Dudley not eating or drinking after surgery

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
As the title says, Dudley is not eating or drinking after his Kidney stone removal operation on Thursday. I have already read a lot on line and know this is quite common and the vet said give it a couple of days and see how he is.

So I just wondered if any of you guys have been through similar with your Bullyā€™s? And how long did it take to start to get back to normal?

We have managed to get a little bit of wet meat down him but had to hand feed him and we have tried every single one of his absolute favourite foods. I bought a full joint of Pork and have boiled it to make broth to try and get some liquid in him.

Itā€™s really hard because of the nature of his operation itā€™s making him feel like he needs to pee a lot more but he isnā€™t taking in the fluids to allow him to go properly.

Any suggestions or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Simon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you tried giving him some ice cream? He may have a sore throat from the tube down his throat, and ice cream would feel good.not many refuse i.c. (not me!)
Sending prayer for him to feel better real soon! :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... try ice cream or ice chips too... bone broth is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Dudley. Ice cream sounds like a good suggestion. Perhaps you can freeze some of the broth to see if he wants to lick the ice broth?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would be very nervous about not drinking. Eating is not so crucial. Does he wee? Anyway, donā€™t push with food, but try to squeeze water in him. Use ice cubes, when Tank wasnā€™t eating and drinking being very sick, I put an ice cube behind his cheek, and despite he tried to spit it out I was very insistent. Took me hours during the day. But I was very persistent. Freeze broth too.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Does he still his IV port in his paw? Discuss with vet intravenous liquids. And monitor his urine. He must produce some urine. If he is not, call vet.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the ideas, really appreciate it! Never thought about ice cream may give it a go but tricky with his allergies. He is producing urine but it was getting more and more concentrated and to the point where it had blood in it which is when we rang the vets to check but was told it was normal but monitor it.
He has managed some scrambled eggs and some wet pork this evening which was good and I have frozen some stock as suggested and will try him with that tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone

Simon

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would say try some bone broth as well. And wet food has moisture in it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
VERY normal to have some blood in the urine again... I agree w/the others, fluid is more important at this point. Bone broth, ice chips, whatever he seems interested in... he will eat when he feels up to it.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley update, after trying absolutely everything! to get Duds to eat or drink (and i mean everything! including everything suggested on the forum) nothing had worked for Four days and he is due back at the vets tomorrow morning and we were preparing ourselves that we might be leaving him there for him to go on a drip again. He decided to take himself of in to the kitchen eat a full bowl of his usual meat and have a massive drink! :D he then had a little more about an hour later and has just had another big drink before he has gone to sleep on the airbed with his MUCH MUCH happier mum!

Keep you all posted but hopefully :pray: he will start to improve from now on.

Thanks again for all the help and well wishes everyone.

Simon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dudley update, after trying absolutely everything! to get Duds to eat or drink (and i mean everything! including everything suggested on the forum) nothing had worked for Four days and he is due back at the vets tomorrow morning and we were preparing ourselves that we might be leaving him there for him to go on a drip again. He decided to take himself of in to the kitchen eat a full bowl of his usual meat and have a massive drink! :D he then had a little more about an hour later and has just had another big drink before he has gone to sleep on the airbed with his MUCH MUCH happier mum!

Keep you all posted but hopefully :pray: he will start to improve from now on.

Thanks again for all the help and well wishes everyone.

Simon.

Fantastic!! Yeah, Dudley!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I wish I had seen this thread earlier...
It's very common for dogs not to eat for several days after lengthy surgery. The whole digestive tract goes to sleep and takes much longer to wake up than the rest of the body. Four days is a bit extreme but not unheard of. Now that he's eating, don't be surprised if it takes a few more days for him to pass normal stool. I'd bet by Wednesday, he's at 95% back to his normal self. GOOD LUCK, Dudz!

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish I had seen this thread earlier...
It's very common for dogs not to eat for several days after lengthy surgery. The whole digestive tract goes to sleep and takes much longer to wake up than the rest of the body. Four days is a bit extreme but not unheard of. Now that he's eating, don't be surprised if it takes a few more days for him to pass normal stool. I'd bet by Wednesday, he's at 95% back to his normal self. GOOD LUCK, Dudz!

Thanks for the info :) heā€™s had more food again today and another good two drinks, took him to the vets for his check up and he went potty! He likes the vets because he gets fussed but he seemed even more giddy than normal but it was really nice to see him acting more like himself.

Hopefully as you say he will be well on the mend later this week, then just another 6 weeks of cruciate surgery recovery :D

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
I would suggest also looking into low oxalate foods because they cause Kidney stones. All the very best to you.

Yes, we have to wait until the results come back about what type of kidney stones he had, then we will be altering his diet accordingly which will be fun ,considering the limited amount of foods he can already have due to allergies !:(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.