Will & Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ally, Hank, Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

Question Anal gland removal

Hello,
    My vet has recommended that my 10 year old female bulldog have her right anal gland removed. After 2 courses of antibiotics and an incision to drain it, the infection is still there. My vet says the gland is hard and the size of a marble.
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this procedure done on their baby and if so, what was the outcome. Any specific questions I should ask my vet? Any tips or things I should take into consideration?
    Iím very nervous about the surgery given that everything I read indicates that it is a very delicate procedure, and that my baby girl is a senior pup.
    Thank you for any information you can provide.

Oh, also... anyone have any awesome vet recommendations in the Tucson AZ area???

~Anna

Love from Ally, Hank, and Charlotte!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anal gland removal

Only thing I can say is you definitely need a vet that’s done this surgery numerous times and not a newbie. I know of a couple dog owners their dogs still had infections and pain cause the glands weren’t completely removed properly as some bits were left....here’s a couple links that might help you out.

https://wagwalking.com/treatment/anal-sacculectomy

https://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/wh...urgery-in-dogs

3. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama, MrMrsDevilDoc liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I know several people who had this done to their pups, and it made a world of difference... my Wally had a horrible anal gland infection that ruptured, it was an absolute mess!!! Instead of the surgery, we just have his anals cleaned on a regular basis, but to this day he will still growl at his butt. It's SO weird... Lol

My issue w/it is her age... is it really necessary to have this done on a 10 year old bulldog? IMO I would not do it... is there any other options besides the surgery?!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Will & Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ally, Hank, Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the links... I'll check them out.

Yes, from everything I've read I need to be sure the vet has experience performing this particular procedure.

6. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Will & Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ally, Hank, Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

Yes, her age is my biggest concern as well. Actually, that's a lie.... there's so much about this that concerns me!!!

Since the 2 rounds of antibiotics haven't helped the vet says this is the next step. Since the gland has grown in size since the last check a month ago and nothing can be expressed, it must mean that the gland has a tumor or is full of scar tissue so removal is the only option now. She said if the gland stays in the infection will not go away.

The strangest thing about this whole thing to me is that up until now, she has never ever had issues with her anal glands. We never had to express them and she never had any infections... my other 2 bullies need regular expressing. I'm so torn about this whole thing....

8. Likes ddnene, helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

~ARIZONA~

Valley Animal Hospital
    Dr. Warfield
    Tucson, AZ
    520-748-0331
    www.tucsonvalleyanimalhospital.com

Christo Veterinary Services
    Mobile Vet- Housecalls
    Dr. Christo
    Tucson, AZ
    520-877-9874
    www.christovet.com

Anderson Animal Clinic
    Dr. Anderson
    Mesa, AZ
    480-838-3682
    www.andersonanimalclinc.com

Banfield Pet Hospital
    Mesa, AZ 85204-6611
    480-632-2391

Eastside Animal Hospital
    Dr. Dan Bramley
    Mesa, AZ
    480-834-0536

White Tanks Animal Hospital
    Dr. Rollins & Dr. Satkus
    Surprise, AZ
    623-537-5559
    www.whitetansah.com

Alma School Animal Hospital
    Dr. Cindy Junger
    Mesa, AZ
    480-838-9117

Westridge Animal Hospital
    Dr. Peterson
    Phoenix, AZ 85033
    623-846-5635

Ingelside Vet Services LLC
    Dr. Serbin
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    602-840-3446
    www.ingelside.com

Squaw Peak Animal Hospital
    3141 E Lincoln Dr
    Phoenix, AZ 85016
    602-553-8855

Old Pueblo Veterinary Clinic
    Dr. Ferguson
    Tucson AZ
    520-887-5571

KC Animal Hospital
    Dr. Daniel Pirotte
    Scottsdale, AZ If surgery is necessary, it is very important that your Vet. knows EBD's and their needs and aneasthia (sp) If you trust your Dr. and feel he will do the best for your baby. If it can not be drained, and she is in pain, it seems there is not choice.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrsDevilDoc View Post
    Yes, her age is my biggest concern as well. Actually, that's a lie.... there's so much about this that concerns me!!!

Since the 2 rounds of antibiotics haven't helped the vet says this is the next step. Since the gland has grown in size since the last check a month ago and nothing can be expressed, it must mean that the gland has a tumor or is full of scar tissue so removal is the only option now. She said if the gland stays in the infection will not go away.

The strangest thing about this whole thing to me is that up until now, she has never ever had issues with her anal glands. We never had to express them and she never had any infections... my other 2 bullies need regular expressing. I'm so torn about this whole thing....
    OH GOSH... I'm so sorry!!! Sounds as if you have very little options, I'm going to tag some members to see if they can advice...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

12. Likes MrMrsDevilDoc liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrsDevilDoc View Post

UGH ---- I have no experience, but totally understand your hesitation. Sending your baby girl lots of positive thoughts and healing prayers. Please keep us posted on how everything turns out
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

14. Likes MrMrsDevilDoc liked this post
    Real Name
    Will & Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ally, Hank, Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

Thank you.... we will certainly take ALL the prayers and positivity anyone can spare.
    I have put a call into my vet expressing my concerns and questions, and they were very kind and understanding. The woman I spoke with said she will have the vet call me to discuss anything I may have questions about. That made me feel better.... I donít want to be that insane pet parent but also donít want to be fearful to discuss these very real and valid concerns that I have.
    Thanks for listening my fellow bulldog parents, I really appreciate it.

16. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We've done a couple...it's rare. We would only consider doing this on a dog that is otherwise in very good health...regardless of age. IMO, a big concern would be the formation of a perianal fistula. If the the infection is persistent, something needs to be done. If you trust your Vet, following his recommendation is advised.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

18. Likes MrMrsDevilDoc, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Will & Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ally, Hank, Charlotte
    Likes (Received)

She is very healthy otherwise, so I feel pretty good about that part. I have read about the fistulas you wrote about, thatís a concern for sure.

I did call my veterinarianís office today and they had the doctor call me back. I had made a list of questions so that I wouldnít forget anything and she answered all of them. I expressed my concerns regarding Allyís age and breed, and she explained exactly how they will administer the anesthesia and that someone will be monitoring her constantly. She was very patient and reassuring and I cannot even express just how much peace I have now! I realize there are risks involved, but my mind is a lot more at ease right now.

I havenít scheduled the surgery just yet, but will probably do so tomorrow. Thank you everyone....

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Please keep us posted

21. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post