Help Needed! Allergies at 16 weeks

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Poppy went to the vet today for her 16 week check up. In the past, I posted she has been experiencing dry scaly patches. This has continued for the last couple weeks and she now has one red inflamed patch on her head. I also think her flappy bits are a bit red. I also have been noticing that she stinks! All the time! I wipe her down with puppy wipes every day or so but the stink comes back every day! She also itches constantly. I told the vet about all this and she said it sounds like allergies and put her on an antibiotic and some allergy meds. The vet did say she doesnā€™t think this is food allergy related because her paws look wonderful but of course time will tell.

What should I be doing for Poppy to help her with this? I donā€™t want her on a lifetime or allergy drugs starting so young in life if we can help it!!! Here is what we are doing currently, let me know if you have any suggestions to add or modify!

Food: Fromm puppy heartland gold (grain free)

Supplemental food: 2 spoonfuls of plain yogurt, 1-2 spoonfuls of pumpkin, 1 spoonful of organic coconut oil.

Daily routine done at night: clean folds and tail pocket with witch hazel pads, apply boric acid solution to tear stains, apply squishface wrinkle cream to face folds, tail pocket, and her lady bits (she is hooded), wipe down with hypoallergenic wipes, massage coconut oil into coat

I just ordered duoxo chlorhexidine shampoo, nu-stock cream, and zesty paws allergy immune bites with fish oil and pre/probiotics in them since I figured she should probably have some of that anyway. Trying to be proactive since we have had these issues since we got her at 9 weeks and they seem to be getting worse!

f42160881a866a3c5f245c9641608e76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Supplemental food: 2 spoonfuls of plain yogurt, 1-2 spoonfuls of pumpkin, 1 spoonful of organic coconut oil, you give this daily?

Usually food allergies will start my licking paws or yeasty ears. But heh, it can happen itā€™s the food even if the paws n ears are clean. Now that Poppy is on meds, get some fermented sauerkraut instead. Itā€™s more powerful than yogurt. Give it till meds are done. Now supplements, you give it every other day at that age as they need to build their own immune system. Another thing to consider, beef ā€œcanā€ be intolerance like chicken. Keep an eye on that. Have you ever thought or dehydrated raw or simply frozen raw? Youā€™ll lose 3/4 of health issues. Or you can start replacing one meal with raw. Oh and this breed, they do tend to smell. It comes n goes. Also read the ingredients in your wipes.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Helene has got you started...
Did you have those patches scrapped to make sure it's not mites? I would insist on a scrape to make sure it's not something else...

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Helene has got you started...
Did you have those patches scrapped to make sure it's not mites? I would insist on a scrape to make sure it's not something else...

I didnā€™t get a scrape. Maybe I should go back and have her scrapped to be sure. We started the meds last night and nothing is happening yet of course.

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Supplemental food: 2 spoonfuls of plain yogurt, 1-2 spoonfuls of pumpkin, 1 spoonful of organic coconut oil, you give this daily?

Usually food allergies will start my licking paws or yeasty ears. But heh, it can happen itā€™s the food even if the paws n ears are clean. Now that Poppy is on meds, get some fermented sauerkraut instead. Itā€™s more powerful than yogurt. Give it till meds are done. Now supplements, you give it every other day at that age as they need to build their own immune system. Another thing to consider, beef ā€œcanā€ be intolerance like chicken. Keep an eye on that. Have you ever thought or dehydrated raw or simply frozen raw? Youā€™ll lose 3/4 of health issues. Or you can start replacing one meal with raw. Oh and this breed, they do tend to smell. It comes n goes. Also read the ingredients in your wipes.

I have been giving yogurt and pumpkin every other day and coconut oil daily. The coconut oil is the only way I can get her to sit and get her folds cleaned lol! Also have been using filtered water only. I will get some sauerkraut this weekend. Is it just in normal grocery stores?

I was concerned it could be a food thing. She gets freeze dried chicken or beef liver treats which could be allergenic. Her ears and paws are great. No yeast in the folds either. Just the dang crusty bits and all over itching. Makes me sad for her! The vet did say allergy testing is usually a good thing for the breed when she reaches maturity.

The supplements I bought I will do once every other day...I guess just up them when she reaches full maturity?

Thank you so much! You are always SO helpful to me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been giving yogurt and pumpkin every other day and coconut oil daily. The coconut oil is the only way I can get her to sit and get her folds cleaned lol! Also have been using filtered water only. I will get some sauerkraut this weekend. Is it just in normal grocery stores?

I was concerned it could be a food thing. She gets freeze dried chicken or beef liver treats which could be allergenic. Her ears and paws are great. No yeast in the folds either. Just the dang crusty bits and all over itching. Makes me sad for her! The vet did say allergy testing is usually a good thing for the breed when she reaches maturity.

The supplements I bought I will do once every other day...I guess just up them when she reaches full maturity?
Thank you so much! You are always SO helpful to me.

