Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey šŸ’” Daphne and Bruce
Please someone give us advice.
We are in a terrible state over the loss of our beautiful Joey.
He developed a cherry eye last week and (franchise) vet advised he needed op. We didn't get a chance to try massage as it all seemed so urgent according to the vet.
He apparently had an allergic reaction to anaesthetic!! But when we went to see him the vet nurse said they damaged his throat pushing the tube down!! This of course was alter denied and we have been trying to find answers.
He is still in cold storage until we can find a vet to do an autopsy.
Please help if you can. Do we let go or find justice for our Joey before someone else goes through this agony?
:begging:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He developed a cherry eye last week and (franchise) vet advised he needed op. We didn't get a chance to try massage as it all seemed so urgent according to the vet.
He apparently had an allergic reaction to anaesthetic!! But when we went to see him the vet nurse said they damaged his throat pushing the tube down!! This of course was alter denied and we have been trying to find answers.
Please help if you can. Do we let go or find justice for our Joey before someone else goes through this agony?

Omg Iā€™m so so sorry. 14 week old shouldnā€™t even be an emergency to operate a cherry eye. I personally would demand everything in writing, signed and do the autopsy elsewhere. There was absolutely no rush for a cherry eye. Dogs could live with cherry eyes. IMO that was a money grab. Bare in mind this will cost money but to stop this money grab vet, I would definitely do it. Any dog can have a reaction towards anaesthetic, but need to operate ASAP for a simple cherry eye?!?!? No. Absolutely not.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your quick reply!
It is my daughter and SIL puppy. None of us had the experience to know what was best for him we just followed and trusted the practice!
It was a money grab defo. It was booked in 2 days after his eyelid popped. Oh how I wish we had massaged it and not listened to them.
We have tried to get an autopsy but no vet will do one "if it's against another vet"....exact words! Nobody will help. And we could send him to a Vet college for one but it must be from the referring vet!! The one that killed him!! We don't want money, we want answers so very desperately as we are devastated. Never thought we could love an animal so much. He was just wonderful! He was my new grandson too!
I will try upload a picture x

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Omg Iā€™m so so sorry. 14 week old shouldnā€™t even be an emergency to operate a cherry eye. I personally would demand everything in writing, signed and do the autopsy elsewhere. There was absolutely no rush for a cherry eye. Dogs could live with cherry eyes. IMO that was a money grab. Bare in mind this will cost money but to stop this money grab vet, I would definitely do it. Any dog can have a reaction towards anaesthetic, but need to operate ASAP for a simple cherry eye?!?!? No. Absolutely not.
It is my daughter and SIL puppy. None of us had the experience to know what was best for him we just followed and trusted the practice!
It was a money grab defo. It was booked in 2 days after his eyelid popped. Oh how I wish we had massaged it and not listened to them.
We have tried to get an autopsy but no vet will do one "if it's against another vet"....exact words! Nobody will help. And we could send him to a Vet college for one but it must be from the referring vet!! The one that killed him!! We don't want money, we want answers so very desperately as we are devastated. Never thought we could love an animal so much. He was just wonderful! He was my new grandson too!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I donā€™t know the laws in UK but I donā€™t understand why you canā€™t bring him to a vet school without a referral to determine what happened.

This is NOT your fault whatsoever. Please donā€™t blame yourself. You trusted this vet and I can guarantee you wouldnā€™t be the first one either.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] whoā€™s the other member in UK? Maybe they can help? Idk.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=18846]Wendy Anne[/MENTION] I am so sorry for your loss. I would have throat punched that idiot vet, and then sued them. You don't do surgery on a 14 week old pup for cherry eye. What a total idiot that vet is. I am totally pissed, and so sorry for your loss. Your baby deserved better than that.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=18846]Wendy Anne[/MENTION] I am so sorry for your loss. I would have throat punched that idiot vet, and then sued them. You don't do surgery on a 14 week old pup for cherry eye. What a total idiot that vet is. I am totally pissed, and so sorry for your loss. Your baby deserved better than that.

Thanks for your reply! Yes I know we have felt like it. So much bullshit the manager gave us! Couldn't give an answer to 'Did the benefits outweigh the risks?' All she said was 'Well he could have lost his eye'... He lost his life!!! This is unbearable. Wish I'd asked on here first!! We just didn't know :( we just want our baby back

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Could lose his eye from a cherry eye?!?!? Man your post really hits me how many more and more incompetent vets that are out there handling our pets.

