General Question Weight and Tail Pocket

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi!

Is there a correlation between weight and dirtiness of their tail pocket? My boyā€™s tail has all of a sudden become very dirty/infected. I took him to the vet and heā€™s been on antibiotics to clear it up. I asked the vet why his tail pocket changed all of a sudden and his answer was because heā€™s gained some weight so the tail canā€™t breath. Is this true?

Hereā€™s the little stink for your viewing pleasure.
2f83183f80c918f7c1556850e563991d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi!

Is there a correlation between weight and dirtiness of their tail pocket? My boyā€™s tail has all of a sudden become very dirty/infected. I took him to the vet and heā€™s been on antibiotics to clear it up. I asked the vet why his tail pocket changed all of a sudden and his answer was because heā€™s gained some weight so the tail canā€™t breath. Is this true?

Hereā€™s the little stink for your viewing pleasure.
2f83183f80c918f7c1556850e563991d.jpg

Hell no, has nothing to do with the weight. Nyala my brindle has a tail pocket issue since sheā€™s been a pup. Nyala is not fat either. Itā€™s simply the way the tail is made. Hers is stuck to her top butt. She eats raw n some Acana. Has nothing to do with her food either. Iā€™ve been doing an essential oil mix for her. Iā€™ve started over 2years ago cleaning her tail every 2-3ish days with the mix. Since autumn we just pass, Iā€™ve been cleaning every 2 weeks. Just last month I stretched it to a month to see where sheā€™s at for cleaning. I need to stick to every 2 weeks. Better than 2-3 days n better than amputation. Her vet just recently moved n she was more of an holistic vet. This vet even asked me for the recipe as she was amazed how well it works/worked. So to my eyes, has nothing to do with the weight. Nyala turned 3in September. Long process but heh, itā€™s fine with me.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hell no, has nothing to do with the weight. Nyala my brindle has a tail pocket issue since sheā€™s been a pup. Nyala is not fat either. Itā€™s simply the way the tail is made. Hers is stuck to her top butt. She eats raw n some Acana. Has nothing to do with her food either. Iā€™ve been doing an essential oil mix for her. Iā€™ve started over 2years ago cleaning her tail every 2-3ish days with the mix. Since autumn we just pass, Iā€™ve been cleaning every 2 weeks. Just last month I stretched it to a month to see where sheā€™s at for cleaning. I need to stick to every 2 weeks. Better than 2-3 days n better than amputation. Her vet just recently moved n she was more of an holistic vet. This vet even asked me for the recipe as she was amazed how well it works/worked. So to my eyes, has nothing to do with the weight. Nyala turned 3in September. Long process but heh, itā€™s fine with me.

Iā€™ve been using the essential oil mixture since heā€™s been off his meds! Iā€™m surprised at how dirty it gets so fast. Itā€™s not nearly as dirty as it was (I was using 3-4 wipes). But prior to summer 2018, I never had an issue! I donā€™t mind cleaning it daily, I just hope amputation isnā€™t something heā€™ll have to do.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve been using the essential oil mixture since heā€™s been off his meds! Iā€™m surprised at how dirty it gets so fast. Itā€™s not nearly as dirty as it was (I was using 3-4 wipes). But prior to summer 2018, I never had an issue! I donā€™t mind cleaning it daily, I just hope amputation isnā€™t something heā€™ll have to do.

Is your mix the one I posted? You donā€™t need to do it daily either unless itā€™s really brown n lots of hair. Start jumping a day since you said itā€™s much cleaner than before. Itā€™s basically the hair that stays trapped and it accumulates dirt n all. Nyalaā€™s would bleed at times. Why I did it often. As her body out grew the baby stage it got better each time.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Is your mix the one I posted? You donā€™t need to do it daily either unless itā€™s really brown n lots of hair. Start jumping a day since you said itā€™s much cleaner than before. Itā€™s basically the hair that stays trapped and it accumulates dirt n all. Nyalaā€™s would bleed at times. Why I did it often. As her body out grew the baby stage it got better each time.

Yup!! Itā€™s the one you posted. It smells so fresh I love it. Okay, Iā€™ll try every other day. Thank you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yup!! Itā€™s the one you posted. It smells so fresh I love it. Okay, Iā€™ll try every other day. Thank you!

Oh cool... smells fresh lolll that was funny...

