HELP PLEASE - Tummy Troubles???

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all, have any of you EVER experienced this with your bullies?

First, Joey is eating fine, just not playing in the evening normally. The following started yesterday morning:

Ate breakfast fine, about an 45 minutes later started "air licking" then I smelled something rancid....I figured out it was belching, smelly, then air licking. Excessive saliva at times.

She will not eat the Tums alone so I cut it in half and hid it in a small piece of cheese. She ate dinner fine, had a brief episode last evening, fine all night.

Ate breakfast this morning and now air licking and smelly belching again.

Any suggestions BEFORE I try Tums again? (Her bathroom habits have not changed, still good stools)

Thanks in advance!!

Sue (a worried bully Mom)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
New food or new bag of food or any other change in diet?
Treats? How old are they? What are they?
Anything around that she may have gotten into or foreign object she may have been chewing and swallowed?
Has it been raining more than usual over the past few days?
Have you ever tried Pepcid or similar?
Anyone else may have fed her something without you knowledge?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Hi Chip and thank you for replying

New food or new bag of food or any other change in diet? No, have not yet opened her new bag
Treats? How old are they? What are they? Zuke's mini naturals, sealed tight, maybe 2 weeks old and half way done with bag. Expires March 2019 These have been her treats since she was a baby
Anything around that she may have gotten into or foreign object she may have been chewing and swallowed? No, I work from home and she is in my office 99% of the time. Nothing that I can think of, she normally is stuck to my hip. No instances of me coming home to anything but her sleeping in her chair, as usual.
Has it been raining more than usual over the past few days? No, central PA, just cold.
Have you ever tried Pepcid or similar? Never tried Pepcid, only Tums yesterday and then today
Anyone else may have fed her something without you knowledge? No, she's only been with me.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm...not much to go on, Sue.
How about giving Pepcid(Famotidine[.25mg/lb.]) a try(twice daily) and if her symptoms persist, try a bland diet for a couple of days and see if things settle. Be watchful for changes in energy level and stool appearance.
She might simply have a little belly bug going on and it will soon pass.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hmmmm...not much to go on, Sue.
How about giving Pepcid(Famotidine[.25mg/lb.]) a try(twice daily) and if her symptoms persist, try a bland diet for a couple of days and see if things settle. Be watchful for changes in energy level and stool appearance.
She might simply have a little belly bug going on and it will soon pass.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! So odd right? What really got me was the burp SMELL !!! Uggggg, poor thing!!!

Do I give the pepcid (over the counter human stuff) before meals or any special instructions?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! So odd right? What really got me was the burp SMELL !!! Uggggg, poor thing!!!

Do I give the pepcid (over the counter human stuff) before meals or any special instructions?

I think it's fine to give with meals(breakfast and dinner) but for people I think it's recommended 1/2 hr before meals. I've been taking Nexium for many years and just take it with my meals. It works for me. Nothing special that I know of. FWIW, the .25 per lb dose is at the low end of the spectrum so if you think needed, doubling that dose would be just fine.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I think it's fine to give with meals(breakfast and dinner) but for people I think it's recommended 1/2 hr before meals. I've been taking Nexium for many years and just take it with my meals. It works for me. Nothing special that I know of. FWIW, the .25 per lb dose is at the low end of the spectrum so if you think needed, doubling that dose would be just fine.

You are AWESOME Chip!!! Thank you very much! Fingers crossed this passes soon......

Thank you very much!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello all, have any of you EVER experienced this with your bullies?

First, Joey is eating fine, just not playing in the evening normally. The following started yesterday morning:

Ate breakfast fine, about an 45 minutes later started "air licking" then I smelled something rancid....I figured out it was belching, smelly, then air licking. Excessive saliva at times.

She will not eat the Tums alone so I cut it in half and hid it in a small piece of cheese. She ate dinner fine, had a brief episode last evening, fine all night.

Ate breakfast this morning and now air licking and smelly belching again.

Any suggestions BEFORE I try Tums again? (Her bathroom habits have not changed, still good stools)

Thanks in advance!!

Sue (a worried bully Mom)

What do you feed here again like what kibbles?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] An "episode" just woke her up, awful belch smell followed by air licking and extra drool.

My sister, down the road, actually had some on-hand and brought them to the house. Joey's dosage would be 15mg and these are 20mg tablets so I cut and gave her 3/4 of the tablet. She eats dinner around 5 so about 40 minutes from now.

I will let you know in the am how she does, we both thank you again!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
What do you feed here again like what kibbles?

Hi Helene, she eats Life's Abundance, has never been on anything else. Vet says keep up the good work (ears, skin, etc.) never any issue. I pray it is as simple as reflux......awful smelling belching had me pretty worried. Hopefully pepcid works.....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
About Tums, Zantac or any form of these acids, some will roll their eyes but that’s ok....them tablets are a multi billion dollar market. These products will NEVER cure the issue. It’s temporary but guarantee the problem comes back. Government, Doctors, Vets will never take it off the market just like aspartame as wayyyy too much of a money maker n yet deadly. To avoid any stomach or digestive issues is simply stop eating bad carbs, grains, processed food, lunch meat, out of a box or can food...etc etc... use fresh food n good fats only. Example, people will say I can’t eat hot peppers, Mexicans have the lowest stomach n intestine issues on the planet n they sure eat hot. When you eat fresh n homemade, you won’t get stomach or heartburns. Do some research, why is it these issues are mostly on our Western side and barely in Europe? (Aside from UK). It’s what you eat just like what you feed your dog. Many manyyyyy years ago I use to pop Tums like candies till this old doctor from the old school said, STOP taking that as it’s addictive n you’ll be taking them everyday. The guy was right...took about 3 days to get over them, changed my diet and the heartburn went away on its own. I use to have tums in my car, my purse, house...crap they were everywhere loll.. Why as you probably all noticed I push for essential oils, eat homemade, fresh veggies etc...cause as a teen I learned the heard way..Mediterranean Dietis the way to go... Ok that’s my 2 cents worth on Tums or any other tablets like so.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Can she have something stuck in her mouth or on the roof of her mouth? Louie was doing the air licking before and it turned out he ate something outside (something that looks like a foxtail, maybe it was a teeny tiny focxtail) and he had little pokey things stuck on his gums. Another time I think he had a piece of treat stuck in his throat. I gave him a chunk of soft white bread and whatever was stuck, caught onto the bread and went down.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Can she have something stuck in her mouth or on the roof of her mouth? Louie was doing the air licking before and it turned out he ate something outside (something that looks like a foxtail, maybe it was a teeny tiny focxtail) and he had little pokey things stuck on his gums. Another time I think he had a piece of treat stuck in his throat. I gave him a chunk of soft white bread and whatever was stuck, caught onto the bread and went down.

Thanks! I ran my fingers through her mouth and poked around as best as possible, nothing. Comes in waves, not constant. So I thought probably not teeth, gums etc. Agree?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.