Jay89777

Jan 15, 2019
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe Piggie Hernandez

Hello everyone, So my puppy Chloe is about to be 4 months and she is now showing cherry eye
from time to time. I say time to time because I catch soon enough to rub it back in. But I noticed
that it is now coming back more frequently mostly when she is playing and jumping around. I have
contacted my vet and they can do the operation. I wanted to get suggestions and feed back from those
who have gone or are going through this. Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hello everyone, So my puppy Chloe is about to be 4 months and she is now showing cherry eye
from time to time. I say time to time because I catch soon enough to rub it back in. But I noticed
that it is now coming back more frequently mostly when she is playing and jumping around. I have
contacted my vet and they can do the operation. I wanted to get suggestions and feed back from those
who have gone or are going through this. Thanks!

Hi there, and yes Nyala too when she was a pup n got excited it popped out. I had her cherry eye tucked when I got her fixed. So donā€™t waste your money and plus sheā€™ll go under 2x for no reason. Do that cherry eye tuck all in one shot n save your $$. Absolutely no need to do it now. A good vet will suggest you wait. Just a thought.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So many here have gone through this, but most tend to wait till they are over 6 months and if choosing to spay they get it done at the same time. i will tag a few with experience.

OP
J

Jay89777

Jan 15, 2019
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe Piggie Hernandez
I agree I asked a vet if I could do it all at once they said she would be down for to long
But I will ask other vets as well. I want to do it alll at once so that she only goes under once .
Howā€™s the recovery for the cherry eye whatā€™s the after care ?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree I asked a vet if I could do it all at once they said she would be down for to long
But I will ask other vets as well. I want to do it alll at once so that she only goes under once .
Howā€™s the recovery for the cherry eye whatā€™s the after care ?

I have no experience with cherry eye but it is not uncommon to do more than one procedure at a time to avoid going under multiple times.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My Tank is 3 yo and he has cherry eye from his 4 month. I never did surgery, we just massage it back when it pops out. Happens once a week or so when he plays too hard. So until it goes back into eye socket, no rush to do a surgery. You can wait until planned spay surgery (Of course if it swells and cannot be massaged back, itā€™s more urgent).

OP
J

Jay89777

Jan 15, 2019
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe Piggie Hernandez
Thanks for the feed back I will keep on massaging her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the feed back I will keep on massaging her.

A lot of vets will do a tuck which is one stitch. Nyala had it done. ā€œdown for to longā€ ? No itā€™s not as that was my first question to the vet. Itā€™s just a few extra minutes. My vets said itā€™s rare he does the whole removal of the cherry eye (gland). Itā€™s mostly tucks. :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Our MINI has had this problem since she was about 12 weeks old. At it's worst it would pop nearly every day, sometimes twice a day. We just push it back in and go. We expected to have it corrected when she was spayed but when that time came we didn't do it as it had become less and less of a problem. Our decision to wait was a good one because it rarely pops out anymore. I'm confident she will be just fine and never need surgery.
My advice is to keep pushing it back in and to wait until it's time for spaying to make this decision. Until then you can keep a log of how often it pops out. From that info you can create a graph which may show you a trend of improvement or worsening.
Pics please, we like Bulldog pics!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow had the surgery done, but we waited... we gave it a good 6 months and had it done w/her nares/pallet. She came thru like a champ, and we have never had a problem.

mzeman

Sep 11, 2019
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Dobby
I keep hearing that people just push it back in, but I have never been able to get it back in. He is 3 months old and and has had it for two weeks. Plan on getting it fixed when he get nuetered abut am worried that is still two months away.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I keep hearing that people just push it back in, but I have never been able to get it back in. He is 3 months old and and has had it for two weeks. Plan on getting it fixed when he get nuetered abut am worried that is still two months away.

Donā€™t worry it can wait. Check out some videos on YouTube. Some vets shows you how itā€™s done. When Nyala was a pup, I would push it in but when she would play or got excited, it would come right back out. Can work for some n not for others.

mmshelties

Sep 30, 2019
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sofie and Penny
So do you all think cherry eye is hereditary and or rough play? We have two and one I was able to massage back in and it stayed. We got a second puppy and she had both pop out,,, I was able to massage it in for a bit, but then it just would not stay in at all :((( These two would play so rough! Puppy Antics and all.... What do you all think ?

Have a Paw-Fect Day
Christine

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.