General Question Incontinence or something more?

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hello everyone,
My bulldog Lily is 7 years old. Over the past year we have been struggling with reoccurring UTI's out of the blue.
She has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks each time. She even had an issue with bladder crystals.
I've changed her diet and I do whatever I can to make her drink more water. (that's what the vet says to do)
But there is a new issues now. Over the past few months she has been going to the bathroom ( 1 & 2) anywhere and everywhere.
Sometimes she even just lays in it. I can see that both her back legs are getting weaker. I did talk to the vet about it and she said oh it's probably just some arthritis. I do have her on joint supplements.
She isn't showing any signs of another UTI right now.
My concern is that she has some incontinence and it might have to do with her back legs. There are times where is will still go on the pads but other times she is peeing and pooping on the couch or the bed.
I have a vet appointment today but I'm just at a loss here as what to do for her or what could be wrong.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have experience w/UTI's... but did they do a complete physical top to bottom? I would have that done and some bloodwork, she may have other issues going on...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds like it could be a problem with her spine, more so than her bladder/especiallly since her back legs are affected. They def. need to start with xrays, and go from there. The issue sounds like more than arthritis, unless she has degenerative discs. Insist on xrays, and the bloodwork, as Tracey stated. [MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone,
My bulldog Lily is 7 years old. Over the past year we have been struggling with reoccurring UTI's out of the blue.
She has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks each time. She even had an issue with bladder crystals.
I've changed her diet and I do whatever I can to make her drink more water. (that's what the vet says to do)
But there is a new issues now. Over the past few months she has been going to the bathroom ( 1 & 2) anywhere and everywhere.
Sometimes she even just lays in it. I can see that both her back legs are getting weaker. I did talk to the vet about it and she said oh it's probably just some arthritis. I do have her on joint supplements.
She isn't showing any signs of another UTI right now.
My concern is that she has some incontinence and it might have to do with her back legs. There are times where is will still go on the pads but other times she is peeing and pooping on the couch or the bed.
I have a vet appointment today but I'm just at a loss here as what to do for her or what could be wrong.

Agree with the posts above. Curious, what are you feeding her?

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I took her to the vet yesterday. The vet did a full physical exam of her spine and legs.
She did not do xray or blood work yet. She thinks it's most likely arthritis. She put her on pain meds ( Gabapentin 100 mg ) twice a day.
I have to bring her back in about a week. If the meds don't work than she wants to do a full blood panel and xray.
I still think it something more.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I feed her Wellness senior.
1/2 cup morning and 1/2 cup at night.
Do you think I should change her food?

