ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wallygator... Ugh!!!

AS most of you already know of my constant issues w/Wally... he had another ear infection last week, and yesterday when I was doing his weekly groom session I noticed he is LOSING his hair again on his flanks. AND he has another interdigital cyst on his paw. We have been going thru food trials... Earthborn he didn't want to eat, Acana I have done 2 of the limited ingredients bags (beef and pork) which he seemed ok with but obviously no real changes. My last effort is the Zignature pork, which I just bought a bag last week to start another trial.

I give him NuVet supplements, plain greek yogurt in the morning only, Herbsmith Microflora Plus... I need a recommendation on a good fish oil choice for him?!! @2BullyMama

He's still getting his cytopoint injections... we were trying to space them out a little since it's wintertime, I guess that was a bad idea.

I guess it's time to give the raw a try, can all of his issues be food related?!! I'm just hoping that I'm not missing something here...

OH I forgot to add I just bought some items from the Natural Dog Company... the wrinkle balm, snout & skin soother. Has anyone used their products?!! Wally was trying to lick everything off... Lol It all smelled really good, better than the other stuff I have been using. BTW his folds look fantastic, just his nose is getting rather crusty.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wallygator... Ugh!!!

AS most of you already know of my constant issues w/Wally... he had another ear infection last week, and yesterday when I was doing his weekly groom session I noticed he is LOSING his hair again on his flanks. AND he has another interdigital cyst on his paw. We have been going thru food trials... Earthborn he didn't want to eat, Acana I have done 2 of the limited ingredients bags (beef and pork) which he seemed ok with but obviously no real changes. My last effort is the Zignature pork, which I just bought a bag last week to start another trial.

I give him NuVet supplements, plain greek yogurt in the morning only, Herbsmith Microflora Plus... I need a recommendation on a good fish oil choice for him?!! @2BullyMama

He's still getting his cytopoint injections... we were trying to space them out a little since it's wintertime, I guess that was a bad idea.

I guess it's time to give the raw a try, can all of his issues be food related?!! I'm just hoping that I'm not missing something here...

OH I forgot to add I just bought some items from the Natural Dog Company... the wrinkle balm, snout & skin soother. Has anyone used their products?!! Wally was trying to lick everything off... Lol It all smelled really good, better than the other stuff I have been using. BTW his folds look fantastic, just his nose is getting rather crusty.

Duke also has a few interdigital cyst and heā€™s mostly on all raw. I doubt itā€™s the food the issue. So far heā€™s been eating raw turkey, then beef, then boar, fish and still have cyst. I know rabbit n fish barely or not at all give allergies issues. What Iā€™ve been doing n works is mix alun n peroxide. Alun is a spice youā€™ll find in your supermarket. Itā€™s that spice they put like in pickles which gives you that dry taste. I would mix one teaspoon of alun in 1/2cup of warm water which I boiled n use cotton swabs/pads to clean in between each paws where the cyst are. It basically dries them up. Then finish with the peroxide n put on his doggie socks so he doesnā€™t like. After a week, doing this morning n before bed time, you will see the cyst change colour n shrink. After a week and being very experimental person, I opt the water part and just put 1/2 a teaspoon of alun in 2oz of peroxide. Worked even faster as the burst. So you need to keep cleaning it especially when they burst or shrink. I do keep the socks on unless when he goes outside. Every dog is different. I know Duke has anxiety issues and most of his licking is due to that n not the food. Why heā€™s always on the go like a Jack Russell. Itā€™s a lot of extra work we donā€™t need but heh, it is what it is. Dogs with web feet are prone to do these cyst. Now my next step will be homeopathic remedy of Sulfur. That supposed to work even better. I just need to investigate more on it. Whatever you do, donā€™t bother with antibiotics for them cyst as itā€™s a 6-8 week treatment n the cyst DO come back. No point killing the immune system. Itā€™s simply just one of them things your hands are tied. You just need to work with it. Hereā€™s a great link but read the peopleā€™s comments below the article. I always find the people ā€˜s comments are the best way to learn different ways what worked for them.

Treating Canine Interdigital Cysts at Home | FrogDog Blog

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Duke also has a few interdigital cyst and heā€™s mostly on all raw. I doubt itā€™s the food the issue. So far heā€™s been eating raw turkey, then beef, then boar, fish and still have cyst. I know rabbit n fish barely or not at all give allergies issues. What Iā€™ve been doing n works is mix alun n peroxide. Alun is a spice youā€™ll find in your supermarket. Itā€™s that spice they put like in pickles which gives you that dry taste. I would mix one teaspoon of alun in 1/2cup of warm water which I boiled n use cotton swabs/pads to clean in between each paws where the cyst are. It basically dries them up. Then finish with the peroxide n put on his doggie socks so he doesnā€™t like. After a week, doing this morning n before bed time, you will see the cyst change colour n shrink. After a week and being very experimental person, I opt the water part and just put 1/2 a teaspoon of alun in 2oz of peroxide. Worked even faster as the burst. So you need to keep cleaning it especially when they burst or shrink. I do keep the socks on unless when he goes outside. Every dog is different. I know Duke has anxiety issues and most of his licking is due to that n not the food. Why heā€™s always on the go like a Jack Russell. Itā€™s a lot of extra work we donā€™t need but heh, it is what it is. Dogs with web feet are prone to do these cyst. Now my next step will be homeopathic remedy of Sulfur. That supposed to work even better. I just need to investigate more on it. Whatever you do, donā€™t bother with antibiotics for them cyst as itā€™s a 6-8 week treatment n the cyst DO come back. No point killing the immune system. Itā€™s simply just one of them things your hands are tied. You just need to work with it. Hereā€™s a great link but read the peopleā€™s comments below the article. I always find the people ā€˜s comments are the best way to learn different ways what worked for them.

