OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Just read this about Duke. Sounds like you dot some sound advice and I hope Duke improves. Please keep us posted.

We call new toys "presents" too. Too funny!

thanks!! its funny if we even whisper the word "present" Duke goes crazy because he knows that means he is getting a new toy! LOL

I feel so bad not giving him dinner but he seems ok, he did go to the bathroom when I got home , not as loose as this morning. I already boiled his chicken and made the rice for tomorrow morning.. :whistle: now just have to wait it out..

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], how much NVI where you feeding him? Vegas is 2 and he gets one cup in the morning around 7:30 and one cup at night around 5, followed by an evening snack of frozen green beans, yogurt, apples, bananas, pumpkin,cottage cheese.... NOT all of this, but I switch his snacks around. Again and has rock solid :poo:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

Ask your vet for FortiFlora...when my pup had Coccidia even when she tested negative and was free of it she had diarrhea. My ASCA affilliate for Australian Shepherds told me to ask my vet for it. And I seen results with in the first day. We're talking MONTHS of disturbing issues with loose stools. To the point that I still get excited seeing a firm deposit in the yard. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! Ask him about it...Surely it couldn't hurt and definitely can help any issues that are going on in the inside.

The benefits of Fortiflora [Copied what was on the back of the box]
* Containes guaranteed amounts of live active cultures
*Proven to promote intestinal health and balance
*Nutritional supplement for dietary management of dogs with diarrhea
*Promotes a healthy immune system

This stuff is AMAZING! I can't see why they would not agree that Duke could benefit from this powder you place on their food prior to their eating.

Good luck...and fingers crossed they can give this to you. We dealt almost three months with Diarrhea until this was given to our pup.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

Ask your vet for FortiFlora...when my pup had Coccidia even when she tested negative and was free of it she had diarrhea. My ASCA affilliate for Australian Shepherds told me to ask my vet for it. And I seen results with in the first day. We're talking MONTHS of disturbing issues with loose stools. To the point that I still get excited seeing a firm deposit in the yard. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! Ask him about it...Surely it couldn't hurt and definitely can help any issues that are going on in the inside.

The benefits of Fortiflora [Copied what was on the back of the box]
* Containes guaranteed amounts of live active cultures
*Proven to promote intestinal health and balance
*Nutritional supplement for dietary management of dogs with diarrhea
*Promotes a healthy immune system

This stuff is AMAZING! I can't see why they would not agree that Duke could benefit from this powder you place on their food prior to their eating.

Good luck...and fingers crossed they can give this to you. We dealt almost three months with Diarrhea until this was given to our pup.

Jake is using this fortiflora..ever since he had week long bout of diaherria..along with a 6 day step process on rice..and chicken..(but I didn't give chicken..just some broth)..did work. Never figured out why he got it..didn't change food..I think it was a combination of puppy shots..and I increased his food too quickly. It only took a couple meals and he was improving quickly..I hope this happens for you and Duke.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
thanks everyone. I have a call into the vet.. Duke is really fine , this morning poop was much more hard, still had a spot of blood at the very end (vet does not seem alarmed at this although I am ) and also he threw up a little bile this morning? I am so upset for him. My husband thinks he just a bug and this is the end of it. he is acting fine, drinking lots of water ?? I am sure they will probably have me bring him in or do a fecal sample this afternoon..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Karen..I always get here late cuz u know..I am in ca. I bet he is a little dehydrated..and tummy is empty..that's prob why a little bile? I think you would feel beter with a trip to vet..will be thinking of you both today!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The little bile throw up may be due to him skipping dinner last nite. It's common and I wouldn't worry so much about it. An irritated rectum or anus can also be accounted for the little blood. It's a great sign that he's acting normal.

When my Stig had runny poops with a spec of red blood we fasted him too for a night and made sure he's hydrated. I think it took him 3 days to recover and get back to normal. We figured we were feeding him to much so we lessened his portions.

