Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Well we are a couple weeks in and Tyson is a hot mess right now. He is itchy, his ears are gunky and so are his eyes. Bella has had some itchies but not much. I want to bang my head on a wall. I feel so bad for him. He is very pissy about me getting near his ears to put in some drops. Seeing him miserable makes me want to cry so bad. Part of the problem is that I also don't know if some environmental is kicking in as well since the temps/weather here in NY has been wonky. :ashamed:

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried The Honest Kitchen? It is a dehydrated raw and they also have one where you can add in your own protein.

I just ordered the raw rabbit formula from a place that Christine (2BullyMama) recommended. Even though these guys didn't care for the dehydrated raw, I was thinking of adding the Honest Kitchen's Dehydrated Grain Free Fruit and Veggie Mix to the raw. Thoughts, advice, comments?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just ordered the raw rabbit formula from a place that Christine (2BullyMama) recommended. Even though these guys didn't care for the dehydrated raw, I was thinking of adding the Honest Kitchen's Dehydrated Grain Free Fruit and Veggie Mix to the raw. Thoughts, advice, comments?

When you say “adding it” do you mean mixing raw n HK in each meal or example feed HK in the morning n Raw at night? If it’s mixing together, I wouldn’t do that as you’ll lose control on what doesn’t work for your dogs. Do your steps, just start using one brand at a time. See how that goes. Basically don’t mix. Just go all raw or just all HK. In your case I would write down everything the dogs are eating this includes their treats. Works for one dog but not the other. Gets confusing at times.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When you say “adding it” do you mean mixing raw n HK in each meal or example feed HK in the morning n Raw at night? If it’s mixing together, I wouldn’t do that as you’ll lose control on what doesn’t work for your dogs. Do your steps, just start using one brand at a time. See how that goes. Basically don’t mix. Just go all raw or just all HK. In your case I would write down everything the dogs are eating this includes their treats. Works for one dog but not the other. Gets confusing at times.

I was looking at the Grain Free Fruit and Veggie Base Mix from HK to add to the raw rabbit. I figured I start on the Raw first to see how they do with the Rabbit and then if all goes well maybe add on the fruit and veggie base mix to add a little to it. Should I have a slow transition phase to the raw from the kibble like you would one kibble protein to another, or can I just go ahead and give them the raw?

Thanks
B

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I was looking at the Grain Free Fruit and Veggie Base Mix from HK to add to the raw rabbit. I figured I start on the Raw first to see how they do with the Rabbit and then if all goes well maybe add on the fruit and veggie base mix to add a little to it. Should I have a slow transition phase to the raw from the kibble like you would one kibble protein to another, or can I just go ahead and give them the raw?
B

I would simply go raw first n not waste money on the base mix of HK. You can top with your own veggies you buy at the market or what you eat at home. A lot cheaper down the road. If you go raw there is no need to do a transition. It’s going to take a few days or so for their stool to get on track. And it will look like little hard nuggets. It’s important to give them like fresh green beans, bell pepper, zucchini, berries etc..as treats or a little topping. These veggies are loaded of fiber. Also they do drink less water which is normal.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would simply go raw first n not waste money on the base mix of HK. You can top with your own veggies you buy at the market or what you eat at home. A lot cheaper down the road. If you go raw there is no need to do a transition. It’s going to take a few days or so for their stool to get on track. And it will look like little hard nuggets. It’s important to give them like fresh green beans, bell pepper, zucchini, berries etc..as treats or a little topping. These veggies are loaded of fiber. Also they do drink less water which is normal.

Thanks a million Helen. These stinkers love them some fruits and veggies.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I’m a big veggie eater so no matter what when I’m chopping away, both are in the kitchen waiting for me to throw them a few.. they love asparagus.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

You can do as Helene suggests, I do with my guys but not every meal... the raw you are getting has fruit and veggies in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahhh I didn’t know that. My raw has no veggies n fruits.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ahhh I didn’t know that. My raw has no veggies n fruits.

Correct, because I never told what I feed on the boards... I just share in PM :) It is a local company

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.