Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
Hey guys wondered if I could pick peoples brains about elongated palate.

So Ronnie had an endoscopy done about a month ago and was told he does have this and it's thickened by around 1c m. Now as you know he's not been keeping to great and continues to inhale food and has had another episode of choking tonight which he recovered from quickly this time by being sick. My question is around the whole palate thing now because everyone mentions how this is centred around noisy breathing which Ronnie doesn't have though he does snore really bad just feel a bit lost and didn't want to put him through unnecessary surgery thanks for reading.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if he snore heavily or has sleep apnea, then the palate will need reduction at some point. How old is Ronnie?
Have you tried softening his food so he eats slower?

beanie807

Dec 4, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Hey guys wondered if I could pick peoples brains about elongated palate.

So Ronnie had an endoscopy done about a month ago and was told he does have this and it's thickened by around 1c m. Now as you know he's not been keeping to great and continues to inhale food and has had another episode of choking tonight which he recovered from quickly this time by being sick. My question is around the whole palate thing now because everyone mentions how this is centred around noisy breathing which Ronnie doesn't have though he does snore really bad just feel a bit lost and didn't want to put him through unnecessary surgery thanks for reading.
I would also agree and like to hear feedback.. Iā€™ve been told my number out vets that they prefer not to put EB under surgery if not neededā€¦ so what does one do in this case?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Both of my bullies had their nares widened, and elongated palate surgery. IMO it helps them breathe, which seems to be a constant issue w/EBD. I also lost a puppy in surgery, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't go thru that ever again. You can never predict that your bulldog will NEVER have surgery, and I wanted to make sure they both had the best fighting chance.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would also agree and like to hear feedback.. Iā€™ve been told my number out vets that they prefer not to put EB under surgery if not neededā€¦ so what does one do in this case?
Slow feed bowl and/or have the surgery. ANY Vet that thinks the risk of choking to death is less than the risk of complications from palate surgery is an idiot. Find a new Vet before you pup dies.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We had the surgery for Monty. It made a huge difference to his breathing. He still snored but it didn't sound laboured at all.
Find a good bully vet though. Most important.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think we would all agree to not put bulldogs under for surgery if there was another option. The thing is, it is often needed. IMO, choking with an elongated plate is when it should be very seriously considered.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.