When you mentioned sheā€™s been on antibiotics 4weeks each time n still has Crystals, basically the food youā€™re feeding isnā€™t helping. I had the same issue with Nyala as a pup. I didnā€™t want her on too much antibiotics as that destroys an immune system especially like the amounts yours is getting. Boot camp receptionist insisted on me buying Royal Canine. Fat chance thatā€™s going to happen. So I decided to home cook for Nyala. Boiled a massive turkey for a good 8hours, made ziplock meals with, veggies, turkey n top with the broth. Her crystals disappeared within a week ish. Bone broth has the best minerals on the planet. I would and still do freeze as ice cubes n give it as a treat. Then she went on dry raw. Then got Duke both on raw n some acana once in a while. I know yours is much older and can be harder to switch, but I personally would change as wellness isnā€™t the best kibble as has a bit too much grains. You donā€™t need to give a senior brand cause sheā€™s 7yrs old. A senior dog in the wild will still eat protein. All these puppy, adult, senior is simply a marketing strategy. There is no marketing strategy in the wild. They eat what they killed. But in the real human reality, it can be harder which is why people buy pre-made raw or kibbles. If you really want to stick to kibbles Iā€™m sure you already know we all suggest Acana, Fromm, Zignaure......Again I prefer Acana cause they add tripe in their kibbles. Your dog needs a good probiotic n tripe is one of the best probiotic. I buy it frozen. Your dog has been on antibiotics way too long. Absolutely needs a good probiotic with each meals to bring the gut back on track. I love fermented sauerkraut in the fridge side. This is just for the food side. For her not getting up is probably something to do like mentioned her spine. I would get that sorted out first. But for her crystals thatā€™s the food for sure.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would not switch foods while trying to figure out what's going on. Wellness Sr is decent food and if it's well tolerated, leave it be.
I suspect another UTI.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
When you mentioned sheā€™s been on antibiotics 4weeks each time n still has Crystals, basically the food youā€™re feeding isnā€™t helping. I had the same issue with Nyala as a pup. I didnā€™t want her on too much antibiotics as that destroys an immune system especially like the amounts yours is getting. Boot camp receptionist insisted on me buying Royal Canine. Fat chance thatā€™s going to happen. So I decided to home cook for Nyala. Boiled a massive turkey for a good 8hours, made ziplock meals with, veggies, turkey n top with the broth. Her crystals disappeared within a week ish. Bone broth has the best minerals on the planet. I would and still do freeze as ice cubes n give it as a treat. Then she went on dry raw. Then got Duke both on raw n some acana once in a while. I know yours is much older and can be harder to switch, but I personally would change as wellness isnā€™t the best kibble as has a bit too much grains. You donā€™t need to give a senior brand cause sheā€™s 7yrs old. A senior dog in the wild will still eat protein. All these puppy, adult, senior is simply a marketing strategy. There is no marketing strategy in the wild. They eat what they killed. But in the real human reality, it can be harder which is why people buy pre-made raw or kibbles. If you really want to stick to kibbles Iā€™m sure you already know we all suggest Acana, Fromm, Zignaure......Again I prefer Acana cause they add tripe in their kibbles. Your dog needs a good probiotic n tripe is one of the best probiotic. I buy it frozen. Your dog has been on antibiotics way too long. Absolutely needs a good probiotic with each meals to bring the gut back on track. I love fermented sauerkraut in the fridge side. This is just for the food side. For her not getting up is probably something to do like mentioned her spine. I would get that sorted out first. But for her crystals thatā€™s the food for sure.

That's what is so confusing. I home cooked for Lily for many years. It wasn't until last year when she all of a sudden started to get UTI's and crystals that I thought it was her diet. The vet told me to change her food to some brand that they sold in house. Which I did for a few months. I was told that she needed to drink more water to get the crystals out. So after she was done with their food I put her on Wellness. She's a bit overweight now and doesn't move around much I'm guess cause she has pain. I was thinking of going back to the home cooking but I don't what to make things worse. I really don't know what to do.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
That's what is so confusing. I home cooked for Lily for many years. It wasn't until last year when she all of a sudden started to get UTI's and crystals that I thought it was her diet. The vet told me to change her food to some brand that they sold in house. Which I did for a few months. I was told that she needed to drink more water to get the crystals out. So after she was done with their food I put her on Wellness. She's a bit overweight now and doesn't move around much I'm guess cause she has pain. I was thinking of going back to the home cooking but I don't what to make things worse. I really don't know what to do.

Raw might be a good option at this point. It is full of moisture.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

And they sold you their home brand RC or Hiils? What were you making as her meals? You see, if fed a grain based diet or a starch rich diet like potatoes or rice.... the starch alkalizes urine pH so that leads to struvite crystals or stones. Why Iā€™m curious what she was eating.

Btw, ACV will help balance the ph in the body.

Home cooking or raw, a dog will drink a lot less as itā€™s full of moisture. Sometimes mine didnā€™t drink at all with home cooking.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
And they sold you their home brand RC or Hiils? What were you making as her meals? You see, if fed a grain based diet or a starch rich diet like potatoes or rice.... the starch alkalizes urine pH so that leads to struvite crystals or stones. Why Iā€™m curious what she was eating.

Btw, ACV will help balance the ph in the body.

Home cooking or raw, a dog will drink a lot less as itā€™s full of moisture. Sometimes mine didnā€™t drink at all with home cooking.

