General Question Scaly Dry Patches

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Hi everyone! I am a new member and have my first English bulldog puppy who is about 13 weeks. I have been researching the forum trying to make sure we are taking care of her the best we possibly can. We have noticed that she has these scaly dry flakey patches on her that are about the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil. They appear to be painful to her when we try to get a good look at them. They flake off and leave pink healthy looking skin but the hair and thinned in the area. We have been rubbing her down with coconut oil every few days to try to keep her skin hydrated and coat shiny. Is there anything else we could be doing? Maybe increase to daily? Is this the beginning of hot spots? Allergies?

45623dbaa216f1217105d0b0040c2b60.jpg
89423c8b53bcdb3f4a26963da0924126.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi and welcome to the forum, i am sure you will receive a lot of info very shortly as there are a lot of very knowledgeable folk on this site and always keen to help. All i can offer is that our Bully gets similar small patches but only in the summer and we have narrowed it down to insect bites when he plays in the grass.

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Hi everyone! I am a new member and have my first English bulldog puppy who is about 13 weeks. I have been researching the forum trying to make sure we are taking care of her the best we possibly can. We have noticed that she has these scaly dry flakey patches on her that are about the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil. They appear to be painful to her when we try to get a good look at them. They flake off and leave pink healthy looking skin but the hair and thinned in the area. We have been rubbing her down with coconut oil every few days to try to keep her skin hydrated and coat shiny. Is there anything else we could be doing? Maybe increase to daily? Is this the beginning of hot spots? Allergies?

45623dbaa216f1217105d0b0040c2b60.jpg
89423c8b53bcdb3f4a26963da0924126.jpg

First, she is adorable!
I went through this with my pup. Per my vet it is most likely 1 of 3 things: 1) a nibble from a sibling; 2) puppy mites; or 3) a staph infection. I learned that all of things are common in puppies. #2 & 3 are related to a young immune system. Get her in to a vet for a skin & wellness checkup. Meanwhile, do not pick at the scaly patches. Spot treatment with coconut oil seems okay by way of a clean ear swab (Q-tip). But again, best to get her in to a vet.
As a newbie, I have found the website and people to be AWESOME! Welcome :)

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
Try using a homemade oatmeal moisturiser, it canā€™t do any harm, worked wonders for my boy!

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Thank you everyone! We have a vet appointment coming up for shots so I will ask the vet what she thinks. This forum is really great for info! This is our first English bulldog and I think we are hooked on the breed now. They have the sweetest personalities and I can already tell she will be a big lap dog! I canā€™t wait to watch her grow into her full grown wrinkly self

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! We have a vet appointment coming up for shots so I will ask the vet what she thinks. This forum is really great for info! This is our first English bulldog and I think we are hooked on the breed now. They have the sweetest personalities and I can already tell she will be a big lap dog! I canā€™t wait to watch her grow into her full grown wrinkly self

Welcome to EBN.... what a precious little one!

Since she is a puppy, under a year old... good chance it is manage (mites). Where are they on her ... face, legs, head?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
my boy will do that in the summer it seems,,,, and i fix by adding fish oil of sorts, and or coconut oil to food.

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Welcome to EBN.... what a precious little one!

Since she is a puppy, under a year old... good chance it is manage (mites). Where are they on her ... face, legs, head?

They seem to be appearing on the body and tail area. I have never experienced mites but after googling I think you may be right. Now Iā€™m worried they may be in the house. Will simply vacuuming and deep cleaning be enough or do you think I need an exterminator

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They seem to be appearing on the body and tail area. I have never experienced mites but after googling I think you may be right. Now Iā€™m worried they may be in the house. Will simply vacuuming and deep cleaning be enough or do you think I need an exterminator

No, all dogs have mites, just when the immune system is weak the body can not fight them off. It is not uncommon for it to happen to puppies which is why I said, if under a year it is probably mites, otherwise known as manage.
Get the vet to do a skin scrape to confirm.
in the meantime, get him on a probiotic to help strengthen the immune system .... raw goat's milk, plain yogurt, fresh sauerkraut or Hernsmith's MicroFlora

OP
Southernbellejc

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Ok thank you so much! We have been doing some yogurt but have only just started that

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.