Possible CCL tear

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Vet thinks Sophie has a partially torn CCL. Happened Saturday and she was obviously in pain. Took her in yesterday and they "think" that's what happened. No xrays yet as we were not prepared to have to sedate her. She has been on glucosamine forever and she is starting fish oil plus she is now on carprofen for the inflammation while we try to decide what we are going to do. I just need advice. I have read some on here about people who used a canine leg brace, so I may have to order one. (We are in the US.) Anyone have experience with this? She is only four and weighs btw 36-39 lbs regularly. We so dread her having another surgery but of course will do it if it's a must. Also concerned if we don't do it, she will wind up with problems on her other side. Help and thank you!!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So sorry about this! Glucosamine is great for joints which you are using and you can also use CBD oil for inflammation.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Aspen sorry to hear about Sophie, we are currently 5 weeks into the 12 weeks rest period after our Dudley had his CCL operation. We tried rest for two months before his operation and he was much better but then he met his favourite dog walker while we were out and went giddy nuts !! and was straight back to limping, that’s when we decided he would have to have the op. The vet did say some bulldogs can cope with rest if they are the type of dog that likes to “plod around” but if you have a “giddy jumpy” dog he’s probably going to need surgery :( I don’t know about Sophie but Dudley is a VERY “giddy jumpy” bulldog :D he like Sophie is only four too.
Hopefully rest will help Sophie I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION] ...X-rays show bone and will not show cartilage, ligaments, tendons, muscle, etc. Sophie needs to be immobile i.e. no running, jumping, climbing, horsing around. If the ligament is not fixed, arthritis will eventually set in. TPLO is one surgery option. Please see TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) in Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! . We hope this helps.

We have been through this procedure 3 times Jewel x 2 and once for Bentley.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
A physical exam performing the Drawer Sign test will determine if there is a CCL tear. Even if partially torn...still needs to be fixed.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Thank you all for your info! Sophie is feeling a lot more like her rambunctious self as of last night - we're trying to keep her calm LOL. Obviously feeling a lot better, but we don't want her to aggravate anything. The vets did the drawer test, but she was in pain and tense so they didn't give us a 100% for sure. I get that xrays only show bone, but that's still what they wanted to do. Anything for a buck? That's part of my concern. Anyhow, thanks again. We'll figure out our best course of action in the next week and move forward. She's my sweet sweet "child" and I just want her to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry this is happening, but if it is a tear it would have to be fixed... you can always go for a second opinion at a different vet if you are unsure.

sending lots of positive thoughts

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.