I used to feed her boiled turkey, chicken, lean beef and different veggies. No potatoes or rice. She did so well on that for years and her weight was perfect.
Now since I've switched her to dry food she put more weight on even though I only feed her 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. If i went back to home cooking for her I don't even know how much to feed her now because she a bit heavier.
Lily was the same way she hardly ever drank water. So I thought that was the problem. I will try the ACV. Just put in her water?
And yea stupid me....they sold me on their RC brand. I thought I was helping her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I used to feed her boiled turkey, chicken, lean beef and different veggies. No potatoes or rice. She did so well on that for years and her weight was perfect.
Now since I've switched her to dry food she put more weight on even though I only feed her 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. If i went back to home cooking for her I don't even know how much to feed her now because she a bit heavier.
Lily was the same way she hardly ever drank water. So I thought that was the problem. I will try the ACV. Just put in her water?
And yea stupid me....they sold me on their RC brand. I thought I was helping her.

First of all donā€™t blame yourself. We tend to trust our vets in what they say and sadly ā€œsometimes ā€œ we get a vet that thinks of money instead of the well being of our pets. Itā€™s hard to find the perfect vet nowadays. Like doctors. Anyhooooo....

Yes ACV goes in the water. Start small like half a cap. Also how old is your dog n his weight? If you had no issues on home cooking, simply go back to it. But need to know the age n weight as protein goes by the weight of the dog. Rule of thumb...
ā€œdogs require 2 grams of high quality animal protein per kilogram of body weight per day.ā€ Kilo, gr, ml is the same. Only the decimal point moves. Also I would use one protein per bag n not mix beef chicken turkey all together. Gives you more control if any allergies. Also needs one multi vitamin per day since itā€™s cooked. Normal vitamin like centrum n not for 50yrs n over etc..just regular one. Also semi cook veggies to keep all nutrients in them.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
First of all donā€™t blame yourself. We tend to trust our vets in what they say and sadly ā€œsometimes ā€œ we get a vet that thinks of money instead of the well being of our pets. Itā€™s hard to find the perfect vet nowadays. Like doctors. Anyhooooo....

Yes ACV goes in the water. Start small like half a cap. Also how old is your dog n his weight? If you had no issues on home cooking, simply go back to it. But need to know the age n weight as protein goes by the weight of the dog. Rule of thumb...
ā€œdogs require 2 grams of high quality animal protein per kilogram of body weight per day.ā€ Kilo, gr, ml is the same. Only the decimal point moves. Also I would use one protein per bag n not mix beef chicken turkey all together. Gives you more control if any allergies. Also needs one multi vitamin per day since itā€™s cooked. Normal vitamin like centrum n not for 50yrs n over etc..just regular one. Also semi cook veggies to keep all nutrients in them.

She's 7 years old and suppose to be around 40lbs but right now shes 47lb. I used to give her 3/4 cup 2 times a day. But she needs to lose weight so how much do you think I should feed her now?
Thank you so much for all this great info!! I will do the ACV and I will get a multi vitamin as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She's 7 years old and suppose to be around 40lbs but right now shes 47lb. I used to give her 3/4 cup 2 times a day. But she needs to lose weight so how much do you think I should feed her now?
Thank you so much for all this great info!! I will do the ACV and I will get a multi vitamin as well.

47lbs? Thatā€™s not fat for an EB. Ok, donā€™t put her on a diet especially being 7yr old dog. I wouldnā€™t toy around for a 5lb overweight cause when you feed any dog home cooking or raw, their bodies will automatically go lean n itā€™s own. Simply go back to what always worked for her. So that being said.....

47lb dog x 2gr for every lb = 94gr. Letā€™s round it up too 100gr which is 2/3 of a cup of meat.

Donā€™t break your head use a measuring cup (the 1cup), fill it but donā€™t pack it in and put the meat at the bottom of your medium ziplock bag (tap it down) then top with 3cups of veggies n fill to the top with your broth. One ziplock bag is equal to 2meals. So one bag per day. I would make enough bags to last me a month n freeze them. Again she wonā€™t drink much cause of the broth n all the moisture in the food. :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.