completely frustrated any suggestions ?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Ok please see other thread about Duke's bowels and having a little blood in stool and loose bowels since last night. the actual vet just called me at work.. we just switched him over to Nature's variety instinct beef formula. Duke has been on Dick van Patten duck and potatoe limited ingredient diet for over a year now and still has to take a very low dose steriod every other day to keep allergies at bay. He was completely tested and has NO food allergies , he is allergic to mold and wool. SO after alot of research and peoples suggestions I decided to switch him to this food in hopes to increase his immune system and get him off potatoe which alot of people causes itchies?

he just told me to put him back on the duck and potatoe. he feels his GI track is irriated from the beef??

I just don't know what to do ?? any thoughts? He has never had a problem with his bowels. I thought maybe i was feeding him too much of the new food.

I appreciate your input here..

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Your vet could be correct. He could also be wrong. There is no way of telling but as I said before, it doesn't sound like Duke's poops are a result of the diet because I think there would've been warning signs since he's been eating NVI for 6 days.

If your vet didn't perform a fecal to check for parasites or anything, then he doesn't really know but some foods can be rough on the puppy's digestive tract.

I would feed him bland diet until you get a normal stood. Once you get a normal stood, feed half bland and half NVI. If you see more diarrhea, I would go to the vet and revisit the idea of a fecal exam and another diet change.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Your vet could be correct. He could also be wrong. There is no way of telling but as I said before, it doesn't sound like Duke's poops are a result of the diet because I think there would've been warning signs since he's been eating NVI for 6 days.

If your vet didn't perform a fecal to check for parasites or anything, then he doesn't really know but some foods can be rough on the puppy's digestive tract.

I would feed him bland diet until you get a normal stood. Once you get a normal stood, feed half bland and half NVI. If you see more diarrhea, I would go to the vet and revisit the idea of a fecal exam and another diet change.
Ok thank you .. can you tell me what exactly is in a bland diet? I had read this meant boiled chicken and rice , then I also read to fast them for 24 hours? someone else told me to give him a little pumpkin?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Click on the word bland diet and it will give you lots of info - you should not feed him until the diarrhea stops then start him on bland diet. I feed one cup twice per day. Do not put anything on it (my opinion) until you get a firm stool.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Click on the word bland diet and it will give you lots of info - you should not feed him until the diarrhea stops then start him on bland diet. I feed one cup twice per day. Do not put anything on it (my opinion) until you get a firm stool.

thank you , you have been a really big help. not to sound completely stupid but he has soft mushy stools now.. not diarrhea so would it be ok to feed him the bland diet starting tonight? his bowels this am were 1/2 normal and half mush?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
thank you , you have been a really big help. not to sound completely stupid but he has soft mushy stools now.. not diarrhea so would it be ok to feed him the bland diet starting tonight? his bowels this am were 1/2 normal and half mush?

I would wait for him to empty out completely - so maybe skip a meal and let his GI tract rest. Once he's empty, start the bland diet and see how he does from there.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I would wait for him to empty out completely - so maybe skip a meal and let his GI tract rest. Once he's empty, start the bland diet and see how he does from there.
ok will do .. poor duke he is not going to be a happy camper tonight :(

thanks so much again!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
ok will do .. poor duke he is not going to be a happy camper tonight :(

thanks so much again!

I know it's so hard not to feed them but I try think of it this way - if I had a bad stomach, would I keep on eating or let it settle down?

Let us know how he does!

L

Lucy-licious

Aww poor baby hope his tummy gets better soon. Lucy loves bland diet so he should be a happy bunny tomorrow :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh man..I just got here..poor duke..no dinner. I didn't click on bland diet..assuming it includes rice and chicken?? If you boil rice..save the water and use this to moisten rice..I had to do this with Jake for a week..I saved the water I boiled chicken and rice in..ended up not giving him any chicken. Whole step process..but it did work!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I definitely agree with putting him on the bland diet. If he is anything like Samson he could just get an upset tummy from time to time. Samson went thru a period of several days of having loose stool a couple weeks ago. I gave him the bland diet for several days and it cleared him right up. The bland diet that my vet suggested when Samson was having tummy issues once was one part boiled chicken or ground beef to one part white rice with a couple spoons fulls of cottage cheese. Hope Duke feels better soon! And regarding how much you should feed of the NVI versus Natural Balance, Duke will need less of the NVI kibble than he did Natural Balance. My Samson was on the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon before I switched to NVI salmon, I had to cut the kibble amount down when I switched. NVI has alot more protein than Natural Balance, the more protein the less kibble he will need. I fed Samson 1 cup twice a day of the Natural Balance and went down to 3/4 cup twice a day of the NVI.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I totally agree with [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], try a bland diet, then go back to the NVI, he also could just possibly have broken a blood vessel and letting out a little blood, if his poo is just mushy and not water try the bland, then try the NVI again. My Vegas eats NVI and has rock solid stools.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
thanks everyone. I think I was giving him way too much of the NVI kibble and maybe that caused the upset? I just don't want to give up on this new food so soon. I have read so many success stories with it with dogs with allergies.. we will ride out tonight with no dinner :( I stopped and got Duke some toys " presents" as we call them and he is very excited playing right now.

can't tell you how much I just love this forum. I was in such a panic today ! you guys are a huge help! :up:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Just read this about Duke. Sounds like you dot some sound advice and I hope Duke improves. Please keep us posted.

We call new toys "presents" too. Too funny!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.