Genie is sick! :(

Gene_the demon

Oct 22, 2010
El Paso, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Gene "The Demon"
Ok sorry but i need to vent off so this is sort of a rant too...

well gene got a hold of an old bag of food i didn't even know was there... needless to say it was bad, rotten and greenish... :eek:
this was sunday morning and he was fine the rest of the day so i didnt think much of it, I feed him every morning before going to school and he is always jumping and running wanting to play, well Tuesday morning he would not move from one spot and he just looked really odd. I put his bowl for him and he would not touch the food, he drank a little water but was walking really slowly and i could tell there was something wrong, so i touch him and he is boiling hot! immediately i took him to the vet, now this is what gets me mad... some vets seem not to care about the dogs rather than make money.... so the consultation was 45 wich i think is ok, but the vet says that she would want to do all these tests on him blah blah blah which would have come out to about 500, im on a really tight budget and sadly theres no way i could have paid that much. So i get out of there with 2 meds and total i paid 120 well turns out the meds she gave me were for a bug bite gene has right now.... after the vet gene pooped outside and it was just water really gross smelling and i got scared and went back and asked her, she just says: well thats something completely different and i would have to run the tests and give him other meds :angry: she says if you want just give him pedialite for now to keep him hydrated and see how he does. So i give him pedialite every hour before going to work and this morning gene looks even worse, vomiting, diarrhea, and even worse temperature. Luckily i live in a border town and i decided to try to take him to mexico since its a lot cheaper. So i go to the vet and tell him whats going on, tell him gene had pooped again like that outside and he immediately goes outside to take a look at it. he takes his temp and says hes going to grab some poop to test for some parasites etc. i asked him how much and he said that test was free... when at the vet here she wanted me to pay 100 just for that! he comes back and tells me gene has a stomach infection :*( and that he would give him some shots and meds. He put a shot for the pain, one for the fever, and one of antibiotics all three free of charge. He prescribed 3 medicines and he had one there, total for all this i paid 43 dollars and for the other 2 meds i paid 20. I know i seem cheap right now but i really am in a tight budget, i pay my own school, car, gas, cell, etc. The thing that angered me was the fact that the vet here did not seem to give a c**p after i told her i didnt have enough to spend 500 on tests. she just looked upset and like she didnt care.

wrap-up: gene has a stomach infection and has to go back to that vet on friday so he could see how he is doing... i hope my baby gets well soon :pray:
sorry for such a long post everyone, i just needed to vent a little.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I'm sorry Gene is sick. :*( I am also sorry you have a vet that doesn't give a crap. I hope he gets to feeling better really soon.

L

Lucy-licious

Poor Gene, I hope he feels better soon :hug:
I am glad you decided to take him to another vet and that the 2nd vet was much more interested in Gene and why he was poorly.
The 1st vet should be totally ashamed their attitude stunk how can someone in a caring position look at a poorly dog and not do anything to help:angry:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sure glad you had the option of the second vet. Bet he will be your first choice now!
Hope Gene is better soon!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Poor Gene, I hope the meds kick in real fast. Keep an eye on him and keep us updated.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Aww poor Gene.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
please keep us updated. Healing thoughts for Gene and for you as well since it was a traumatic experience for you to go through.

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
Poor boy! What a horrible thing you two had to go through! Nowadays everyone is on a tight budget and that vet should know that and take that into consideration. I can't stand vets that are only in it for the money. Poor Genie was miserable and all they saw was $$$. Unbelievable. Keep us updated on him! I'll pray for a speedy recovery!!:hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor Gene. Hoping he recovers fast! It is too bad the vets dont care a little more. Well there are some great ones that do, just not enough.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I understand exactly what you are saying, I went through a similar exp with the optimilogist- except he was very nice and I did not realize I was being robbed blind until I spent over $1,000!!!

I hope Gene gets better soon. What a terrifying experience! Is he on a bland diet??? If not you should probably get him on it right away. I know I would.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience and great thinking about going to a different vet. Hopefully Genie's feels better soon and is able to eat something.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], get him on a bland diet and plenty of liquids. Sorry about your negative vet experience but some just consider the business end of the vet business. Best wishes to Gene for a speedy recovery!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Hope Gene feels better soon. I've had vet's like that too :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.