thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Hi everyone,

I see that a lot of people use fish oil and probiotics for their babies.
I have been giving my Stella a teaspoon of plain greek yogurt daily with her breakfast, but i would like to start adding fish oil and a real probiotic.

I am just wondering what type of fish oil you use and how much? as well as if one is better than the other??
Also, is it specific for dogs or do we use the same that people can take? i am seeing mixed answers on the internet.

I welcome all the feedback, i know i will get great advise here :)

PS.. Stella says Hi!!
muffin.png

Thank you!!
Theresa

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone,

I see that a lot of people use fish oil and probiotics for their babies.
I have been giving my Stella a teaspoon of plain greek yogurt daily with her breakfast, but i would like to start adding fish oil and a real probiotic.

I am just wondering what type of fish oil you use and how much? as well as if one is better than the other??
Also, is it specific for dogs or do we use the same that people can take? i am seeing mixed answers on the internet.

I welcome all the feedback, i know i will get great advise here :)

PS.. Stella says Hi!!
View attachment 114915

Thank you!!
Theresa

Iā€™ve stopped giving fish oils way back. Way too much refined n mercury especially fished on the Asian side. I give mine fermented sauerkraut in the fridge section. If youā€™re feeding raw you donā€™t need to worry that much about probiotics and most quality kibbles has added probiotics in them. Donā€™t over do it with probiotics the same goes for supplements...once in a while is all you need not daily. Nowadays people are simply overwhelmed with all the big marketing ads on the net n tv. Why like you said ā€œseeing mix messages on the netā€. If your dog eats healthy with extra fiber given daily like fresh green beans or frozen or berries, sheā€™ll be fine.

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you Helene!
I have read about the sauerkraut as well. I definitely don't want to go overboard. I think I will take your advise and not add them.

She is currently eating Fromm Beef Fritatta and her treats are blueberries, carrot, natural penut butter and raw treats (goats cheese & tumeric) Maybe i will incorporate the Kraut once in a while as you suggested.

There are so many conflicting things out there and everyone's dog is different with different allergies etc.
Since we are talking food, what is your take on the "grain free" for EB? Everyone seems to say they should be eating a grain free diet, but i have been doing a lot of reading and some say a grain free diet can lead to potential heart issues.
It's hard to know what the perfect answer is, but i just want to do what is best for my sweet baby to help her live the longest healthiest life possible. I am now wondering if I should be incorporating grains since her Fromm kibble is grain free..

Thanks for your response and input!
Theresa

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi Stella!

I don't use fish oil but will give a can of no salt/in water of sardines here and there. I also rotate giving raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I give my 30 pound dog 1000mg ( 300mg EPA/DHA) day of fish oil from a capsule that I pierce. But only on the weeks when she's not getting fish. And once a week I give her 400IU natural source Vitamin E since fish oil depletes Vitamin E.

I also supplement with virgin organic coconut oil most days during the summer (allergy season), and hemp seed oil if she is eating beef and flax seed oil from a capsule if she is eating turkey. She had a lot of allergies when I first got her and she's much better now with all this plus an antihistamine and also with switching to frozen raw dog food.

I also make my own water kefir which I give her a few times a week.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you Helene!
I have read about the sauerkraut as well. I definitely don't want to go overboard. I think I will take your advise and not add them.

She is currently eating Fromm Beef Fritatta and her treats are blueberries, carrot, natural penut butter and raw treats (goats cheese & tumeric) Maybe i will incorporate the Kraut once in a while as you suggested.

There are so many conflicting things out there and everyone's dog is different with different allergies etc.
Since we are talking food, what is your take on the "grain free" for EB? Everyone seems to say they should be eating a grain free diet, but i have been doing a lot of reading and some say a grain free diet can lead to potential heart issues.
It's hard to know what the perfect answer is, but i just want to do what is best for my sweet baby to help her live the longest healthiest life possible. I am now wondering if I should be incorporating grains since her Fromm kibble is grain free..

Theresa

Youā€™re feeding her perfect! Donā€™t change whatā€™s not broken. I personally donā€™t believe grain free cause heart issues. No scientific facts anywhere. Like you just said...ā€can lead to potential heart issues.ā€ The word CAN is like the word IF in my book. Dogs are like the humans. Same diseases, organ issues, muscle issues etc etc...if we eat too much carbs n especially process food is when the human n dogs start having issues. Just add sauerkraut a couple times a week. One tablespoon is enough as a treat or add to the kibbles.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you Helene!

Theresa

The grain free is is a MAYBE based on breed... you are doing well with your feeding and if you are concerned, as Citty mentions and all the other great advice from Helene and Dollyā€™s Owner share, add sardines once in awhile.

There is another thread active about the grain free topic... think it is ā€˜did you see thisā€™
? Fromm Zingnature and Orijen/Acana provides the taurine needed in the ingredients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you everyone for your helpful advise!
Christine, is there a way to search for the thread besides looking through all the pages? I can't seem to find a search option to input key words.. Was looking for the "did you see this" thread.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online