Last edited:
OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
The little bile throw up may be due to him skipping dinner last nite. It's common and I wouldn't worry so much about it. An irritated rectum or anus can also be accounted for the little blood. It's a great sign that he's acting normal.

When my Stig had runny poops with a spec of red blood we fasted him too for a night and made sure he's hydrated. I think it took him 3 days to recover and get back to normal. We figured we were feeding him to much so we lessened his portions.

ok thanks this made me feel a litle better.. still waiting for vet to call

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
ok, so think I need to find a new primary vet but will deal with that next week. ended up seeing Duke's dermatologist who is a vet as well. our primary is so lax with simply calling people back. he does not have worms or parasites .. the vet at the University of penn thinks it was simply from an abrupt change in food. he wants us to continue boiled chicken and rice for a week then slowly over a 3 week period add in the new food. ( although i am terrified to do so ).. he told us the only other option is to go back to what he was on before and I do want to give this NVI a chance after all the great things i have heard. he agreed bile just from upset stomach.. he was SO calm and not worried at all. Duke is flying around like a nut and nothing is wrong. I think I need a drink.

Oh now to my question. he wants us to give him immodium for 3 days one tablet every 8 hours... anyone else ever try this?

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I'm surprised they didn't give you diarreha pills that are meant for animals. I didn't find them to expensive in the least...When I asked about giving the bulldog pepto...my vet said that to much of it can cause issues to the liver...but immodium never heard of a dog taking that...curious as to why they didn't just give you pills that were for diarrhea which also has live cultures in them. At least that was what our vet told us..

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I'm surprised they didn't give you diarreha pills that are meant for animals. I didn't find them to expensive in the least...When I asked about giving the bulldog pepto...my vet said that to much of it can cause issues to the liver...but immodium never heard of a dog taking that...curious as to why they didn't just give you pills that were for diarrhea which also has live cultures in them. At least that was what our vet told us..
he told us he could give us a prescription for diarreha pills but he felt the immodium worked just as well and much cheaper :(
He also only wants us to give once every 8 hours until he is completely firm. ( he said this was his opinion that we could also just stick with the bland diet) which I feel is working , his bowels are semi soft now? I was more upset that he threw up the bile today that is why I took him.. I am just not sure whether or not to give to him?

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This is my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth:

Duke is a puppy, puppies get diarrhea. Keep him in the bland diet and wait for his stools to firm up. Once they firm up, introduce the kibble again and see what happens.

I appreciate you wanting to call your vet but what can he really tell by not examining Duke? How does he know it is not some kind of bug in the digestive system.

I don't think it is necessary to give Immodium or any other medication until you give the bland diet a chance to work and let his system settle down.

The throwing up isn't a big deal. As others have said, it happens when bullies have empty stomachs sometimes (Linus does this in the morning if I feed too early) - so it's a good sign. You know he's emptied out and now you can feed bland diet and give him a chance to slowly feel better.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! We have used immodium on dogs with success..just be careful..as usual can cause constipation ! We keep that in our earthquake kit for critters..I'll be right over for a drink! Margarita ok!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth:

Duke is a puppy, puppies get diarrhea. Keep him in the bland diet and wait for his stools to firm up. Once they firm up, introduce the kibble again and see what happens.

I appreciate you wanting to call your vet but what can he really tell by not examining Duke? How does he know it is not some kind of bug in the digestive system.

I don't think it is necessary to give Immodium or any other medication until you give the bland diet a chance to work and let his system settle down.

The throwing up isn't a big deal. As others have said, it happens when bullies have empty stomachs sometimes (Linus does this in the morning if I feed too early) - so it's a good sign. You know he's emptied out and now you can feed bland diet and give him a chance to slowly feel better.

I hope I am not out of turn..Duke is ..I think..3 years old..sorry if I am out of place!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I hope I am not out of turn..Duke is ..I think..3 years old..sorry if I am out of place!

You are right he is 3 1/2 .. I am sorry to be so upset.. he is 3 1/2 and while he has had issues with allergies etc. this is the first time he has been sick.. he never got sick even as a puppy so I am just concerned :*(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.