and we thought we were free and clear, taking into account he was an old dog. Unfortunately, we found out three months later he had congestive heart failure. They gave him 3 months and he died 3 months later almost to the day. It broke my heart and still does. I so loved the last 6 months I had with him though.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Winnie.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Simply enjoy and cherish every minute. Car rides, parks, toys, favorite food, spa days n lots of photos. :hug2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry to read this... I do not have experience directly, but I do know of many people who lost their dogs to a spleen rupture. I have also heard that unlike humans, dogs can not live w/out their spleens for very long. You are so lucky to have caught that tumor early on...

It's a horrible feeling knowing that your baby is on a timeline, and I think I speak for many of us on here who have dealt w/this. ENJOY every day... I know that it is hard, believe me... like smiling thru the tears. My heart does break for you son, my grandson was extremely close to my Winston, and we lost him in surgery. We bought him a stuffed bulldog to sleep with, and it about killed me when he asked about him... or was looking thru the house for him. I like the idea of getting him books about death, and keeping that line of communication open.

Please know that you are not alone in this... we are here for you and your family :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.