Help Needed! Tail Pocket- again!

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hiii!

I know those topic has been discussed and Iā€™m sorry! Iā€™ve searched the previous posts, but Iā€™m looking for some advice.

My boysā€™ tail has never been an issue until this summer (just before his 3rd birthday) I was cleaning it everyday using 2 malacetic wipes and every other day Iā€™ve been using gold bond.

His tail is CONSTANTLY filthy. The past month Iā€™ve been cleaning it 3 times a day, and within hours I notice the crust building up. Heā€™s already been to the vet for his anal glands so I know itā€™s not related. The smell is getting pretty bad, so I thought maybe itā€™s infected, but his tail doesnā€™t seem so bother him. Iā€™ve been using gold bond, wrinkle balm, witch hazel, you name it. Today I noticed it was more goopy, it could have been pus but Iā€™m not sure.

What else can I do? Should I get him on antibiotics? With my last dog if he went on antibiotics it would just come back, no matter how much maintenance I did.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
This has been posted before, so I'm copying and pasting in case you didn't come across it- number 1 is my suggestion, number 2 is [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

1)You can also try putting a little bit of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo (eg. Ketohex, Curaseb) mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray forcibly once daily into tail region till liquid coming out is clear. Then dry thoroughly and put on some antibiotic ointment like neosporin, polysporin, silver sulfadiazine, or Nu-Stock. As it gets better switch at end of cleaning to a cream such as Desitin or Zincofax. Do this once daily after a poo, or twice daily if dog poos twice daily.

2) Nyala lives with tail pocket infection if its not clean every 2-3 days. Solution is tail amputation which is not going to happen! This is what I do and IT WORKS!!!! Been a year now and NO problem. Do this mix:

Mix15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. If you cant find Arborvitae get Thuja or cypress and 5-8 drops of Tea Tree. Put all in 2-4 onces of Fractionated*Coconut Oil. Shake well, put surgical glove, dip your wipe in the mix and go as deep as you can in the pocket. At first I wasn't going deep (like 1-2") enough and Nyala had to go back to the vet. Vet said its a good 3" deep! But thats Nyala. Make sure you go in the corners n outside arounf the bones/screw tail part. You will never have issues after that if you do it on regular basis. You will get a lot of hair on your wipe. I use about 3 wipes. This mix is also great for ear infection, rashes, paws etc. BUT DO NOT ADD the tea tree for for ear, rashes n paws as they can like it. Only for the tail !! For the ear, just on a cotton swab and swipe inside. DO NOT poutr in the ear canal! I do once a month for my 2 pups to maintain their ears. Never had issues. My vet took the recipe as she was amazing how Nyala's tail is great.

Oh n no need to dry inside the tail or out just leave it along n it will heal. It will stink a bit but its ok as it's doing its job.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
This has been posted before, so I'm copying and pasting in case you didn't come across it- number 1 is my suggestion, number 2 is [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

1)You can also try putting a little bit of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo (eg. Ketohex, Curaseb) mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray forcibly once daily into tail region till liquid coming out is clear. Then dry thoroughly and put on some antibiotic ointment like neosporin, polysporin, silver sulfadiazine, or Nu-Stock. As it gets better switch at end of cleaning to a cream such as Desitin or Zincofax. Do this once daily after a poo, or twice daily if dog poos twice daily.

2) Nyala lives with tail pocket infection if its not clean every 2-3 days. Solution is tail amputation which is not going to happen! This is what I do and IT WORKS!!!! Been a year now and NO problem. Do this mix:

Mix15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. If you cant find Arborvitae get Thuja or cypress and 5-8 drops of Tea Tree. Put all in 2-4 onces of Fractionated*Coconut Oil. Shake well, put surgical glove, dip your wipe in the mix and go as deep as you can in the pocket. At first I wasn't going deep (like 1-2") enough and Nyala had to go back to the vet. Vet said its a good 3" deep! But thats Nyala. Make sure you go in the corners n outside arounf the bones/screw tail part. You will never have issues after that if you do it on regular basis. You will get a lot of hair on your wipe. I use about 3 wipes. This mix is also great for ear infection, rashes, paws etc. BUT DO NOT ADD the tea tree for for ear, rashes n paws as they can like it. Only for the tail !! For the ear, just on a cotton swab and swipe inside. DO NOT poutr in the ear canal! I do once a month for my 2 pups to maintain their ears. Never had issues. My vet took the recipe as she was amazing how Nyala's tail is great.

Oh n no need to dry inside the tail or out just leave it along n it will heal. It will stink a bit but its ok as it's doing its job.

THANK YOU!

If it is infected...will either of these get rid of it?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
THANK YOU!

Depends on how deep infection is- if it's deep you will need oral antibiotics, and if still superficial these methods should work.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope all this works, but for my guy, the tail was growing back into him and we had to have it removed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I hope all this works, but for my guy, the tail was growing back into him and we had to have it removed

Awe no poor guy! How is he doing now? My boy doesnā€™t seem bothered by it, but there is a certain spot if I clean too hard heā€™ll snap.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awe no poor guy! How is he doing now? My boy doesnā€™t seem bothered by it, but there is a certain spot if I clean too hard heā€™ll snap.

He was doing great within two days of surgery... he really wasnā€™t bothered too much, but the infection was really bad almost showed up overnight... once it cleared we had to have the tail removed

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
THANK YOU!

[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] basically gave you Nyalaā€™s mixture Iā€™ve been doing for over 2years n YES it works great! In the beginning I would find blood n whitish guk inside her tail. Took about 3 cleaning and blood stopped n the white guk too. So I kept cleaning her tail every 2-3 days for over a year and once a week after 18months I would have to say...Nyala has an extremely tight tail pocket. Early spring her vet saw Nyala and simply amazed how the oils worked without any meds!!! She asked me for the recipe and I gave it to her. I will have to admit, since Nyala has been on raw this early summer, I jumped a big 2 weeks cleaning her tail n now Iā€™m going to stretch it to a month see what happens. I think her eating raw n once in a while Acana is keeping the tail pocket on the back burner. But trust me that mixture really works!!

Btw I always wear surgical gloves, use baby unsented wipes and the trick is to go all the way to the end of the tail. At first I wasnā€™t doing it right till the vet told me to. I was worried hurting her.. I was wrong.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online