If thereā€™s no redness on the baby wipes, jump a day for 2 weeks, if all is good do 3 days.. make sure the FIRST wipe has barely any brown ish colours on it. That means itā€™s working well them days.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
When my Tankā€™s tail pocket gets rotten, I wipe it with witch hazel, let it work for 30 min, and after that I put Neosporin ointment. Repeat every day. Heals perfect.
i think inflammation in tail pocket is more about allergy status and weather ( hot provokes infection). Itā€™s extremely important to dry thoroughly after shower and walks in rainy weather. When itā€™s extremely hot weather I use medicated zinc powder to prevent. But sometimes his tail pocket is perfect for months and then boom! Rotten. Thatā€™s why I think itā€™s more about allergy - something he eats or environmental - pollen etc.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Oh cool... smells fresh lolll that was funny...

If thereā€™s no redness on the baby wipes, jump a day for 2 weeks, if all is good do 3 days.. make sure the FIRST wipe has barely any brown ish colours on it. That means itā€™s working well them days.

So I checked today and I had to wipe. I could see a crust forming on the outside. It took half a wipe for it to come out clean, itā€™s mostly brown with white goop. Doesnā€™t seem to be infected because he just finished his antibiotics on New Yearā€™s Eve.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
When my Tankā€™s tail pocket gets rotten, I wipe it with witch hazel, let it work for 30 min, and after that I put Neosporin ointment. Repeat every day. Heals perfect.
i think inflammation in tail pocket is more about allergy status and weather ( hot provokes infection). Itā€™s extremely important to dry thoroughly after shower and walks in rainy weather. When itā€™s extremely hot weather I use medicated zinc powder to prevent. But sometimes his tail pocket is perfect for months and then boom! Rotten. Thatā€™s why I think itā€™s more about allergy - something he eats or environmental - pollen etc.

I might have to use witch hazel to dry it out!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I might have to use witch hazel to dry it out!

I first started with witch hazel and Nyala just lost it and yelped while running away. It stung her bad so I simply removed the WH in the mix. EO will sink into the skin n will dry up. Itā€™s the CO that keeps it oily.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I checked today and I had to wipe. I could see a crust forming on the outside. It took half a wipe for it to come out clean, itā€™s mostly brown with white goop. Doesnā€™t seem to be infected because he just finished his antibiotics on New Yearā€™s Eve.

Actually, weight could have something to do with it because the area will tighten up and the air is not getting in there to keep it clear. How much did her gain? Have you noticed if it is tighter under the tail

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Actually, weight could have something to do with it because the area will tighten up and the air is not getting in there to keep it clear. How much did her gain? Have you noticed if it is tighter under the tail

Heā€™s probably gained about 8-10lbs in the past year. His tail only started to be an issue summer 2018 (heā€™s now 3 years old). It doesnā€™t seem tighter, but then again prior to that I rarely had to clean it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Heā€™s probably gained about 8-10lbs in the past year. His tail only started to be an issue summer 2018 (heā€™s now 3 years old). It doesnā€™t seem tighter, but then again prior to that I rarely had to clean it.

Simply keep cleaning it and eventually youā€™ll end up stretching days as youā€™re maintaining it. Again I personally donā€™t believe itā€™s weight as Nyala within last year did gain 5lbs. According to her vet, said when it comes to tail pockets itā€™s simply how it sits on the butt and what they were born with. But heh, who knows... :)

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Simply keep cleaning it and eventually youā€™ll end up stretching days as youā€™re maintaining it. Again I personally donā€™t believe itā€™s weight as Nyala within last year did gain 5lbs. According to her vet, said when it comes to tail pockets itā€™s simply how it sits on the butt and what they were born with. But heh, who knows... :)

Sounds like a good plan to me. He doesnā€™t seem bothered by it, but it is very goopy looking once I clean it. Iā€™m not concerned about infection, like I said he just finished his antibiotics. I might try just a paper towel to absorb any moisture.

Thanks again!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like a good plan to me. He doesnā€™t seem bothered by it, but it is very goopy looking once I clean it. Iā€™m not concerned about infection, like I said he just finished his antibiotics. I might try just a paper towel to absorb any moisture.

Thanks again!

Another thing to consider is when you do use EO even in there, oils will also seep into the back body area and will maintain a lot of organs. :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online