MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Hello,
My vet has recommended that my 10 year old female bulldog have her right anal gland removed. After 2 courses of antibiotics and an incision to drain it, the infection is still there. My vet says the gland is hard and the size of a marble.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this procedure done on their baby and if so, what was the outcome. Any specific questions I should ask my vet? Any tips or things I should take into consideration?
Iā€™m very nervous about the surgery given that everything I read indicates that it is a very delicate procedure, and that my baby girl is a senior pup.
Thank you for any information you can provide.

Oh, also... anyone have any awesome vet recommendations in the Tucson AZ area???

~Anna

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know several people who had this done to their pups, and it made a world of difference... my Wally had a horrible anal gland infection that ruptured, it was an absolute mess!!! Instead of the surgery, we just have his anals cleaned on a regular basis, but to this day he will still growl at his butt. It's SO weird... Lol

My issue w/it is her age... is it really necessary to have this done on a 10 year old bulldog? IMO I would not do it... is there any other options besides the surgery?!!

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thank you for the links... I'll check them out. :)

Yes, from everything I've read I need to be sure the vet has experience performing this particular procedure.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Yes, her age is my biggest concern as well. Actually, that's a lie.... there's so much about this that concerns me!!!

Since the 2 rounds of antibiotics haven't helped the vet says this is the next step. Since the gland has grown in size since the last check a month ago and nothing can be expressed, it must mean that the gland has a tumor or is full of scar tissue so removal is the only option now. She said if the gland stays in the infection will not go away. :(

The strangest thing about this whole thing to me is that up until now, she has never ever had issues with her anal glands. We never had to express them and she never had any infections... my other 2 bullies need regular expressing. I'm so torn about this whole thing....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
~ARIZONA~

Valley Animal Hospital
Dr. Warfield
Tucson, AZ
520-748-0331
www.tucsonvalleyanimalhospital.com

Christo Veterinary Services
Mobile Vet- Housecalls
Dr. Christo
Tucson, AZ
520-877-9874
www.christovet.com

Anderson Animal Clinic
Dr. Anderson
Mesa, AZ
480-838-3682
www.andersonanimalclinc.com

Banfield Pet Hospital
Mesa, AZ 85204-6611
480-632-2391

Eastside Animal Hospital
Dr. Dan Bramley
Mesa, AZ
480-834-0536

White Tanks Animal Hospital
Dr. Rollins & Dr. Satkus
Surprise, AZ
623-537-5559
www.whitetansah.com

Alma School Animal Hospital
Dr. Cindy Junger
Mesa, AZ
480-838-9117

Westridge Animal Hospital
Dr. Peterson
Phoenix, AZ 85033
623-846-5635

Ingelside Vet Services LLC
Dr. Serbin
Phoenix, AZ 85018
602-840-3446
www.ingelside.com

Squaw Peak Animal Hospital
3141 E Lincoln Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85016
602-553-8855

Old Pueblo Veterinary Clinic
Dr. Ferguson
Tucson AZ
520-887-5571

KC Animal Hospital
Dr. Daniel Pirotte
Scottsdale, AZ If surgery is necessary, it is very important that your Vet. knows EBD's and their needs and aneasthia (sp) If you trust your Dr. and feel he will do the best for your baby. If it can not be drained, and she is in pain, it seems there is not choice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yes, her age is my biggest concern as well. Actually, that's a lie.... there's so much about this that concerns me!!!

Since the 2 rounds of antibiotics haven't helped the vet says this is the next step. Since the gland has grown in size since the last check a month ago and nothing can be expressed, it must mean that the gland has a tumor or is full of scar tissue so removal is the only option now. She said if the gland stays in the infection will not go away. :(

The strangest thing about this whole thing to me is that up until now, she has never ever had issues with her anal glands. We never had to express them and she never had any infections... my other 2 bullies need regular expressing. I'm so torn about this whole thing....

OH GOSH... I'm so sorry!!! Sounds as if you have very little options, I'm going to tag some members to see if they can advice...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

UGH ---- I have no experience, but totally understand your hesitation. Sending your baby girl lots of positive thoughts and healing prayers. Please keep us posted on how everything turns out

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thank you.... we will certainly take ALL the prayers and positivity anyone can spare.
I have put a call into my vet expressing my concerns and questions, and they were very kind and understanding. The woman I spoke with said she will have the vet call me to discuss anything I may have questions about. That made me feel better.... I donā€™t want to be that insane pet parent but also donā€™t want to be fearful to discuss these very real and valid concerns that I have.
Thanks for listening my fellow bulldog parents, I really appreciate it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We've done a couple...it's rare. We would only consider doing this on a dog that is otherwise in very good health...regardless of age. IMO, a big concern would be the formation of a perianal fistula. If the the infection is persistent, something needs to be done. If you trust your Vet, following his recommendation is advised.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
She is very healthy otherwise, so I feel pretty good about that part. I have read about the fistulas you wrote about, thatā€™s a concern for sure.

I did call my veterinarianā€™s office today and they had the doctor call me back. I had made a list of questions so that I wouldnā€™t forget anything and she answered all of them. I expressed my concerns regarding Allyā€™s age and breed, and she explained exactly how they will administer the anesthesia and that someone will be monitoring her constantly. She was very patient and reassuring and I cannot even express just how much peace I have now! I realize there are risks involved, but my mind is a lot more at ease right now.

I havenā€™t scheduled the surgery just yet, but will probably do so tomorrow. Thank you everyone....

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Good luck to you and your little girl. I hope her recovery is quick and the surgery a success.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thank you everyone.... Iā€™ve scheduled the surgery for Monday. I have to have her there at 7am and will be able to go pick her up that afternoon. I plan on staying at the clinic until the surgery is actually over, about an hour they say.

Iā€™ll post an update Monday.

Prayers Monday morning for Miss Ally Mae (and her anxious momma!) would be wonderful. [emoji3526]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone.... Iā€™ve scheduled the surgery for Monday. I have to have her there at 7am and will be able to go pick her up that afternoon. I plan on staying at the clinic until the surgery is actually over, about an hour they say.

Iā€™ll post an update Monday.

Prayers Monday morning for Miss Ally Mae (and her anxious momma!) would be wonderful. [emoji3526]

Tons of prayers and positive thoughts!,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online