Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

  1. #1
    Kennel Cleaner Jlambe's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    92
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    I think getting Mackdaddy from the vet after TPLO surgery was one of the hardest days. Day 2 he is in good spirits and he just wants to lay out in the sun and the weather here in Dallas is great right now so I can't blame him. I know this is going to be a long healing process and one day at time. Well the surgeon thinks mackdaddy needs to lose a a little weight and recommended Purina JM joint mobility. So I was curious if anyone has used this food before, currently I am feeding him fromms grain free.

    Also I am looking for any advice for him to lose weight while recovering from his surgery. He was currently getting a cup and 1/4 or cup 1/2 twice a day and no human food. Also he got one treat a day so I didn't think I was feeding him that much.

  2. #2
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,388
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1385

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    I looked at Purina JM food- doesn't look good to me. I would just put him on Actiflex https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti...ution+32+oz.do ( for horses but can be given to dogs )
    to get his glucosamine. Dose is :
    25-50 pounds

    1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
    tsp. daily maintenance dose

    50-75 pounds:

    1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
    tsp. daily maintenance dose
    I would also give turmeric powder, and Movoflex ( eggshell membrane chews ). Another supplement that is good is Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) but I think Movoflex is better.

    The easiest way I found to make my dog lose weight was to switch her to recommended dose on bag of a dehydrated raw dog food. eg. Healthy Kitchen, Spot Farms, Only Natural EasyRaw.

    Another way to get your dog to lose weight is to add steamed green beans to the diet and cut down on the regular kibble. @oscarmayer has good advice on this.

  3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  4. #3
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,717
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    5673

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Cut his kibble back to 3/4 cup twice daily and add as many green beans as you like. We usually feed a 1/2 pack of the frozen, warmed in a microwave according to directions. We used to feed low sodium canned without issue but figure frozen has got to be better.
    Dolly is right, avoid the Purina...IMO, all Purina foods. Use the supplement she suggested.
    Concerning the correct amount to feed: it's a crap shoot! For our guys and rescues, we feed 1 cup twice a day unless they are a little thin or a little heavy...then we adjust accordingly, making small corrections. Smaller dogs are typically more active than larger(but not always), so they will burn off calories that a larger dog can't/won't. Occasionally we get in a dog that's BIG, and simply requires more food.
    2 cups a day seems to work fine for dogs 35-50lbs. However, senior dogs do not require as much food.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  5. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #4
    Kennel Cleaner Jlambe's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    92
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I looked at Purina JM food- doesn't look good to me. I would just put him on Actiflex https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti...ution+32+oz.do ( for horses but can be given to dogs )
    to get his glucosamine. Dose is :
    25-50 pounds

    1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
    tsp. daily maintenance dose

    50-75 pounds:

    1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
    tsp. daily maintenance dose
    I would also give turmeric powder, and Movoflex ( eggshell membrane chews ). Another supplement that is good is Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) but I think Movoflex is better.

    The easiest way I found to make my dog lose weight was to switch her to recommended dose on bag of a dehydrated raw dog food. eg. Healthy Kitchen, Spot Farms, Only Natural EasyRaw.

    Another way to get your dog to lose weight is to add steamed green beans to the diet and cut down on the regular kibble. @oscarmayer has good advice on this.

    Thanks I will look into this

  7. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,388
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    14658

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlambe View Post
    Thanks I will look into this
    How is Mackdaddy doing?

    The green bean diet works! I have done it with previous bulldogs and they lose the weight without having to change foods
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  10. #6
    Kennel Cleaner Jlambe's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    92
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    How is Mackdaddy doing?

    The green bean diet works! I have done it with previous bulldogs and they lose the weight without having to change foods
    Mackdaddy is doing quiet well actually. I have been very impressed with him and we are officially one week down from his surgery. He has been cooped in my bedroom but has plenty of big blankets on the floor for him lay on and chew bones to keep him busy. He is already walking and putting weight on the leg but we are taking it really slow and I have been trying to minimize most of the walking. This weekend was great so we just sat on the back porch and he got to sun bathe a bit.


    Food wise I have changed things and hopefully it will makes a difference. Originally I thought I was giving him a cup of food in the morning and evening but never really measured it. So apparently it was a cup and half and now I have been measuring it out to a cup and adding green beans. I will go with this for now and see if anything changes before his check up with the Vet.


    I really appreciate you asking and I'll probably give weekly updates on Mackdaddy.

  11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  12. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,388
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    14658

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlambe View Post
    Mackdaddy is doing quiet well actually. I have been very impressed with him and we are officially one week down from his surgery. He has been cooped in my bedroom but has plenty of big blankets on the floor for him lay on and chew bones to keep him busy. He is already walking and putting weight on the leg but we are taking it really slow and I have been trying to minimize most of the walking. This weekend was great so we just sat on the back porch and he got to sun bathe a bit.


    Food wise I have changed things and hopefully it will makes a difference. Originally I thought I was giving him a cup of food in the morning and evening but never really measured it. So apparently it was a cup and half and now I have been measuring it out to a cup and adding green beans. I will go with this for now and see if anything changes before his check up with the Vet.


    I really appreciate you asking and I'll probably give weekly updates on Mackdaddy.
    Perfect.... please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  13. #8
    Kennel Cleaner Jlambe's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    92
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Stitches are out and the vet said things are looking great. Still have to take it easy but everything is looking up.

  14. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  15. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,388
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    14658

    Default Re: Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlambe View Post
    Stitches are out and the vet said things are looking great. Still have to take it easy but everything is looking up.
    Nice!! Slow and steady


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •