Leaky Bully

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Looking for advice. My dog leaks a bit when heā€™s relaxed/sleeping. Just a couple of drops, def nothing Iā€™d call an accident. Culture ruled out a UTI. Heā€™ll be 6 in March.

Vet has him on Proin & now itā€™s just a matter of determining the right dosage. I donā€™t want him taking it for the rest of his life - not sure what the long term effect is? Has anybody gone through this? Looking for suggestions to take to my vet.

More info, in case itā€™s relevant - he gets UTIs every year. This year was particularity bad, so he got an ultrasound. Turns out his kidney walls are thinner than normal but they canā€™t say if he was born that way (vs due to aging). So now he takes renal capsules to support his kidney function. Time will tell if this keeps the UTIs away. Also have him on cranberry bladder bites because I heard theyā€™re amazing.

Theory on the Proin, weak muscle, canā€™t keep the ā€œdoorā€ closed when he has a full bladder.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Looking for advice. My dog leaks a bit when heā€™s relaxed/sleeping. Just a couple of drops, def nothing Iā€™d call an accident. Culture ruled out a UTI. Heā€™ll be 6 in March.

Vet has him on Proin & now itā€™s just a matter of determining the right dosage. I donā€™t want him taking it for the rest of his life - not sure what the long term effect is? Has anybody gone through this? Looking for suggestions to take to my vet.

More info, in case itā€™s relevant - he gets UTIs every year. This year was particularity bad, so he got an ultrasound. Turns out his kidney walls are thinner than normal but they canā€™t say if he was born that way (vs due to aging). So now he takes renal capsules to support his kidney function. Time will tell if this keeps the UTIs away. Also have him on cranberry bladder bites because I heard theyā€™re amazing.

Theory on the Proin, weak muscle, canā€™t keep the ā€œdoorā€ closed when he has a full bladder.

My dog doesn't have this, but normally the dosage for phenylpropanolamine (Proin) is 1.1-1.5 mg/kg every 8 hours. It's safe to use this long term. Make sure your dog is let out frequently to empty bladder and given lots of fluids and I would give him a combination of cranberry/d-mannose and periodic probiotics to prevent further UTI. Hopefully he doesn't have any struvite bladder stones or anatomic abnormalities such as an ectopic ureter causing these infections- has your vet checked for that? A good way to give lots of fluids is a dehydrated raw or frozen raw dog food.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
My dog doesn't have this, but normally the dosage for phenylpropanolamine (Proin) is 1.1-1.5 mg/kg every 8 hours. It's safe to use this long term. Make sure your dog is let out frequently to empty bladder and given lots of fluids and I would give him a combination of cranberry/d-mannose and periodic probiotics to prevent further UTI. Hopefully he doesn't have any struvite bladder stones or anatomic abnormalities such as an ectopic ureter causing these infections- has your vet checked for that? A good way to give lots of fluids is a dehydrated raw or frozen raw dog food.

Yep, when she ordered the ultrasound. Heā€™s on a raw diet & takes cranberry bladder bites.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yep, when she ordered the ultrasound. Heā€™s on a raw diet & takes cranberry bladder bites.

Do the cranberry bladder bites have d-mannose as well? It's good to have both ingredients.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Couple more things you can do to help get rid of UTIs is with essential oils. I would definitely put a diffuser where he sleeps. If your diffuser holds one cup of water, add to the water these oils: cloves...cloves helps to kill bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics, lavender, eucalyptus, cumin oil, coriander oil are very effective when paired with antibiotics. Now you would add between 3-5 drops of each EO into your water. Also, get organic Oil of Oregano (OOO). In his raw food which I presume he eats 1/2lb per meal, add 1-2 drops only n mix it in his food. OOO kills antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

You also could do 3 to 5 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier oil like coconut oil. Make SURE to use a carrier oil as some oils can irritate the skin. If youā€™re not sure just ask me...

Now if you keep this maintenance up on regular basis, yes regular basis, eventually heā€™ll need less meds or none at all. Bare in mind Iā€™m NOT saying to stop the meds as you donā€™t but start these EO, it will cut down on meds.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Couple more things you can do to help get rid of UTIs is with essential oils. I would definitely put a diffuser where he sleeps. If your diffuser holds one cup of water, add to the water these oils: cloves...cloves helps to kill bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics, lavender, eucalyptus, cumin oil, coriander oil are very effective when paired with antibiotics. Now you would add between 3-5 drops of each EO into your water. Also, get organic Oil of Oregano (OOO). In his raw food which I presume he eats 1/2lb per meal, add 1-2 drops only n mix it in his food. OOO kills antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

You also could do 3 to 5 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier oil like coconut oil. Make SURE to use a carrier oil as some oils can irritate the skin. If youā€™re not sure just ask me...

Now if you keep this maintenance up on regular basis, yes regular basis, eventually heā€™ll need less meds or none at all. Bare in mind Iā€™m NOT saying to stop the meds as you donā€™t but start these EO, it will cut down on meds.

He doesnā€™t have a UTI. Culture came back negative. Regarding UTI prevention, the reviews on the Cranberry Bites product were ridiculously good. Folks who shared their stories, sounded like they were talking about my dog. I wonā€™t do anything more before seeing if the bites work.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
May be also restrict drinking after letā€™s say 7 pm, take away his water bowl.

I could give you examples as recent as today that would show restricting water wonā€™t help.

Honestly, the leaking is so minor that I donā€™t care when heā€™s home. I wash his beds periodically. He knows the couch is off limits if the cover isnā€™t there. The concern is when heā€™s with sitters. Sitters donā€™t like problematic dogs. I predict Iā€™ll just give him a full doseage of Proin when heā€™s with a sitter & nada when heā€™s home. I think thatā€™s a good compromise.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He doesnā€™t have a UTI. Culture came back negative. Regarding UTI prevention, the reviews on the Cranberry Bites product were ridiculously good. Folks who shared their stories, sounded like they were talking about my dog. I wonā€™t do anything more before seeing if the bites work.

Cause you mentioned ā€œhe gets UTIs every yearā€ and you have him on cranberry bladder bites. Basically itā€™s all related. Why I suggested to you essential oils. Using it like a massage oil around the kidney area will improve but that always boils down to the owner. Just a suggestion:)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Have a question cause you mentioned he eats raw. What is his ratio of protein he gets per day? Just like in humans, if you have some kind of kidney issues or associated, first thing to do is lower the protein intake or use different proteins in smaller amounts.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Have a question cause you mentioned he eats raw. What is his ratio of protein he gets per day? Just like in humans, if you have some kind of kidney issues or associated, first thing to do is lower the protein intake or use different proteins in smaller amounts.

Twice/day he eats 300g of food - 75% meat & 25% veg + 50g pumpkin. I rotate between lamb & turkey. Heā€™s 48 lbs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Twice/day he eats 300g of food - 75% meat & 25% veg + 50g pumpkin. I rotate between lamb & turkey. Heā€™s 48 lbs.

Hereā€™s a couple of great links on rules for feeding raw....

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-feeding-primer/
This link you can subscribe to it if you want. Very good magazine on the holistic side.

What You Need to Know About Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs

Where in Van are you? I use to live in White Rock. Loved it there. Miss it. Mind you so thereā€™s walkway lol...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

have you thought about a belly band for when he is with the sitter? it is sort of a diaper for male dogs and you can get them on amazon

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.