Help Needed! Is it a Reoccurring UTI Problem or Not ???

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Happy holidays to everyone. Bella is a 9 year old spayed female EB, for the past couple of years she has been having problems that lead us to believe she has had a UTI, when it starts she has the usual UTI symptoms, false pees, signs of blood in her pee, a blood clot or two and peeing in the house without warning, if left untreated for a few days or a week she has problems with her back legs to the point of not being able to walk or even hold up her own weight. I get antibiotics from the vet and give them to her for 2 weeks, within a day after the first or second antibiotic tablet things clear up and she is back to normal but it only ever lasts for about 3 weeks after she finishes the 2 weeks of antibiotics and then it starts all over again. We have had urinalysis done several times that always come back clear, the last one a few months ago was sent to the vet college lab in PEI, the results were again clear. We have tried different types of antibiotics but the results are always the same. For some reason the antibiotics are only a temporary sulotion not a cure for whatever the real problem is, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to you and your bullie buddies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Happy holidays to everyone. Bella is a 9 year old spayed female EB, for the past couple of years she has been having problems that lead us to believe she has had a UTI, when it starts she has the usual UTI symptoms, false pees, signs of blood in her pee, a blood clot or two and peeing in the house without warning, if left untreated for a few days or a week she has problems with her back legs to the point of not being able to walk or even hold up her own weight. I get antibiotics from the vet and give them to her for 2 weeks, within a day after the first or second antibiotic tablet things clear up and she is back to normal but it only ever lasts for about 3 weeks after she finishes the 2 weeks of antibiotics and then it starts all over again. We have had urinalysis done several times that always come back clear, the last one a few months ago was sent to the vet college lab in PEI, the results were again clear. We have tried different types of antibiotics but the results are always the same. For some reason the antibiotics are only a temporary sulotion not a cure for whatever the real problem is, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to you and your bullie buddies.

Happy New Year to you to my Canuck....

Thereā€™s a post going about kidney/UTI ....you can read it might give you some ideas
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/59432-leaky-bully.html#post747882

Now just bare in mind any antibiotics your dog takes you need to also give a probiotic as antibiotic will kill all good flora in the gut and create more issues. I keep my 2 on regular basis even though they arenā€™t on antibiotics, I give them fermented sauerkraut in there food. There are 2 UTIs the common one and the ā€œrecurrentā€ one which basically are in the external genital area contains a large amount of germs. Check this link as it explains it very well... might give you some insight.

What You Need to Know About Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Happy New Year to you to my Canuck....

Thereā€™s a post going about kidney/UTI ....you can read it might give you some ideas
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/59432-leaky-bully.html#post747882

Now just bare in mind any antibiotics your dog takes you need to also give a probiotic as antibiotic will kill all good flora in the gut and create more issues. I keep my 2 on regular basis even though they arenā€™t on antibiotics, I give them fermented sauerkraut in there food. There are 2 UTIs the common one and the ā€œrecurrentā€ one which basically are in the external genital area contains a large amount of germs. Check this link as it explains it very well... might give you some insight.

What You Need to Know About Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs

Very interesting, the two things I get from that information is to give the antibiotics for 4 weeks this time instead of the normal 2 weeks and to see where I can buy the cranberry bladder bites, do you happen to know who sells them in Canada ?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Very interesting, the two things I get from that information is to give the antibiotics for 4 weeks this time instead of the normal 2 weeks and to see where I can buy the cranberry bladder bites, do you happen to know who sells them in Canada ?

Try buying just the pure d-Mannose powder from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Now-Foods-D-Mannose-Powder-Pack/dp/B000WSK7OY/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546190222&sr=1-4&keywords=d-mannose+powder or from a health food store ( make sure there's no xylitol ) and give about 1000mg ( 1/5 tsp ) a day mixed with a bit of water in her food

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Try buying just the pure d-Mannose powder from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Now-Foods-D-Mannose-Powder-Pack/dp/B000WSK7OY/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546190222&sr=1-4&keywords=d-mannose+powder or from a health food store ( make sure there's no xylitol ) and give about 1000mg ( 1/5 tsp ) a day mixed with a bit of water in her food

Thank you, I found that exact brand at our local health food store. Bella is 80lbs, is the 1000mg dose the correct dosage for her weight ?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you, I found that exact brand at our local health food store. Bella is 80lbs, is the 1000mg dose the correct dosage for her weight ?

No dose in my vet manual, but one manufacturer of d-mannose recommends 1000 mg per day for dogs over 30 pounds, another recommends 1000mg per 10 kg per day prophylaxis, which would be about 3600 mg per day ( 2/3 tsp ) for your dog . So you can give anywhere from 1/5-2/3 tsp a day. I would say it's quite safe and go with the higher dose.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
No dose in my vet manual, but one manufacturer of d-mannose recommends 1000 mg per day for dogs over 30 pounds, another recommends 1000mg per 10 kg per day prophylaxis, which would be about 3600 mg per day ( 2/3 tsp ) for your dog . So you can give anywhere from 1/5-2/3 tsp a day. I would say it's quite safe and go with the higher dose.

Thank you

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] got you covered. :)

I donā€™t know that extract, I personally would start with the lower dose n buildup. But thatā€™s me.... [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] knows their stuff too. Iā€™m just that precaution one loll..

And yes like mentioned make sure thereā€™s NO xylitol.

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo

Reoccurring UTIs can be trouble. If she gets regular blood tests, your vet can show you a graph that represents her kidney function. Something about too many antibiotics & the fact that kidneys donā€™t repair themselves.

if youā€™re crazy worried, an ultrasound can rule out the genetic/biological stuff.

Bites are much cheaper on Amazon.com (vs .ca) if thatā€™s even an option for you.

Strongly recommend always getting a culture to confirm the UTI is gone.

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Reoccurring UTIs can be trouble. If she gets regular blood tests, your vet can show you a graph that represents her kidney function. Something about too many antibiotics & the fact that kidneys donā€™t repair themselves.

if youā€™re crazy worried, an ultrasound can rule out the genetic/biological stuff.

Bites are much cheaper on Amazon.com (vs .ca) if thatā€™s even an option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NHETZCR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546224883&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cranberry+bladder+bites&psc=1

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes sometimes if you do the math comes out cheaper even with the exchange on the dollar.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you totally covered.... sending well wishes for your Bella.. hope the longer antibiotic and supplements work this time

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Thank you and agree, I ordered 170g (2 pack) that worked out to $25.50 per 85 grams compared to $40 for 85g at our local health food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you and agree, I ordered 170g (2 pack) that worked out to $25.50 per 85 grams compared to $40 for 85g at our local health food.

$25.50 Canadian?
Also itā€™s chicken flavored, keep an eye on ā€œIFā€ any new itchiness... just a thought. :)

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
$25.50 Canadian?
Also itā€™s chicken flavored, keep an eye on ā€œIFā€ any new itchiness... just a thought. :)

Yes Canadian dollars on Amazon.ca, they have a package of two 170 gram bottles for $85 plus $17 shipping, it works out to $25.50 Canadian per 85 grams.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.