Help Needed! Mackdaddy had TPLO surgery, looking for advice

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
I think getting Mackdaddy from the vet after TPLO surgery was one of the hardest days. Day 2 he is in good spirits and he just wants to lay out in the sun and the weather here in Dallas is great right now so I can't blame him. I know this is going to be a long healing process and one day at time. Well the surgeon thinks mackdaddy needs to lose a a little weight and recommended Purina JM joint mobility. So I was curious if anyone has used this food before, currently I am feeding him fromms grain free.

Also I am looking for any advice for him to lose weight while recovering from his surgery. He was currently getting a cup and 1/4 or cup 1/2 twice a day and no human food. Also he got one treat a day so I didn't think I was feeding him that much.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I looked at Purina JM food- doesn't look good to me. I would just put him on Actiflex https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do ( for horses but can be given to dogs )
to get his glucosamine. Dose is :
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 ½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose
I would also give turmeric powder, and Movoflex ( eggshell membrane chews ). Another supplement that is good is Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) but I think Movoflex is better.

The easiest way I found to make my dog lose weight was to switch her to recommended dose on bag of a dehydrated raw dog food. eg. Healthy Kitchen, Spot Farms, Only Natural EasyRaw.

Another way to get your dog to lose weight is to add steamed green beans to the diet and cut down on the regular kibble. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] has good advice on this.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Cut his kibble back to 3/4 cup twice daily and add as many green beans as you like. We usually feed a 1/2 pack of the frozen, warmed in a microwave according to directions. We used to feed low sodium canned without issue but figure frozen has got to be better.
Dolly is right, avoid the Purina...IMO, all Purina foods. Use the supplement she suggested.
Concerning the correct amount to feed: it's a crap shoot! For our guys and rescues, we feed 1 cup twice a day unless they are a little thin or a little heavy...then we adjust accordingly, making small corrections. Smaller dogs are typically more active than larger(but not always), so they will burn off calories that a larger dog can't/won't. Occasionally we get in a dog that's BIG, and simply requires more food.
2 cups a day seems to work fine for dogs 35-50lbs. However, senior dogs do not require as much food.

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
I looked at Purina JM food- doesn't look good to me. I would just put him on Actiflex https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do ( for horses but can be given to dogs )
to get his glucosamine. Dose is :
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 ½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose
I would also give turmeric powder, and Movoflex ( eggshell membrane chews ). Another supplement that is good is Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) but I think Movoflex is better.

The easiest way I found to make my dog lose weight was to switch her to recommended dose on bag of a dehydrated raw dog food. eg. Healthy Kitchen, Spot Farms, Only Natural EasyRaw.

Another way to get your dog to lose weight is to add steamed green beans to the diet and cut down on the regular kibble. @oscarmayer has good advice on this.

Thanks I will look into this

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I will look into this

How is Mackdaddy doing?

The green bean diet works! I have done it with previous bulldogs and they lose the weight without having to change foods

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
How is Mackdaddy doing?

The green bean diet works! I have done it with previous bulldogs and they lose the weight without having to change foods

Mackdaddy is doing quiet well actually. I have been very impressed with him and we are officially one week down from his surgery. He has been cooped in my bedroom but has plenty of big blankets on the floor for him lay on and chew bones to keep him busy. He is already walking and putting weight on the leg but we are taking it really slow and I have been trying to minimize most of the walking. This weekend was great so we just sat on the back porch and he got to sun bathe a bit.

Food wise I have changed things and hopefully it will makes a difference. Originally I thought I was giving him a cup of food in the morning and evening but never really measured it. So apparently it was a cup and half and now I have been measuring it out to a cup and adding green beans. I will go with this for now and see if anything changes before his check up with the Vet.

I really appreciate you asking and I'll probably give weekly updates on Mackdaddy.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mackdaddy is doing quiet well actually. I have been very impressed with him and we are officially one week down from his surgery. He has been cooped in my bedroom but has plenty of big blankets on the floor for him lay on and chew bones to keep him busy. He is already walking and putting weight on the leg but we are taking it really slow and I have been trying to minimize most of the walking. This weekend was great so we just sat on the back porch and he got to sun bathe a bit.

Food wise I have changed things and hopefully it will makes a difference. Originally I thought I was giving him a cup of food in the morning and evening but never really measured it. So apparently it was a cup and half and now I have been measuring it out to a cup and adding green beans. I will go with this for now and see if anything changes before his check up with the Vet.

I really appreciate you asking and I'll probably give weekly updates on Mackdaddy.

Perfect.... please keep us posted

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Stitches are out and the vet said things are looking great. Still have to take it easy but everything is looking up.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stitches are out and the vet said things are looking great. Still have to take it easy but everything is looking up.

Nice!! Slow and steady

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke

Glad to hear Mackdaddy is doing better and sending positive vibes! I'm trying to switch my pup's food due to weight issues and posted a thread on this topic. May I ask what food you switched to? As for low calorie treats, I've been giving Fruitables mini treats (see pic) and Riley's brand (see pics)
1674501745047.jpeg
1674501877028.png

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Glad to hear Mackdaddy is doing better and sending positive vibes! I'm trying to switch my pup's food due to weight issues and posted a thread on this topic. May I ask what food you switched to? As for low calorie treats, I've been giving Fruitables mini treats (see pic) and Riley's brand (see pics)
View attachment 123949View attachment 123950

I gave suggestions on food and treats in your thread for weight food/treats.

I would do the 1 ingredient freeze dried liver instead of those, limit carbs!

📰 Latest posts

Members online