The fermented sauerkraut is usually at your health food store in the fridge section. If you go to a grocery store which Iā€™ve never seen it sitting on the shelves as those ones are not fermented. Anything fermented needs to be in a fridge. It should also state its fermented on the jar. I give like a tablespoon every other day in their meals as my 2 do eat raw and they do also get frozen tripe as a treat. Tripe is a very good probiotic (enzymes).

Eliminate those 2 treats as if she has an allergy to one (or both) you will not know which one. Also they can be the problem. Youā€™ll need to try one at a time but like in a month.

Supplements daily till ā€œMaturity?ā€ No. Iā€™ve been doing this for decades and imo I donā€™t believe dogs just like humans needs to supplement daily on regular basis. If you/pet eats a proper balance diet you donā€™t need supplements. Nowadays supplements are billions dollar industry. These makers are not dumb. People believe everything they see n hear. Sardinia Italy, Ikaria Greece n Japan live till theyā€™re 100 and trust me they ā€œdonā€™tā€ supplement as they all eat fresh n homemade. So yes always boils down to what youā€™re eating n keeping your flora/gut clean. Sauerkraut will keep the flora balanced and will avoid a lot of allergies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The fermented sauerkraut is usually at your health food store in the fridge section. If you go to a grocery store which Iā€™ve never seen it sitting on the shelves as those ones are not fermented. Anything fermented needs to be in a fridge. It should also state its fermented on the jar. I give like a tablespoon every other day in their meals as my 2 do eat raw and they do also get frozen tripe as a treat. Tripe is a very good probiotic (enzymes).

Eliminate those 2 treats as if she has an allergy to one (or both) you will not know which one. Also they can be the problem. Youā€™ll need to try one at a time but like in a month.

Supplements daily till ā€œMaturity?ā€ No. Iā€™ve been doing this for decades and imo I donā€™t believe dogs just like humans needs to supplement daily on regular basis. If you/pet eats a proper balance diet you donā€™t need supplements. Nowadays supplements are billions dollar industry. These makers are not dumb. People believe everything they see n hear. Sardinia Italy, Ikaria Greece n Japan live till theyā€™re 100 and trust me they ā€œdonā€™tā€ supplement as they all eat fresh n homemade. So yes always boils down to what youā€™re eating n keeping your flora/gut clean. Sauerkraut will keep the flora balanced and will avoid a lot of allergies.

I can usually find Bubbies at my regular grocery store:

Bubbies.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! The crew sure has you covered

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Really, not here in the little red neck town lol... so YES I guess you guys have it in a grocery.

Fridge side correct??

Yup...in the refrigerated section!

I have yet to try it but am always eyeing. My brother actually fermented some kraut and gave me a jar...omg...I practically ate it all at one time...not sharing it with the dogs lol. One of these days Iā€™ll try the Bubbies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yup...in the refrigerated section!

I have yet to try it but am always eyeing. My brother actually fermented some kraut and gave me a jar...omg...I practically ate it all at one time...not sharing it with the dogs lol. One of these days Iā€™ll try the Bubbies.

I like that brand. When I do a salad, I add a couple tablespoon as a topping. But why donā€™t you learn from your brother to make your own? My friend here, they make there own in big oak barrels. They put whole cabbages and the fermentation mix letā€™s it sit there. They always keep me a big jug of the juices I. The size of a milk jug n I have my shots in the morning. I still have a big cabbage left. Itā€™s in the freezer. Should take it out cause tonight I thought I still had some of Ms Bubbies. Noooo Ms Bubbies :( Lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just realized auto correct for other post put Bubbles lollll

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I like that brand. When I do a salad, I add a couple tablespoon as a topping. But why donā€™t you learn from your brother to make your own? My friend here, they make there own in big oak barrels. They put whole cabbages and the fermentation mix letā€™s it sit there. They always keep me a big jug of the juices I. The size of a milk jug n I have my shots in the morning. I still have a big cabbage left. Itā€™s in the freezer. Should take it out cause tonight I thought I still had some of Ms Bubbies. Noooo Ms Bubbies :( Lol

He sent me the instructions and oy...fermenting looks complicated. My head about exploded trying to follow along. I might stick to canning and pickling and then let him do all the fermenting lol. Okay, when I go shopping this weekend Iā€™m getting the Bubbies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He sent me the instructions and oy...fermenting looks complicated. My head about exploded trying to follow along. I might stick to canning and pickling and then let him do all the fermenting lol. Okay, when I go shopping this weekend Iā€™m getting the Bubbies.

In health food stores you can buy the fermentation mix. Example if you want to make your own kombucha, they sell the big jug with the mix inside in a pouch. Go check it out.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
In health food stores you can buy the fermentation mix. Example if you want to make your own kombucha, they sell the big jug with the mix inside in a pouch. Go check it out.

My brother makes his own kombucha too. The first time I seen it and the children or babies or whatever theyā€™re called were so creepy lol. I do like to drink ginger kombucha.

Most Reactions