Help Needed! Wally’s allergy testing results...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got these from the vet, and I haven’t had a chance to talk to her yet. Obviously the proteins are a given, but I’m concerned about the other food ingredients.

We did talk about giving him shots for his outside allergens. I’m not sure what she is going to advice given his numbers...

Experts if you want to weigh in please do, if you noticed on his b-day pics his eyes are always red & goopy. I don’t want him to be miserable [emoji20]
dacb094c3908f4e67e0f450c20cf88ee.jpg
4ed4215d534e2f0a48e4ce147a97e33b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is allergic to people!!!! Just like me... lol

Ok so what are you feeding now— I forget?

Cytopoint is amazing for Lambeau with his long list of environmental it has really made a difference... not 100%, but definitely better

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He’s actually doing very good. Mostly all zeros, a few number 2 which is low according to the report n three #3 which are the ones you would need to address. Allergic to fleas, well who isn’t lol, wheat n a specific dust mite. For Fleas as you know use a couple drops of lavender on the collar but it’s winter season so doubt you’ll have flea issues. For the #2s check your kibbles if there’s eggs in it and yes of course wheat in any form. Or just go raw. I personally wouldn’t give any shots as 2s are all in the low levels. Simply try to avoid whatever has a number. Chicken, turkey, salmon which includes all fish oils if I were you and I’m pretty sure the grass n trees you probably don’t have them all in your backyard. If it’s the neighbor, go cut his tree down :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He is allergic to people!!!! Just like me... lol

Ok so what are you feeding now— I forget?

Cytopoint is amazing for Lambeau with his long list of environmental it has really made a difference... not 100%, but definitely better

Right now I'm feeding him Fromm's Beef Fritata and Fromm's Pork & Applesauce w/a trial of the ZIGNATURE pork thrown in. ONLY grain free beef treats... and I obviously need to look into the ingredients in those. Other than that, just normal fruits and veggies as snacks.

He is getting the Cytopoint injections every month...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He’s actually doing very good. Mostly all zeros, a few number 2 which is low according to the report n three #3 which are the ones you would need to address. Allergic to fleas, well who isn’t lol, wheat n a specific dust mite. For Fleas as you know use a couple drops of lavender on the collar but it’s winter season so doubt you’ll have flea issues. For the #2s check your kibbles if there’s eggs in it and yes of course wheat in any form. Or just go raw. I personally wouldn’t give any shots as 2s are all in the low levels. Simply try to avoid whatever has a number. Chicken, turkey, salmon which includes all fish oils if I were you and I’m pretty sure the grass n trees you probably don’t have them all in your backyard. If it’s the neighbor, go cut his tree down :)

Helene, that is exactly what I thought... I figured his numbers would be OFF the charts!!! The fleas and grasses really cracked me up... YEAH that's gonna be difficult to address. I had stopped giving him fish oil, because he did not fare well on any kibble w/salmon in it. The food I can handle, but I'm just not sure if soybeans are listed in the kibble he eats I have not checked.

I don't think he is a candidate for allergy shots either... maybe just continue on the Cytopoint, and keep an eye on his food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Helene, that is exactly what I thought... I figured his numbers would be OFF the charts!!! The fleas and grasses really cracked me up... YEAH that's gonna be difficult to address. I had stopped giving him fish oil, because he did not fare well on any kibble w/salmon in it. The food I can handle, but I'm just not sure if soybeans are listed in the kibble he eats I have not checked.

I don't think he is a candidate for allergy shots either... maybe just continue on the Cytopoint, and keep an eye on his food.

soybeans Isn’t even good for us. As you know I’m not a big fan of any shots. But heh that’s me. Cytopoint on long term is not good either. So again I personally wouldn’t give any shots as Wally isn’t doing so bad. Something in his food is probably triggering him. Must be in very fine print or that 85th ingredient on the bag lol... FYI... here’s a description of Cytopoint.

It includes corticosteroids, which have been around the longest, as well as Cytopoint, which gained FDA approval at the end of 2016. ... Side effects of corticosteroids are well known. They can be great at decreasing the inflammation associated with atopic dermatitis, but long-term treatment is not recommended. Jan 18, 2017

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
soybeans Isn’t even good for us. As you know I’m not a big fan of any shots. But heh that’s me. Cytopoint on long term is not good either. So again I personally wouldn’t give any shots as Wally isn’t doing so bad. Something in his food is probably triggering him. Must be in very fine print or that 85th ingredient on the bag lol... FYI... here’s a description of Cytopoint.

It includes corticosteroids, which have been around the longest, as well as Cytopoint, which gained FDA approval at the end of 2016. ... Side effects of corticosteroids are well known. They can be great at decreasing the inflammation associated with atopic dermatitis, but long-term treatment is not recommended. Jan 18, 2017

UGH... this is SO frustrating!!! :hissycry:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
UGH... this is SO frustrating!!! :hissycry:

I know...it’s one of them.... damm you do n damm you don’t. What you’re feeding him isn’t on the list so that’s one good thing off the list. For his red n goopy eyes was he checked for conjunctivitis?

Side effects of oral corticosteroids used on a long-term basis (longer than three months) include:
osteoporosis (fragile bones),
hypertension (high blood pressure),
diabetes,
weight gain,
increased vulnerability to infection,
cataracts and glaucoma (eye disorders),
thinning of the skin,
bruising easily, and.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know...it’s one of them.... damm you do n damm you don’t. What you’re feeding him isn’t on the list so that’s one good thing off the list. For his red n goopy eyes was he checked for conjunctivitis?

Side effects of oral corticosteroids used on a long-term basis (longer than three months) include:
osteoporosis (fragile bones),
hypertension (high blood pressure),
diabetes,
weight gain,
increased vulnerability to infection,
cataracts and glaucoma (eye disorders),
thinning of the skin,
bruising easily, and.

She has seen his eyes looking super red before, but she always attributed them to allergies...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She has seen his eyes looking super red before, but she always attributed them to allergies...

If the eye is consist red n goopy for months, Ask her about conjunctivitis. Just a thought.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If the eye is consist red n goopy for months, Ask her about conjunctivitis. Just a thought.

I will... Thanks Helene, I appreciate your input so much!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey guys... just wanted to give you an update on Wallygator

The vet is going to call the clinic in CA for a consultation... because frankly, his numbers at this point do NOT indicate the need for allergy injections. I have been giving him Xyzal religiously in the evenings, and that has really helped w/his goopy eyes... his food I'm keeping the same right now until spring break is over. The only real issue I have right now is that he is almost completely bald on his flanks from the seasonal alopecia, luckily he had dark skin underneath so it's not as noticeable...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey guys... just wanted to give you an update on Wallygator

The vet is going to call the clinic in CA for a consultation... because frankly, his numbers at this point do NOT indicate the need for allergy injections. I have been giving him Xyzal religiously in the evenings, and that has really helped w/his goopy eyes... his food I'm keeping the same right now until spring break is over. The only real issue I have right now is that he is almost completely bald on his flanks from the seasonal alopecia, luckily he had dark skin underneath so it's not as noticeable...

Fish oil helped with a Lambeau fur loss, but it was resolved once on raw

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fish oil helped with a Lambeau fur loss, but it was resolved once on raw

I can't give Wally fish oil anymore... but I'm going to give the raw patties a try once I get home.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Keep in mind that Red Cedar is in the Juniper family. Allergies may extend to eastern, western, and aromatic cedar as well as White Cedars, Junipers. Cypress, Spruce, and Fir trees may also be problematic.
Could it be that he's got a little dry-eye going on...or entropion...and that's contributing to the red, weepy eyes?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.