Again NOT your fault. :no:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Disgusting! So sorry for your loss. What a shame. I would try to bully this vet a bit that you will write non-stop negative reviews on him. And I would try to get money from him.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=18846]Wendy Anne[/MENTION] I am so very very sorry for the loss of you daughterā€™s pup! How tragic! I pray that you find answers and comfort!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO very sorry to read this post... my heart truly breaks for you!!! Unfortunately some vets are ONLY in it for the money, and don't care about the aftermath of what can/does happen... they push surgery on their patients when it is unnecessary.

I want you to know that I have lost TWO of my bulldogs to routine surgeries... my Winston had just turned a YEAR old when he died during a routine eye surgery. I took him to a veterinary optometry clinic, thinking that they would be equipped to handle an emergency and he aspirated and died about 30 min after the surgery. I was literally numb after they told me he was gone... it was horrible!!! I know firsthand how it feels... and I'm so sorry...

If I were you I would have a necropsy done on your baby to find the EXACT cause of death, IF they damaged his throat trying to intubate him I would SUE THEM!!!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
But can they refuse you to give a prescription for autopsy? What I would do, I would go there and require a autopsy prescription from your vet, if clinic wants it. Iā€™m sure they canā€™t refuse by the law.
If they refuse, I would threaten them that I will complain.
May be then, they either give you autopsy prescription, or, what I think is more probable, they will suggest you some reimbursement. It is often that doctors are scared of investigation and will rather settle the problem, because for them paying some money is easier than reputational losses.
Nothing will ease your pain and trauma of loss, but at least you will have some money back.
Tell them that you know that this eye surgery on such a tiny bulldog wasnā€™t urgent, they could use antibiotic and hormones eyedrops to reduce swelling and push it back. My dog is 3 yo and lives with cherry eye happily.
Be strong and push them a bit.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
But can they refuse you to give a prescription for autopsy? What I would do, I would go there and require a autopsy prescription from your vet, if clinic wants it. Iā€™m sure they canā€™t refuse by the law.
If they refuse, I would threaten them that I will complain.
May be then, they either give you autopsy prescription, or, what I think is more probable, they will suggest you some reimbursement. It is often that doctors are scared of investigation and will rather settle the problem, because for them paying some money is easier than reputational losses.
Nothing will ease your pain and trauma of loss, but at least you will have some money back.
Tell them that you know that this eye surgery on such a tiny bulldog wasnā€™t urgent, they could use antibiotic and hormones eyedrops to reduce swelling and push it back. My dog is 3 yo and lives with cherry eye happily.
Be strong and push them a bit.

We aren't interested in the money and we had pet insurance. It's just the sheer lack of compassion and lies behind this! It was actually the vet not the nurse that said they had damaged his throat!
The only necropsy we can get is in edinburgh and we don't think we will get the answers because we think they are all in it together! This practice manager said she would arrange it but wants Ā£500 up front and we don't want to give them any more of our money! Their fault so shouldn't they pay?? He is due for cremation tomorrow :( I think we should let him go and go to press! We read others have done this. We will remain factual because they'll end up sueing us!
It also transpired my daughter asked them to check his other eye and without examination they said okay we will do both today for Ā£650 !!! Wtf??? Proof they are not bothered about the stress they've put on us and our Joey. Is this vet lark actually regulated?? Sorry we are just so angry and hurt.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
First of all, I want to give you my condolences,and many prayers for you and your family. I have lost loved ones, human,equine, and canine. It is devestating,no matter.
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this, due to a greedy and incompetent "doctor".
You want to get a medical report. You want to know the anesthetic they used, and the procedure. Many people who know dogs, know that cherry eye, is certainly NOT an emergency! I know UK loves their animals, and there must be someone,or an association that you can contact,who would be willing to help. This vet(ha) is a total idiot, and should be reported. Do you have an animal welfare group, or similar? I would be calling anyone I could think of, to stop this person before he kills someone else's beloved pet. If you have to, if they will not co operate, call the The Sun, Daily mail, etc. threaten the vet with the story, until you get co operation! I am truly sorry that you have to go through this nightmare. :pray:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

I am so sorry to hear you have had to go through this. It sounds very odd to perform such surgery on a little pup. I'm not sure this is the right place, but have a look at this link to see if it offers some info on how to proceed. It seems like the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is the place to turn to, being the regulatory body for UK vets:
https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/concerns/i-want-to-raise-a-concern-about-a-veterinary-surgeon/

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.