Treating Canine Interdigital Cysts at Home | FrogDog Blog

THANK you so much, always love your insight... I haven't given him any antibiotics for his cysts as of yet. It's SO irritating, as soon as it disappears here comes another one!!! AND then Willow has NEVER had one... her fur/skin looks amazing!!! I don't get it... Lol

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Wallygator... Ugh!!!

We give Bentley the GNC fish oil once a day. It has kept his itching in check.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wallygator... Ugh!!!

Can remember... have you ever had the blood panel allergy test done on him? It could all be environmental, but potential some is food.

Iā€™d stop anything new that you started and do process of elimination or ask your vet about doing the blood allergy test... it runs about 150$ and gives a great baseline of items to avoid... some will say it isnā€™t 100% accurate, but gives a good place to start.

We did Nitschke and if we didnā€™t we would never had guessed he was allergic to rice, chicken and dairy. Banks was chicken, salmon and house flies... Lambeau is land, soy and corn
. Having avoided all those items for each pup has saved lots of time, money and frustration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's worth trying frozen raw in my opinion. For the ear infection try putting Zymox otic hc or Eco Ears in his ear daily for about 10 days then continue once a week maintenance with it. If you are feeding any fish treats then you don't need fish oil, but if you aren't, then a good human grade fish oil squeezed out of a capsule should help. Lately I've been giving my dog frozen lake smelts as treats that I got from my frozen raw dog food supplier.

I wouldn't give him the greek yoghurt since you are giving Herbsmith Microflora Plus, as he doesn't need it, and he could have a dairyallergy.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
For interdigital cysts (furuncles), we've been quite successful with chlorhexidine shampoo a few times a week (leave it on for 5-10 minutes and the rinse) and duoxo pads (or chlorhexidine on cotton pad) several times a day. Castor has had those furuncles on and off and I don't know if it's the weather or food.

I got a bottle of tar oil but haven't really tested it yet since he hasn't had any bad furuncles in a long time (knock on wood). Supposedly the oil good stuff but it smells.

Fish oil - we buy salmon oil.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Can remember... have you ever had the blood panel allergy test done on him? It could all be environmental, but potential some is food.

Iā€™d stop anything new that you started and do process of elimination or ask your vet about doing the blood allergy test... it runs about 150$ and gives a great baseline of items to avoid... some will say it isnā€™t 100% accurate, but gives a good place to start.

We did Nitschke and if we didnā€™t we would never had guessed he was allergic to rice, chicken and dairy. Banks was chicken, salmon and house flies... Lambeau is land, soy and corn
. Having avoided all those items for each pup has saved lots of time, money and frustration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to talk to her about it this week, she has to re-check his ear again. We have reached this point I'm afraid...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
THANKS guys... I have a LOT to think about, it's just getting so frustrating at this point.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Get comprehensive allergy testing done...money well spent.
Go from there.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Tracey, sorry to hear about your problems with Wally and i have to agree with the other members who have already mentioned testing, as said its not 100% accurate but in my opinion its money well spent.

Dudley had numerous very bad ear infections and we tried everything. We had him tested and among other things ( beef, lamb, chicken, rice, Salmon :eek:) he had a reaction to chemicals i.e detergents and air fresheners. We have since changed all our cleaning products including the washing up liquid to Bio D and at the moment (probably shouldn't tempt fate by saying this :) ) he hasn't had a break out for months.

Good luck hope you get your little man sorted.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
THANKS guys... I have a LOT to think about, it's just getting so frustrating at this point.

Sorry that I have nothing to add.....except.....sending well wishes for sweet Wallygator for relief soon. Also sending a big HANG IN THERE to you.....I can only imagine how frustrating this must all be.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Tracey, sorry to hear about your problems with Wally and i have to agree with the other members who have already mentioned testing, as said its not 100% accurate but in my opinion its money well spent.

Dudley had numerous very bad ear infections and we tried everything. We had him tested and among other things ( beef, lamb, chicken, rice, Salmon :eek:) he had a reaction to chemicals i.e detergents and air fresheners. We have since changed all our cleaning products including the washing up liquid to Bio D and at the moment (probably shouldn't tempt fate by saying this :) ) he hasn't had a break out for months.

Good luck hope you get your little man sorted.

I agree, it's time to get this done... I have literally done everything else. I get allergy shots, and my daughter also has sensitive skin issues... SO it's not a big surprise that now it's Wally's turn.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had a couple of the cysts when we first got him. One was infected. After treating it, (I can't remember what he did now), he recommended Douxo Mousse to follow up which seemed to help a lot. We also changed his food from Royal Canin so I am sure that helped too. He hasn't had any cysts since I am pleased to say. A couple of times his paw looked a bit red so I used the mousse and it took care of it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online